Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'll also echo bringing Nona. She seems like the most sensible of this lot right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
There's none like Nona

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I don't hate any character but I severely dislike Ren, I hope that they change this later on since I do like some of the lines he comes up with.

If I didn't want to know more about Nona I would have voted Jonas, but I gotta learn more about her character, so now it's girl time. Bring Nona!

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
I feel like taking Nona along would be a really bad idea in the long run. Ren and Jonas clearly don't like one another, and leaving them alone just seems like a recipe for disaster to me, especially with tensions as high as they are. I vote for taking Ren along because good lord Jonas needs a time-out right now.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I actually like Alex the least, but I do think all the characters are great (in terms of feeling real).

I think the interpersonal relationships are excellently written, but the setting is either ludicrously slapdash or intentionally confusing. It's an uninhabited island ... except for one person ... oh, but she's dead ... and there's a military base ... except it's decommissioned... or maybe active ... but nobody's there even if it is... there's a park or maybe a wildlife refuge... there were indigenous people... or maybe nobody until the Europeans came ... also there's ferry service to this tiny island with shops and a 'town' that nobody lives in.

I'd vote for Nona just because we haven't seen that much of her.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Nona is probably the worst choice, but the other two are being such whiney babies. Think about Nona, do you really want to stick her with whoever you leave behind throwing a tantrum?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gonna swim against the tide here and say you should take Jonas. He's already accustomed to the crazy poo poo going on, and he was there during the Clarissa insanity. It doesn't seem like Nona would deal well with a possessed (possibly dead?) Clarissa.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Jonas. Jonas is our literal bro. He has never let us down and I'd feel bad about being a jerk to him now. Ren's all right but he's being kind of a putz, and Nona is...what has Nona ever done for us?

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Nothing bonds teenagers like the prospect of an untimely demise, so leave Ren with Nona! We'd be doing our best friend a huge favor and we get to take reliable and (mostly) sensible Jonas with us.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Molly Millions posted:

Nona is...what has Nona ever done for us?

She gave us all that laced beer, remember?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Nona. Not because it makes the most sense but out of wanting to get to know her better.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm gonna say Ren if only because you say this is around the point he started to grate on you and I'm going to assume that means you didn't take him, because I want you to see stuff you didn't before.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
Clearly the boys have some serious issues to work out and if television has taught us anything, it's that the best way to resolve serious interpersonal conflicts is to be trapped in a confined space together, so I'll back team Nona.

In general, I'm getting more and more of an uncanny valley vibe from the dialog. I don't know is the dialog is heavily recycled between paths, but I'd expect either Alex or Jonas to be a bit more shaken from watching someone lob themselves out a window and then disappear. I could buy them pretending that they say nothing, but witty banter within an hour of watching an apparent suicide seems odd.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
So hey, did anyone else notice that just before the group went to the screen with the comms tower, Nona's nametag changed colour? Right when she was starting to express disgust at her own voice? Her name turned green, which I think was also the general colour of the [Blank]s and the Radio dialogue...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I didn't, but, uh, wow. Super good eye on that! Let's keep an eye out for further stuff like that. You wonder how much the ghosts are responsible for peaks of emotion, especially negative emotion.

So Nona won out in a surprisingly close race! (I say surprisingly because when I played I don't think I seriously considered anybody else. I was sick of Jonas AND Ren at this point, and just really thought they both needed a time-out.

So lots to discuss this update. I'm spoilering my stuff, don't feel compelled to spoiler yours.

So Clarissa, right? It's still an open question to me how much of this is her, how much is possession, what the HECK is going on.

You wonder if that little rewind we had with Michael was what everybody else has when they're mumbling backwards? Or is it something different? Are we really back with him? Could we change things, or is it just kind of an emotional test?

Actually, that last question leads me to a kind of informal thread poll.

It's not too late for me to re-do that flashback scene. Do we trust our nega-selves? Should I take "our" advice? I did here, but are we sure it isn't just some trick?

Also: bonus video for this time is anomalies - first big pack coming soon!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 5, 2016

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
I was under the impression that Michael died longer than a year ago. A year seems pretty quick for Alex's mom to remarry and for us to have a falling out this bad with Clarissa. Also, I feel like it was said that it happened when Alex was younger. Was it mentioned earlier in the game exactly when he died?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, let's stick with it. Clarissa seems so nice.

Well, this is quickly becoming one of my favourite games ever, next to Planescape and Dragonfall.

