Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

what i dont understand is that we put up signs around dangerous things. we tell kids about rip tides at the beach. we tell them not to run between parked cars. we acknowledge that society is better served by educating our young about danger but then we let them maul themselves on the internet without a single thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

not me, i'm a well-paid bay area software dev, and after going through many managers i've learned to respect the ones that take the time to correct me when i do something wrong, and hate the ones who approach it as a disciplinarian spectacle

If I were your boss I'd just give you rope to hang yourself with

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Enderzero posted:

I'm just glad we can use a naive youth to continue defending the system that is re-proletarianizing the vast majority of people in this country. It's great that we can use examples like sisters with PHDs who had to struggle way too hard to make it in life to defend this state of affairs instead of reading it as the indictment of our current system that it is. Had wages kept up with productivity since the 60s perhaps that outsized struggle wouldn't have been necessary, but never mind, let's use these examples to show how it's ok that people are drowning - it's definitely not analogous to insane arguments like "hey this black person became an unqualified success so anyone can do it! Everything's as it should be. Just work harder."

Go on. Make her the poster girl for your struggles.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Enderzero posted:

Yeah she deserves a lot of ribbing. But using this anecdote to prop up the way things work right now is not a good look, and people projecting this person's story onto the general entitled Millenial narrative is counter-productive unless you are a 1%er.

We're not. We're just making fun of a dummy. But then the lf prot squad rolls in and starts navel gazing about the injustices of it all.

Next well make a these about someone licking a hydro transformer and dying and you'll roll in and go on a scree about coal fired plants or some crap we already know about but don't care about in this particular instance

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

So has the internet driven this girl to suicide yet? CMon guys you're slipping. If you don't get then in the first 48 hours than your chances are severely reduced

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Is global warming going to sink the bay area? If so can we maybe step it up a little here. New York too

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

crabcakes66 posted:

She's completely inept so inflating or at worst replacing a tire and replacing a bulb are indeed huge challenges.

A dad who wouldn't be chomping at the bit to do those things is no dad at all. That's like what dad's are made for. They live for that poo poo. Nothing better than that satisfaction of micromanaging your kids auto maintenance.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Well the CEO said they are moving their customer service dept to Phoenix so I guess there is that if you wanna live in Arizona

Probably going to India now after this episode.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I worked a call center job in an expensive city (Los Angeles) but they had the decency to pay $16/hour and offer amazing benefits, plus I got promoted in 6 months and made even more money.

gently caress Yelp and their penny pincher ways, but goons have to hate on this girl because she dared to speak up and she didn't make all the perfect decisions.

Yes. Laughing at dumb people doing dumb things on the internet is kind of our thing ya dig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Big City Drinkin posted:

A job as a job automator sounds promising.

Thats what I do. My teacher in high school 20 years ago told me to get into automation stuff because he saw the winds. The worst is when I have the workers perform their task while I program away to mimic it. Making them train their replacement basically.

Or I'll study them for a few hours. Scribbling away on a piece of paper about how they twist something this way, or hit things just so to make it pop together. I'll make conversation. Ask them about their family. Make them like me so they'll tell me the little tricks they use to do their boring inane job.

Then a few weeks later I show up with a big crate and out pops their replacement

I'm just loving with you I wish it was that easy.

• Locked thread