Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gorson posted:

:frogon:

That sidecar is loving amazing, and attaching it to a CB400F? You sir, are brilliant.

By april. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
This is great. What can you possibly do for her birthday next year though?

How are you figuring out exactly where to weld the joints on?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sofullofhate posted:

Not a chance - for multiple reasons. Super unsafe on left-hand-drive roads, and I am not going to cut up a rare 50 year old sidecar worth probably 3x as much as the bike to solve this problem. I'll build a left-side exhaust first.

Current status: very, very happy that I bought a refurbished tank to be painted. The one on the bike is full of rust. When I siphoned out the tank, I saw dime-sized chunks of rust in the hose. gently caress. Thank goodness there's at least an inline fuel filter in there. The bike is also a little bent. It wasn't obvious in photos, but both fenders are rusty / pitted and misaligned, as are the headlights / gauges. Fortunately the wheels and forks seem straight. There's a lot more rust on the frame and other parts of the bike than I thought. It is really starting to look like I'm going to have to take the thing down to bare metal and have it painted, which I'm not stoked about. The front shocks are a mess too; seeping fluid, and making awful clunking noises. They need seals, probably springs, and definitely oil. The costs of buying a 40 year old motorcycle that hasn't been on the road in 14 years, I suppose. :derp:

The sidecar's wheel is on, and I've built a crappy little wood stand to position it appropriately for mocking up the mounts. I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to create leaner mounts given the position of the pipes, so I'm looking at either relocating the pipes, building a super complex mount that goes around them, or giving up on the idea of a leaner and going with a hard three-point mount. :suicide:

I have created a to-do list in the garage. It's long. I have less than a month until my wife's birthday.

I've got this. :bang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLUW5ppDjAE

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sofullofhate posted:

which I thought was going to be pretty easy. :downsrim:

:allears:

What's the list of your major issues at the moment?

1. Exhaust
2. That rod in the frame

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Goddamn. Well done.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sofullofhate posted:

Thanks, I'll look into that. This isn't going to spend any time offroad, or much on the freeway, and it's worth noting that this sidecar weighs ~120 lbs, so the amount of rigidity required in the mounts is lower than most rigs. The tubing is also 11ga. I can literally pick up the motorcycle by the front mount. :) Regardless, I'll look for opportunities to triangulate things where I can.

At any rate, I presented it to her tonight. I've explained the things that still need to be sorted (upper sidecar mounts, bushings for lower mounts on the sidecar side, bike running insanely rich), but she loves it and won't stop talking about it, so I think it had the desired effect.

As presented tonight:

She's asked me not to post the reaction video, so I won't.

Now to button this project up, and start ordering bits for the turbo Monster...

Oh, and of course, I have new brake lines and pads and a new reg/rect for the XS750. And carb rebuild kits. So that'll be an action-packed evening or two soon.

That looks great. Well done. Love the exhaust too - I can see why you wanted to keep that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Brilliant! I demand video.

• Locked thread