EDIT: Have we seen this one yet? Passing some rocks at 6:33

EDIT2:
On a rewatch: Look at your map. Carefully. Read it. The guided tour is at 102.3. I think the green signs broadcast on that wavelength.

So was the first anomaly, which sure sounded like a guided tour.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 6, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I just finished #4, and I don't think Alex and Jonas are giving Ren a fair shake. For all we know, his heroic marijuana consumption shielded his mind from Clarissa-type zombification/possession. Ren understands the importance of keeping his mind limber in these trying times, and we could all learn a lot from him :colbert:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You know, I wouldn't totally rule that out.

Also: that is incredible No Gravitas!

So here are just a few lil' extras:

Here is Ren's possessed murmurings forwards

And backwards

I don't know that I hear much of anything either way - anybody have any ideas what else we could do to get some words? I mean I'm REASONABLY sure there's SOMETHING in there.

And yes, I'm way too proud of the fact that I tagged these clips "trance". Ho ho ho.

Also, props to my pal Niggurath for getting the Oxenfree background: it's titled "Sit. Still. Bear. Fruit."

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
"All the outs in free." Said for children's hiding games, to declare anyone still hiding can come in without penalty.

Thought to be pidgin-ized to "olly olly Oxenfree".

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?
I tried cleaning up some of the noise in the mumbling files using Audacity though it didn't help much. I do hear a lot more in the forward recording this time:

"They left and (?) and uh the window came" near the beginning, the word "heaven" at the end of that quiet section around 17 seconds in, and finally "I tried to". The deeper voice might say "outside" near the end and then something about a rope right before the radio clicks on but I'm less confident in those.

The only clear thing I hear in the reversed track is "Alex" right around six seconds in.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

That's excellent! I'll try some further cleaning-up techniques. It's a busy week, but I'll try to have Clarissa's possessed speech up tomorrow and then the bonus bit. I wish we knew more about what Ren might be pondering, Jonas' past recommends him thinking about his mom, but we don't know of any real trauma that Ren would have.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright alright alright.

So I keep TRYING to get the bonus stuff, but wandering into where anomalies are keeps progressing the PLOT, so I have to do COMMENTARY. It's hard to be me, is what I'm saying.

I recorded it now, though! So here's an episode, and the anomalies come as soon as I can hack them together. Then after THAT, we're coming up to a judgement call that you all will be making, that is, I'd say, the crux of the game. And I like it. It's not at all obvious what the right move is! But for now, consider what that time loop knot thing is supposed to mean.

Edit: Title for this episode is from a theory about the origin of "ollie ollie oxenfree", which is that it got it's start in the German "Alles, alles aus en frei", or "everybody (who's) out comes in free". Again, a child's game.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 13, 2016

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bacter posted:

Alright alright alright.

So I keep TRYING to get the bonus stuff, but wandering into where anomalies are keeps progressing the PLOT, so I have to do COMMENTARY. It's hard to be me, is what I'm saying.

I recorded it now, though! So here's an episode, and the anomalies come as soon as I can hack them together. Then after THAT, we're coming up to a judgement call that you all will be making, that is, I'd say, the crux of the game. And I like it. It's not at all obvious what the right move is! But for now, consider what that time loop knot thing is supposed to mean.

Edit: Title for this episode is from a theory about the origin of "ollie ollie oxenfree", which is that it got it's start in the German "Alles, alles aus en frei", or "everybody (who's) out comes in free". Again, a child's game.

Ah, I am really sad we don't get more Nona time.

Some of the images during the ghost sequence in the house are: Undersea, orange page with 2 in the corner, another orange page with 22 in the corner. Finally the house being partially there in some outdoorsy scene.

Another neat thing: There are almost, but not quite 60 pairs of eyes there. Wasn't it 58 drowned people?

Speculation time!

The ghosts infest with radio waves. "The waves we think". Their thoughts are radio waves. When we tune into a channel, we suck up those waves, allowing for exorcisms.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bacter posted:

"Alle Alle Auch Sind Frei", which is grammatically incorrect and, even if you rearrange it, just means "everybody, everybody's also free." It's pretty nonsensical.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Like, "kid's game" nonsensical, or like "probably nobody would ever say this" nonsensical?

(Also: name changed!)

Edit: I'm glad for the information! Tracing etymology is super weird/hard, and bad translations from other languages seem like kind of a mainstay.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 13, 2016

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bacter posted:

Like, "kid's game" nonsensical, or like "probably nobody would ever say this" nonsensical?

