Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Why do people keep talking about living with roommates like it's some extreme concession only necessary for those living in metro areas.

Every person in my age group (mid to late 20's) that I know has roommates unless they landed a job that brings in cash way above the average level. This is all over San Diego county (not anywhere near the metro area). Nobody can afford to live on their own. It's either parents or roommates for all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We are never going to fix these issues until such a time (never) as we acknowledge and deal with the fact that we don't have nearly enough legitimate work to keep everyone busy for 40 hours a week so we've made up a bunch of dumb bullshit instead.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Whatev posted:

FYI I confused her position with the account executive position at Yelp, which are the entry level Yelp folk who harass local biz. It looks like she was a customer service rep at the Eat24 division of Yelpb and actually was being paid min wage in SF, which is a bit over 12 per hour. My bad! I assumed it was the former because that one does require a college degree. So disregard that figure I gave with the 35k and such

Whatev

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Prav posted:

people seriously need to stop giving money to internet beggars scammers

:agreed:

It's actually really bad because it gives people a false sense that they have done their part to make the world a better place so they don't bother to actually do something substantial. Not only is it a textbook example of treating the symptoms and not the cause, but it only treats the one (whiniest, online) symptom out of tens of thousands.

Donating money to one underpaid youth with no economic opportunity does not solve anything. Changing the fact that youths are driving themselves into debt and have no economic opportunity would solve something. But that's a lot harder than throwing $10 at someone online based on a whim.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The optimal strategy for operating in a free market is to maximize your own freedom and minimize the market's.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Most people who work full time and live alone have messy kitchens.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, a "useless degree" was not a concept 20 years ago. A whole generation had it pounded in to their heads to go college no matter what. If they had the aptitude and inclination to become a doctor/engineer/whatever out of it then that was swell, but the message on all fronts was simply "get any degree and you will be successful in life". Then when they did exactly that they got laughed at and blamed for not getting a "better" degree.

This is ignoring that fact that even a loving engineering degree isn't a sure ticket nowadays. I'm sure there are engineers right now being told "you should have gotten a degree in civil engineering, not mechanical engineering you IDIOT."

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 25, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

many of these jobs are not glamorous, don't have a juice bar or sleeping pods as part of the benefits package, and might require you to stay there for 5-10 years before you can get an optimal shift/vacation schedule. But they are out there.

This is some false flag poo poo right here. Few young people have jobs right now with any glamor anyway, don't receive any benefits much less a loving juice bar, or could even expect to keep their job for 5-10 years much less achieve an ideal schedule.

You are blaming workers for the lack of opportunity they face. Millennials or not people will jump at a good paying, steady job even if it ain't perfect. This is like one of those retarded boomer-pandering articles that say "millennials just don't want cars or houses!!!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

I've seen it with my own eyes at my job. Most people getting hired are 10-15 years older than me. The employees with the biggest attendance problems tend to be younger. The people most likely to quit because they want to travel or work some other job are in their twenties. Who do you really think is going to value the job more, a Millennial who still lives with his parents and is still figuring all this stuff out, or a 50yo with a family to help support who aged out of his previous career?

I don't have any idea because you haven't said gently caress all about the job or why anybody would or would not want it. You're trying to make me argue with a void.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Forums poster discovers one weird job millennials don't want!

*zero details follow*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pretty telling that any thread that deals with low economic opportunity is automatically a "millennial thread".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Top City Homo posted:

maybe she has nice tits and it will work out

Hard to tell from just that photo but I'd say at least 50/50 that there are some bomb rear end titties just out of frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Snatch Duster you are funnier when trolling Games.

• Locked thread