Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

max4me posted:

Am i wrong for thinking that she should not have been fired for this letter. That she have the freedom speak this and keep her job. Hell maybe the CEO could have responded and took her down a few pegs and told her to get back to work or leave.

Yeah, you are wrong. Freedom of speech doesn't give you freedom from consequences. It just means you won't get arrested for speaking your mind....unless it's treason or something I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I posted in the Schadenfreude thread that it sucks that she's learning that life doesn't give a gently caress about you and it isn't fair at 25, but better late than never. I think she'll be fine. Doses of reality are good for people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

pre:
  ,--._,-.
_/________\_
(--[ .]-[ .]  /
(_______o__)

Is that your avatar saying I'm right? Or are you saying that anyone should be able to say anything at any time to anyone and not have any repercussions of any sort in any way? Cause I'd like that too, but that isn't the way this world works.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The right to anonymous speech would be a cool forward-thinking thing for a society to guarantee though and I think the good stuff would outweigh the bad.

We have that now. She could have printed that letter and left it on all the desks in her company and posted it on all the bulletin boards and taped it to all the refrigerators and just not sign it. But that was not the point of her "open letter to her CEO" because she could have just emailed it to the entire office if that was her real intent. Her intent was to score internet points and hopefully get like $200k deposited in her paypal for doing essentially nothing. Honestly, I hope it works because I may just start making fake twitter accounts and posting awesome "I quit" letters to random companies to support myself.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My quick and dirty math (aka probably wrong) places her at around $12 an hour. So like $25k a year. Yeah, you can live on that in a super expensive area with no roommates. No problem. After all, you have a job and that's literally the only requirement to live wherever the hell you want and not have to make a proper budget for yourself.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nation posted:

Hehe I'm gonna move to one of the most affluent places in the world, pioneering global technology hoping to be able to feed and shelter myself but that turned out to be an outrageous concept

Maybe she should have gotten a better job that can support the life she wants to live? Or maybe tempered her expectations to what that job would allow her to live (not much, but really with like 2 or 3 roommates everything would be easier on her). Until some fairy godmother comes along and waves a magic wand to right all the wrongs with US employment people are gonna have to figure poo poo out on their own. Millions of people manage to do it. Maybe she could have asked for a raise. Maybe she could have applied for other open positions in her company. Maybe she could have searched for other employment. She knew how much she was gonna make when she accepted the job. The pay is lovely, but it's something both her and the company agreed on. Life is hard and isn't fair and if you're hoping for a world where it ever will be then you're gonna be disappointed for the remainder of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nation posted:

Maybe baby

Well put.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She probably could if she applied for tons of jobs in the field that she got her degree. Hell, having a degree in general should net her a job better than what she accepted. I know tons of people that never went to college and live comfortably. This was just someone that couldn't or didn't know how to budget and took a job that paid way too little for her costs of living. We can argue till we're blue in the face about paying living wages to full time employees (I 100% agree that it needs to happen), but that doesn't change the fact that right now that isn't how the country works and until it is everyone has to just make due with the world they live in.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

Her options were teacher (ugh too cliche) or lawyer (tons of debt). And she absolutely had to get out of her current environment at the time because she felt like killing herself every day.

I'm starting to think the lovely job probably wasn't the biggest problem going on in her life.

Yeah, nothing is more cliche than a mid-20 year old that is able to take care of themselves. When I was 25 I was working in retail, living in a punk squat house of sorts, mixed up with gangs, taking drugs like they were candy, and on more than one occasion had to stop people from killing themselves/others/me. I get that everyone handles things differently, and honestly my reaction was similar to hers (moving the gently caress away to calm myself down and hopefully break the cycle I was in), but the difference was that I had real life experience/street smarts/basic understanding of how taking care of yourself works so when I moved 2000 miles away I worked out how much I would need to earn to live in the apartment I was renting and pay for utilities, food, gas, insurance, etc. I kept applying everywhere and anywhere until I found a place that got me close. I worked there for 4 months while I was still applying looking for something better. I finally found it and I've been with them ever since. I'm nothing special and don't even have a college degree. I'm covered in tattoos, have arrest records, have scars on my face and knuckles from fights, and despite all the progress I've made still immediately see the worst in people. With all that baggage I got a job in finance with a major firm and now am a Limited Partner with them.