"Alle, alle sind jetzt frei" is something I could see being said, maybe even "Alle, alle sind auch frei" if it's some traditional children's game thing (though it's not in German), but definitely not the suggested version.

e: to be clear, this isn't a complaint, just information!

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 13, 2016

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Oh man, I don't know how long ago it started, but by this video the game is very subtly rocking the screen back and forth like you're on a boat or something. It's super subtle but really adds to the sense of queasy uneasiness.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I noticed that movement, too, and I didn't see it earlier. I was wondering if it was tied into a POV from the magic boat what can't float on water without keys. (A military hovercraft would have been much cooler.)

e: Looking back, it was in other interior shots too (like the tower).

"alle euch sind frei" is just as potentially corrupted into 'oxen' (euch = /oik/) and makes more sense than the 'auch' variation. It would mean "all of you are free". None of the German origins of the phrase seem as plausible as the 'all ye' theory, though.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 14, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was wondering why Clarissa seems to be the one most thoroughly, ah, utilized by this force, and it occurred to me that maybe it's because they're on the same emotional wavelength (:v:) as the baddies. They are indignant and bitter about what they've lost, and Clarissa's issues are all out in the open now concerning Michael and Alex, perhaps she resonates with them more strongly than the others. That would suggest that anyone they've been "talking" through probably has something pent up inside them, like Jonas and his mom, but it makes me wonder what might have been happening with Ren, or if perhaps one reason Ren's babbling was so indistinct was because he's not on their wavelength.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Lotish posted:

I was wondering why Clarissa seems to be the one most thoroughly, ah, utilized by this force, and it occurred to me that maybe it's because they're on the same emotional wavelength (:v:) as the baddies. They are indignant and bitter about what they've lost, and Clarissa's issues are all out in the open now concerning Michael and Alex, perhaps she resonates with them more strongly than the others. That would suggest that anyone they've been "talking" through probably has something pent up inside them, like Jonas and his mom, but it makes me wonder what might have been happening with Ren, or if perhaps one reason Ren's babbling was so indistinct was because he's not on their wavelength.

Ren's hiding his feeling for Nona, but there seems to be something between him and Alex too. He seems more hurt than he should be when she snubs him for other people, and although I can't afford to buy the game yet to test the alternate paths where you can drop him in the poo poo with Clarissa, I'd bet he'd be hella upset if you did. Maybe he's mad for Alex re Michael? Maybe he was involved in it?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Two things!

First, the long-awaited bonus video. Most of it. It's hard to wander around without triggering more STORY.

Which, speaking of...

We've got a decision to make. This came RIGHT after the last update, and would have kind of pushed it to a too-long thing.

And

this is important enough that it probably deserves its own mini-video. This is a big one, my droogs! Remember, our choices matter, and further recall that this is the offspring of some Telltale folks. They did walking dead, The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones... these people aren't afraid of a sad ending. I'm not trying to influence you one way or another, just, well, let's see what you think!

Do we:

Abandon Clarissa, assuming she's already embraced / been possessed by the ghosts and isn't saveable?

Or

Try to save Clarissa, and reject the deal?

Bacter fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 15, 2016

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
If you're taking feedback, I don't think overlaying music over bonus videos is a great idea. English isn't my first language and the added interference made it really difficult for me to pick up what some of those transmissions were saying.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Cut your loses. Sever and heal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Take the deal.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Does the, uh, 'top option' ("Permission") count as a choice or as clarification? I always like to exhaust all lines of inquiry.

If not, gently caress the deal. We leave together or not at all.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
On one hand, we were told that Clarissa and Michael should stick together. We told Michael that too. He drowned here, so shouldn't we let Clarissa go to him?

On the other hand... We know that these "things" are people with childlike minds. They play games. Who's to say that this isn't another game? If we abandon Clarissa, and they turn out to be lying about taking her, what then?

Keep Clarissa.

E: To further clarify my choice - they're panicking now. They sent us that vision of Ren so we'd waste time going to check on him. They blocked us from reaching the top of the hill. They tried to break us by telling us all the ways Ren "died". And then they used Jonas to tell us our plan won't work.

They're trying to break us.

Roro fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 14, 2016

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
gently caress them and gently caress their deal

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Aumanor posted:

If you're taking feedback, I don't think overlaying music over bonus videos is a great idea. English isn't my first language and the added interference made it really difficult for me to pick up what some of those transmissions were saying.

Sure - I'll get a non-music version out tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rappaport posted:

Take the deal.

Yes, take it.

• Locked thread