Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

TVsVeryOwn posted:

My town is selling bear resistant trash cans and the marketing video is oddly cute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvqrTcrUDI

Holy crap, my town is selling the same trash cans.

How could we establish whether we are in the same town without revealing to everyone else what town it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Trash bear town? :tbear:

When a bear knocks down its second trash can, they're pretty much sealing their own death :(

cruft

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Well mine is in my profile because I live dangerously.

Different town :(

Same mountain range, though!

cruft

Could someone tell me when the year of butts began? I'd like to mark the end of it on my 2022 calendar.

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

i like palindromic numbers a lot, and 3003 is pretty good. the last chunk of my license plate is 61316 and it makes me happy.

How many chunks is your license plate divided into?

Asking for a friend.

cruft

On behalf of all lurkers I would just like to say:

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

sorry wrong account I was on my 420 lurker accounts before, now back to impersonating all of byob

That's a lot of accounts!

A little envelope calculation here: at :10bux: each, you've spent over $3000 on accounts!

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 8, 2021

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

if byob was just me posting with one other person with many alts i'd still like it

That one other person is your IRL alt.

cruft

cruft posted:

That one other person is your IRL alt.

Maybe multiple personality disorder is actually just too many tabs open.

cruft

DID SOMEBODY SAY ERMINE PICS?

cruft

When it warms up, they turn back into stoats. Here's a stoat.

cruft

aldantefax posted:

y'all,

https://picrew.me/image_maker/574511

create your character, if u dare

cruft

biosterous posted:

i started off by doing it as a joke, kinda? like i'd drop something or knock something over, and then i'd throw my arms up and boldly say "CHAMPION!"

and then i got used to jokingly celebrate my failures enough to become comfortable to jokingly celebrate my successes, too

and then they stopped being jokes about my successes :unsmith:

This made me smile. Top post, A+++++ would read again. boisterous, this is awesome and I'm glad it worked out for you.

I did something similar with social anxiety and now I teach and run conferences. I sometimes wonder if getting there the hard way makes you more willing to play up your hard-earned strengths.

cruft

Lizard Wizard posted:

my work's pay portal looks like this now

Do the turtles crawl around? That would be rad.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

cruft

Lizard Wizard posted:

my work's pay portal looks like this now

That one turtle is gettin' up in the other turtle's business. NSFW, I'd file a complaint with HR if I were you.

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I want to learn to play accordion but it seems hard and accordions are expensive?

Have you considered the concertina? My wife got one and it seems like a really difficult pain in the rear end.

She's getting better every day, though, so apparently it's something humans are capable of learning. Just not this human.

cruft

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Fun fact about the concertina, the reeds are structured very similarly as in a harmonica, so if you can play one you can quickly pick up the other.

It sure as heck *sounds* like a harmonica. Not surprising to hear they're laid out the same. IIRC el cheapo concertinas are built around harmonicas? Could be remembering wrong.

I guess if you're thinking about learning accordion, and are willing to accept a few compromises to save money, you should try the harmonica!

cruft

*** YEAR OF BUTTS ***

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Have you ever tried screaming into a pillow? I recommend it, it is good.

Oh hey, I bet the neighbors would stop complaining as much!

Thanks for the tip, Kief Richards!

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

I love, too e helpful;online.

Me too, buddy. :beerpal:

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Ironically for all my meat talk I'm pretty sure I'm heading back toward vegan and I can't tell if it's bc of my eating disorder or if it's because I'm tired of eating animals again but vOv I just live in this meat chassis, the haunted tapioca makes the decisions.

Hello, I'm a vegetarian who's recovered from an ED. I don't think they're related though.

Have you read about the tick bite that makes you allergic to meat?

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Now I'm mostly surrounded by people who have cottoned on to my bullshit and they're like "eat, fucker, you will die" and it's good to have friends that are kinda mean sometimes.

I'm glad you have people like that! This isn't mean, this is caring in a way that probably belies understanding what works for you. That's great! Maybe talk to them about your dietary changes.

The "you look great" feedback is so horrible. As a dude, I didn't get that as hard or consistently as gals at the time did, thank goodness.

Mine was control based too. I think I worked past it by figuring out how to assert control over other parts of my life that were more meaningful and productive. I wonder if in some weird way going veg actually allowed me to go into dietary hard mode in a way that let me get enough calories. Hmm. The 1980s were a different time.

I keep trying to wrap this up with a joke, but it's not coming to me. So I guess just :glomp:

cruft

jorty posted:

good morning!

i'm excited because there's corn here and i haven't had it in what feels like at least a year

How did the corn get there?!

The answer to this could be either boring or horrifying. Hoping for the former, friend.

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

is corn the nickname of a very cute dog?

"Adorable" is a third outcome I hadn't considered.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

I highly recommend that if you're going to teach 150 years of american writing that you include people traditionally left out of literature overviews. I have faith that you will, for various reasons (mostly that you're a good egg) but, please. Please do.

So many white American cismale writers get thrown out as examples of great American fiction, particularly, but give me Harriet E Wilson* over literally any white dude.

*Possibly too early and definitely will get you called on the carpet by your Dean.

