Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'd never heard of Oxenfree before this thread, but I'm really digging the approach to horror it has. The "creepy and mysterious radio signals" theme reminds me of the movie Banshee Chapter, which I quite like.

I don't think I'd actually want to play the game itself as choose-your-own-adventure games/elements rub me the wrong way, so I'm glad I get to see it as an LP!

As for pointing out rock cairns, people have probably listed all these already, but they were using time-codes and I didn't think to do that, so I'm not sure for all of them. Here's what I noted down while watching, anyway:

One to the right of the smallest cemetery.

Another one on the path above the hut on the same "screen" as the smallest cemetery?

One up and to the left after the tent loop and the silhouette* - and then maybe another one to the right of that, near the bench. It's kind of hard to tell; the game's pretty foggy and indistinct, and then there's the artefacting from Youtube on top of that.

*Bacter mentioned the silhouette reminding him of "nuclear shadows" - and they do remind me of that too, but also of another horror movie which uses a similar aesthetic: Kairo. My favourite movie, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I mentioned earlier in the thread that the "spooky radio transmissions" theme in Oxenfree reminded me a lot of Banshee Chapter, and as it turns out, the tune used in the first stone cairn anomaly you listened to in the round-up video also features prominently in that movie. It's apparently from a real-world "numbers station" broadcast called "Swedish Rhapsody" after that tune.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Bacter posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that existential terror beats a dude with a knife any day.

:agreed:

I mentioned it in passing earlier in the thread, but anyone who appreciates this kind of horror should watch Kairo. Very scary, very clever. (Fair warning; I tend to recommend this movie at the drop of a hat.)

Fake edit: NOT the American remake. I know it's passé to say that remakes are worse than the originals, but in this case at least... christ what a disaster. :negative:

• Locked thread