Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
I'm feeling a bit slow: does the rear mount not have a rotational point, or spot where it can angle?

I have no idea how you're going to manage an upper mount (or more than one?), but then five minutes ago I didn't know what a heim joint was.

This thread is fantastic, keep up the great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

sofullofhate posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately when I looked at it hard enough it became obvious that a leaner setup wasn't going to work. It will be a rigid 3-point mount (4 if I can figure out a 4th) - third point will go from the sidecar fore/aft external rail to the rear seat support frame section (the ~45 degree section aft of the rider's right foot). In this setup, the heim joints just give me some toe and pitch adjustment for the sidecar, and also provide some adjustability to make up for some of my fabrication slop (there's definitely some fabrication slop...)

Not what I'd hoped for, but it will still be very cool.

Ah, nuts. I was hoping you'd figured something out. In my head, I just can't sort out how to both allow for lean and keep the side car from being dangerously floppy. Rigid mount is definitely the way to go, even if you have to re-learn how to turn.

And this project is already very cool. Keep on.

• Locked thread