One day I decided to try only reading Science Fiction written by black women for a month and now I can't tolerate the stuff I was reading before because it annoys me too much.

I hope this serves as a cautionary tale.

cruft

mailorder bees! posted:

hard to go back to the standard fare once you've had the Good poo poo

I mean, the old 1950s stuff was good poo poo too, but when your trope is based on novelty, new authors that break out of the mold are going to do a really good job stealing away your audience. And "how would humanity adapt to being enslaved by aliens, based on historical experience" winds up being a lot more interesting than "manly man vs. the wimpy martians".

cruft

How Wonderful! posted:

The ideas I was tossing around were:

I feel like you should absolutely teach your dissertation, unless you spent so long on it that you no longer find it interesting. The rest of the list seems, like, pretty much ideal to have in your pocket for when they say "that was a great first year, do you have any ideas for additional stuff?"

As a former student and current teacher, I can tell you there are no classes quite as good as the ones that the instructor has a passion for. Excited instructors who are able to communicate their excitement seem to be able to rope in people who may have only had a passing interest; but more importantly, teachers with passion provide those who have their own passions with a model for how they can successfully explore that.

Also, you're going to have enough going on with a new job that, when things get rocky, being able to "fall back" on something you know tons about and love will make you look like a total rock star. It ain't easy to find inspiration when you're constantly getting pulled into meetings and having to deal with problematic students and/or parents.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a lot to look forward to!

cruft

How Wonderful! posted:

"Well, it was an easy final exam I guess, but I don't really get why the only prompt was to draw a snail with human breasts."

If you could scan these in and PM them to me, I have a friend who would really appreciate it.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

And just so we're clear, gently caress Asimov and I stand by that.

This post led me down an hours-long rabbit hole that ended with a really thoughtful Medium essay about how to deal with well-written, influential, formative writing by problematic or downright horrible authors.

Thanks, Kief Richards!

cruft

Manifisto posted:

I'd like to read this and probably will, but I wonder if we will ever escape this hellscape in which virtually every content provider requires an account before you can read/watch stuff :sigh:

I hadn't realized that Medium was paywalling itself. Apparently I'm not as well-read as I'd like to think.

If it's any consolation, Manifisto, all of my most influential essays and software continue to be available for free worldwide without needing to set up an account or anything, at my dumb vanity domain. You're welcome.

cruft

HELLO AND WELCOME
to
FORUMS POSTER
SPOOKY GHOST

who has been lurking
and is going to post in this thread
any minute now!

We think your av is cool
and I for one
would like to know
why it has a mouse pointer for a hand.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

But I'm southern and have a heavy accent (you've heard it) and I pronounce it "burral."

It's okay. In some parts of England "saw" rhymes with "adore".

Accents are cool!

cruft

cruft posted:

It's okay. In some parts of England "saw" rhymes with "adore".

Accents are cool!

In my accent, "pillow" is like "pell-oh", and "mountain" has a gutteral stop, like "mou'ehn".

I get super excited about accents so I'm going to try to not go off on another cruft rant.

cruft

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Kind of looks like a Montel to me.

Seconding Montel

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

Hey byob this chill little friend

Literally jumped on my hands as I was in hectors terrarium and I carried him over to my posting station and now he's posting with me

Shall we name him??

Hold up, are we sure about the he/him pronouns here? I mean grasshoppers don't wear clothes or jewelry so we have like 0 social cues to go on here.

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

i took a long and intense look at his genitals like i usually do with any kind of visitors so no worries!!
this friend in particular that I'm inclined to call Keith is a desert locust by the way, hence the super beautiful looking long wings

Please give Keith my apologies for mis-speciesing him! It was purely accidental and can be chalked up to my own ignorance.

You two go big plans for tomorrow?

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Oh yeah? I'm not even wearing pants to work. And I'm working in the office today.

Get on my level.

I would love to finally escape from the tyranny of pants by working in a pants-free workplace. Are you hiring?

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

your legs and genitals need ventilation at work

And let's not forget about the butt.

cruft

more falafel please posted:

we kept bees for a few years but never had a good enough setup to keep them alive through the winter. it seemed kind of cruel and expensive to keep buying packages when we had no way of ensuring they'd be alive in 8 months

I did the same! My spouse wanted chickens and I didn't want chicken poo poo, so we compromised on bees.

First hive absconded. Jerks. I walked with them to the edge of the canyon because it was kind of cool to see.

New colony. Got stung twice, didn't like it.
Spring came, no bee activity.
Suddenly there was *lots* of bee activity as some other hive raided the honey from the creepy dead bee hive they'd discovered.
It was like bee raiders of the lost ark.

I was a little sad about killing a bunch of bees. I would have been more sad if they'd had cute mammal faces.

Then somebody pointed out that European honeybees are a non-native invasive species here, so we made a couple of native bee houses and stopped repairing gopher holes in the yard. Hopefully that helps the little gals out.

I mean just look at this cute native bee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

I dreamed that I thought up this incredibly cool URL. Like, when you saw it you would be all "whoa, that is such a cool URL!" When I woke up I was all "I need to write that down, I bet there's something awesome there." But I didn't, and now I can't remember what it was!