Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Are you dumb pinko commie nerds still white knighting this princess of the capitalist dreamworld? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Your posterchild: Not a victim of genuine oppression and poverty, but a pampered white girl who is insufficiently rich

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

tuyop posted:

Only if we actually give a gently caress about this actual person. We shouldn't beyond the basic concern we should share for all other people.

I think her particular purchasing habits are irrelevant to the conversation unless the conversation is about subjecting a dummy to shame for being dumb or maybe lying.

I mean, her basic point, peppered with non sequiturs and lovely writing, is that it's hard to live with dignity on the kind of wage an entry-level service worker can earn. Whether she's in that situation is kind of irrelevant. What some of us seem to be doing is the same old tired Olaudah Equiano debate about whether this instance of legitimate grievances are fictional, instead of about the grievances the work of (possible) fiction depicts.

I guess it does matter if you're considering giving her money. You shouldn't give her money unless you think the problem is that enough real people working for lovely wages don't have kickstarters to pay their rent. Then you're just wrong, but go hog wild if you believe her I guess.

Keep rallying around the heiress of the dream job tweeting dynasty dude, as long as you keep the conversation centered around this dumb spoiled bitch you're making sure normal people never actually look at your issues on their own merits :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

tuyop posted:

Do Americans not have freedom of movement? Like, the right to live and work wherever you want in the country?

Because otherwise you end up just ghettoizing the poor oh wait...

what glorious egalitarian society do you live in where there is no difference in cost of living anywhere in it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It depends on whether you're one of the 30% of Alaskans who have a TLC/Discovery reality show about them

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Moltke posted:

up until about 15 years ago you could afford to live in the middle of manhattan making low wages like these. failure of the government to adequately regulate rental units is one of the major driving forces behind nyc and san fran becoming unaffordable. i dont think its entitled to want to have a similar standard of living that our parents and forebears had.

I have clear memories of shopping for jobs in 2001 and I don't recall central NYC being very practical on minimum wage (it wasn't practical at $50k either).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

clearly the time is right for a memecrafter's union

e: it was right back then too, it's always been right

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Klyith posted:

who exactly was disputing it? from page one most people have been at the conclusion that you have only recently arrived at

but some people just get so hyped up on righteousness that they see any dissent from the crusade as bootstraps talk

THE HONOR OF A WHITE PRINCESS HAS BEEN SULLIED

TO ARMS TO ARMS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I CARRY THIS PRINTER IN YOUR NAME MILADY

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Decrepus posted:

The only times I've seen them are when you are doing sales/services and have clients that you could poach away.

I've seen them applied a lot more broadly, to people in plain old consulting roles, basically to discourage people from quitting to find better jobs in the same field.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

My basic rights and freedoms include sassing my ur-boss in an open letter

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think he was referring to, like, SEX

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

NObodiesGeek posted:

I tell people I run across, when they complain they want a better job for whatever reason, to apply where I work at. All you need to be able to do is read and write and do some very easy math. Virtually none of them ever apply. Why do you think that is?

you work in a poo-sculpting studio? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty telling that any thread that deals with low economic opportunity is automatically a "millennial thread".

yeah not like the thread is about an LA princess in her early twenties who like, hits every box on the bingo card

• Locked thread