Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moltke
May 13, 2009

Agag posted:

Can't wait for ten pages of "by my bootstraps" stories itt.

remember when bootstraps was a punchline in this forum, and not a milieu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009

ProperCoochie posted:

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn’t even have time for a boyfriend, and didn’t really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, “How is your friend Audrey doing?” She replied, “Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She’s always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn’t even show up for classes because she’s too hung over.”

Her wise father asked his daughter, “Why don’t you go to the Dean’s office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.”

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father’s suggestion, angrily fired back, “That wouldn’t be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I’ve invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!”

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, “Welcome to the Republican party.”

same

Moltke
May 13, 2009

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

The whole 'not having a roommate' is actually the weirdest thing about that whole article to me. A lot of the techies I know up in San Fran are making a comfy six figures and still usually have roommates to try and save up.

Maybe she has one and just didn't mention it, but you would think she would in that whole money ramble.

a lot of the techies i know are dumb babbies only valued for their autism who dont know how good they actually have it and their complaining is 10000% more obnoxious than those trapped in a subhuman standard of living

Moltke
May 13, 2009
hate your minimum wage job? have you considered making more money? :smug:

Moltke
May 13, 2009
it only took goons 3 pages to come up with the perfect bootstrapping plan for this girl. how many pages do you think it would take to help the other 4 billion people living in poverty make good decisions so they arent poor anymore? math goons help me out, lib arts here

Moltke fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 20, 2016

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Aralan posted:

Is "don't move across the country to San Francisco to work a minimum wage job" really an outlandish plan, because I'm pretty sure she could've panhandled at her local interstate exit while she worked on her Twitter portfolio and done better

you're acting like these minimum wage jobs would just disappear if she didnt take one

Moltke
May 13, 2009

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

she's going to be loving fine dude

do you promise

Moltke
May 13, 2009
what she needs is a good long hitch in vietnam to build character

Moltke
May 13, 2009
why cant she just stay at home all day in mobile alabama masturbating retards like i do? whats all this twitter nonsense?

Moltke
May 13, 2009
downright good fer nuttin city slicker talk is what that is :rolleyes:

Moltke
May 13, 2009
personal responsibility :shrug:

Moltke
May 13, 2009
you cant fix an economic system that is objectively broken because, as this thread shows, anytime you suggest theres a problem, millions of bellowing goons descend shrieking THIS IS THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Plenty of job openings at my dick sucking factory for anyone who's interested. Pay isn't good, but it's honest work.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
up until about 15 years ago you could afford to live in the middle of manhattan making low wages like these. failure of the government to adequately regulate rental units is one of the major driving forces behind nyc and san fran becoming unaffordable. i dont think its entitled to want to have a similar standard of living that our parents and forebears had.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

no thats entitled

oh, ok

Moltke
May 13, 2009

crabcakes66 posted:

Isn't this pretty much the definition of entitlement?

I mean you could argue that entitlement is not a bad or unreasonable thing in this case. But it's still entitlement.

maybe in a strict legalistic sense, but not in the pejorative sense that people are using it in this thread

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

lol just lol

??? it's true. I have lived in nyc my whole life and have seen the way it used to be.

quote:

nah it's not like rents were regulated a ton more in the past. It's more about inequality that pushes the market to such crazy heights. i think it's not a coincidence that nyc and SF, the homes of incredible wealth from wall st and the tech industry, are the cities that are distorted so badly.

hundreds of thousands of rent-stabilized units have disappeared from nyc over the past 20 years due to outdated regulation, so yes. after rent hits a certain threshold per month, a unit can be de-regulated, and that threshold was never adjusted for inflation and hasnt been updated in decades.

quote:

there's also pressure from the weird international poo poo going on right now, where foreign wealth is looking for safety and the hot US real estate is where they want to park it. in the 80s LA was the in city and that's where the japanese were buying all sorts of overpriced stuff. this too shall pass.

yes, developers are being incentivized by the state government to build large towers with units that sell for millions, but which sit empty for most (or all) of the year because they are being bought by wealthy foreigners to launder cash. the market is actively working against the housing demand, which is a place for rent regulation to step in (but isnt happening due to corruption),

quote:

some people also have a kinda wrong image of the standard of living their parents had when they were young, even if they grew up middle class. lots of people in the 60s lived in little 1000 sq foot houses and thought that was fine for a whole family.

1000 sq feet is gigantic by new york standards, and a great deal of our housing stock was built in the 20s and 30s, so most people here actually have a pretty good idea about what living standards were like for our parents and grandparents.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I almost did what this girl did, but in Los Angeles. This almost happened a month ago. The difference is that I asked friends for advice and they all slapped me across the head and told me I was making a gigantic mistake. I decided to not make the move to Los Angeles.

LA is super affordable and is one of the few major cities you could get by only working part-time in a coffee shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
la is so sprawling the good and bad areas blend together in a lot of parts, and there is cheap housing to be found even in the good areas

• Locked thread