Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aralan posted:

Oh no, a whole year in customer service before I get my shot at the witty Twitter department? How will I afford my rent

Who the gently caress rents their own apartment when starting out in a new city? $1200 is pretty normal for a studio in most places, but reasonable people find room shares or rent spare rooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

I left college, having majored in English literature, with a dream to work in media. It was either that or go to law school. Or become a teacher. But I didn’t want to become a cliche or drown in student loans, see. I also desperately needed to leave where I was living — I could get into the details of why, but to sum up: I wanted to die every single day of my life and it took me several years to realize it was because of the environment I was in.

I put a bunch of debt on a shiny new credit card to afford the move.

A whole year answering calls and talking to customers just for the hope that someday I’d be able to make memes and twitter jokes about food. If you follow me on twitter, which you don’t, you’d know that these are things I already do.

ecause 80 percent of my income goes to paying my rent. Isn’t that ironic? Your employee for your food delivery app that you spent $300 million to buy can’t afford to buy food. That’s gotta be a little ironic, right?

Let’s talk about those benefits, though. They’re great. I’ve got vision, dental, the normal health insurance stuff — and as far as I can tell, I don’t have to pay for any of it! Except the copays. $20 to see a doctor or get an eye exam or see a therapist or get medication. Twenty bucks each is pretty neat, if spending twenty dollars didn’t determine whether or not you could afford to get to work the next week.

But Marcus at CVS has six dollars in his wallet, and I’m picking up coins on the street trying to figure out how I’ll be able to pay him back.

And here are the "witty" suggestions she made to the CEO

quote:

Maybe instead, you can help set up something to allow Eat24/Yelp employees to get food from local food banks and soup kitchens?

The ideal percent is 30%. As I said, I spend 80%. What do you spend 80% of your income on? I hear your net worth is somewhere between $111 million and $222 million. That’s a whole lotta rice.

According to this website, you’ve got a pretty nice house in the east bay. Have you ever been stranded inside a CVS because you can’t afford to get to work? How much do you pay your gardeners to keep that lawn and lovely backyard looking so neat?

I pick up every penny I see, which I think explains why sharing these thoughts is worth my time, even if it’s not worth yours.

quote:

UPDATE: As of 5:43pm PST, I have been officially let go from the company. This was entirely unplanned (but I guess not completely unexpected?) but any help until I find new employment would be extremely appreciated. My PayPal is paypal.me/taliajane, my Venmo is @taliajane Square Cash is cash.me/$TaliaJane. Thank you so much for helping my story be heard.

In short a lovely person takes a lovely job, bemoans that the company won't simply accept her massive volume of tweets as a resume for the media job, passive-aggressively bitches about everything, then directly insults the CEO, e-stalks him, and implies he doesn't deserve his wealth.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shaquin posted:

I have really been trying to not get heated and slap fighty in GBS and I hosed that up here. I'm not saying she is deserving of sympathy for her string of ill thought maneuvers but rather that a 20-25 year old should be able to make mistakes and recover from them and the system they are participating in should have the flexibility to allow for that without undergoing a bleak and soul sucking gauntlet. I understand the economic realities of the situation in this country and how they should impact your planning and decisions, but am not apathetic enough to not speak out about how no one should be in this situation in the first place.

Her situation is poo poo and she needs to accept that her dream job of writing funny tweets for a tech company is not a realistic option at this stage of her life (or most people's lives, its pretty heavily luck/nepotism based). She doesn't elaborate into the reason she absolutely have to leave her previous environment other then wanting to die every day but even if that's the case it doesn't mean you burn it to the ground and move to the most expensive city in the country and then get fussy when you have to spend 1 year working customer service before moving up in the company.

The wage is 100% unsustainable for the region unless you live at home with parents and don't pay rent but these are all things most competent adults will take into account before moving across the country for work. The biggest thing to me is her proudly stating she got the job during the first interview. That's not a sign of how stellar of a candidate that she is, but more of how entry-level the job is and how the position is throwing bodies at a problem to brute force solutions not hiring talented minds. On top of that, any job advice site will absolutely tell you not to blow your savings/go into debt to move to a new region and start a new job. Her excitement over getting a new credit card then assuming a huge amount of debt to make the move reeks of immaturity, but tons of people go into huge debt for other stupid reasons so its not that bad. The entire article seems like a spite filled rant because the CEO didn't think her "ironic" suggestions on how to improve the lives of the wageslaves was to be taken seriously so she decides to publicly vent.

But, hey, she was so worried about becoming a cliche as a teacher that going to SF tech was her only reasonable option. That and begging for money on Paypal and Cashsquare.

max4me posted:

Am i wrong for thinking that she should not have been fired for this letter. That she have the freedom speak this and keep her job. Hell maybe the CEO could have responded and took her down a few pegs and told her to get back to work or leave.

There are probably of hundreds of other people like her taking those jobs and risking homelessness to be a part of the tech culture and chasing their dream of getting a sweet gig writing memes or being a social media expert for a soulless tech company.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

SF sounds like a really lovely place to live and work

It's the modern day gold rush. All these fresh college grads flock to it with dreams of turning their social media habits into 6 figure salaries, and the IT crowd does the same to work 3 different programming jobs as contract workers while also freelancing and not having healthcare. Yeah the techies make 60k+ easily but in that environment and culture there's no chance for settling down and raising a family. Even making close to half a million combined as a couple isn't enough to get a home loan and start raising 2.3 kids.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

No poo poo. If she was really interested in working for this company she should have marched up to her boss and explained why her time is worth more than $7.25/hr.

Fuckin' millennials.

As of Jan 1st 2016 minimum wage in CA is $10 an hour, and it goes up to $11 on Jan 1st 2017. It is also one of the few states where in the tipping/service industry they can't pay you less then minimum with the excuse of "they make tips".

All in all, probably the #1 best state by far to make minimum wage depending on where you live.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shaquin posted:

I guess if you are loving autistic it's pretty easy to quantify "living" as the act of not being dead and subsisting out of a ten pound bag of rice

I'd be more forgiving to her if she didn't constantly reference the rice every time the CEO's wealth came up as some sort of dig against him.

Also, she definitely qualified for CA CalFresh (food stamps), so not taking advantage of that is pretty dumb because that's about $300 a month for food at her income level.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

She probably could if she applied for tons of jobs in the field that she got her degree. Hell, having a degree in general should net her a job better than what she accepted. I know tons of people that never went to college and live comfortably. This was just someone that couldn't or didn't know how to budget and took a job that paid way too little for her costs of living. We can argue till we're blue in the face about paying living wages to full time employees (I 100% agree that it needs to happen), but that doesn't change the fact that right now that isn't how the country works and until it is everyone has to just make due with the world they live in.

Her options were teacher (ugh too cliche) or lawyer (tons of debt). And she absolutely had to get out of her current environment at the time because she felt like killing herself every day.

I'm starting to think the lovely job probably wasn't the biggest problem going on in her life.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So did she start scrubbing her social media profiles after people started checking and saw pictures of her enormous apartment full of expensive cooking gagdets and fancy chef knives, reams of photos of expensive/non-rice based meals she talked about eating, and photos of her getting premium bourbon delivered to her job and talking about drinking it?

Because every article that pops up about this is only mentioning her pay, $1200 apartment, and that she was fired in the tone of "is that really fair?" I think if you based an entire rant on not being able to afford food and having to borrow $6 from a CVS clerk but your instagram is replete with fancy food dishes and photos of you making artisnal cupcakes then its 100% relevant to the conversation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I roughly calculated it to like $12.5/hr based on her $8/hr after tax figure. Still more (even with inflation) than I made when I moved out on my own at 18 with my own apartment, car, insurance, etc.

There's no loving way she's making $8/hr after tax unless she can't do math or never read a single paycheck for her hourly rate. Being paid $12/hr at 40 hours a week is roughly $840 a paycheck after taxes, so none of this $645 bullshit she keeps saying unless she's only working 30 hours a week, in which case the better argument is that people working at minimum wage brackets need a full 40 a week from their primary employer to scrape by.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Poor people deserve cupcakes. Nobody here is anti-cupcake. People point out her food pics because she claimed that she had no money to buy food, and all she had to eat at home was rice.

That sounds really awful, but begs the question of how she's making cupcakes and having bourbon delivered. Which one is the lie?

The "bag of rice" thing was a recurring theme she used throughout her poorly written open letter, so it being complete bullshit means we have no idea what else is actually true.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://qz.com/622232/the-yelp-employee-who-was-fired-after-her-incendiary-open-letter-to-the-ceo-speaks-out/

quote:

The first time I realized just how much my hands were shaking and how hard it was for me to be able to eat food was yesterday, when I was able to eat a sandwich and my hands and body haven’t been shaking since then. If they’re thinking I wasn’t hungry based off my posts, that’s totally not correct.

quote:

Or the Pringles. I was on the train and some dude was trying to hit on two chicks, and it went extremely wrong. … It got really intense and the train ended at their stops, and [one of the women] threw a container of Pringles. … At first I thought they were going to roll around and make a mess everywhere. I was sitting there thinking, “Why don’t I eat these?” That’s how I got those Pringles.

quote:

You have to understand that a while ago [I decided] I only want to post stuff on Instagram that makes it seem like I’m thriving, even though I’m not, because I don’t want people to worry about me. I dropped a pants size and a half. The ones I’m wearing now used to be my skinny pants. My body’s completely messed up. My kidneys have issues, and it’s not because I was eating prosciutto everyday.

quote:

To those people who think that was the case, don’t you think I would’ve deleted all those pictures of food? If I was going to plot something out and have it become so big and if I had the skills to manipulate this, don’t you think I would’ve done some critical thinking prior to it blowing up?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Minimum wage people don't pay 30% in taxes despite what Fox News loves to claim. I know it's hard to believe but at that income level you only pay about 15% in taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

I don't know what would be more retarded, the dude thinking that 12hr weekly would be 840 dollars, or the dude thinking that 420 weekly is a living wage

Both display about the level of detachment from reality goons have

Considering you seem to be completely unaware that a "paycheck" refers to every 2 weeks of paid hours, also stated in the article, you're not really in a position to claim you know anything about income/salary/living wages.

• Locked thread