I don't know her situation, but it couldn't have been too too much worse than what I was going through and I turned out all right. She's got a degree, she's got decent enough interview skills to get hired, and now she has some real world knowledge that hard work doesn't mean anything if it's not going to support you. I really hope this helps her and she becomes a functioning adult, but passing the blame for it off on everything else and not assigning any of it to her is kind of silly (I know its not what you're saying, but others are). Having life kick you in the face is good because until it happens you walk around saying poo poo like:

Nation posted:

stop acting like the western world is some poor place that couldn't easily provide for all

without realizing how naive and infantile that makes you sound.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nation posted:

Why should we strive for a fairer society that provides a means to support oneself with a full time job. you infantile moron, you are so naive.

Ignores every single political economical fact from the history of society.

So when in any society did everyone take care of everyone else fairly and equally? When was there a "livable wage" for any and all jobs that took up the majority of people's time? Really, I'm genuinely curious and not meaning it in a dickish way or anything. The best I could guess would be immediately after the Magna Carta was signed in England, but even then there were poor and starving people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nation posted:

never. but that isn't an argument that the vast wealth of the west could not easily do so???

Well of course it could. What would make it though? Kindness? Doing what's right? There would have to be a reason besides goodwill for a super rich nation to decide to take care of all other nations. People don't work that way. Society doesn't work that way. Maybe in hundreds/thousands of years when we breed away our pack mentalities it will be somewhat feasible, but as of now? There's no way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

plain blue jacket posted:

Agreed, it's pointless caring or trying.

I wouldn't say that, but there's no loving way a livable wage for all full time jobs will ever be passed in any of our lifetimes. The current system isn't set up for that to be beneficial to it, and until it falls apart or is torn down nothing is going to change. I'll encourage anyone to try to get it changed, but its gonna take more than public outcry and a few senators to get something done. Maybe a total collapse of the middle class and large scale riots will eventually do it, but again, we're a pretty long way from that too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moltke posted:

you cant fix an economic system that is objectively broken because, as this thread shows, anytime you suggest theres a problem, millions of bellowing goons descend shrieking THIS IS THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE

Pretty sure that's not what's happening. You can point out it's a problem, but until it's fixed you have to play by the rules that are in place.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

So um how does it get fixed?

The same way everything else does. Changing legislation. Write your congress person.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

But the legislative process is dominated by corporate interests, and, considering the way things have been going the past fifteen years, no one seems to care.

It's very easy to become disenfranchised when you are working all the time to barely support yourself.

Exactly! So as I said, the current structure has to fail or be torn down or the collapse of the middle class and city wide riots. Having hundreds of thousands of people stuff envelops demanding a living wage and mailng it to legislators is the only way we have right now to enact the change we want. Protests, posting on a comedy website, or hoping for change isn't gonna do it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Liquid Penguins posted:

nah I work in a corporate office at a very profitable company because I have good work ethics and don't aspire to write memes on twitter and be paid $20 an hour like the lady in the op

$20/hr? How are you supposed to afford a penthouse over looking the bay and a fleet of sports cars on that?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pitdragon posted:

perhaps we can arrange fo them to be shipped off to some sort of camps

Well it can't be labor camps because they have no work ethic. Maybe meme farms?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jackyl posted:

lol way to dodge the credit card question

Credit cards actually pay your bills and then you pay them back with interest. They don't magic money from anywhere. It's a series of small loans taken from a financial institution.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Banks don't print/create money. Loans generate interest which is paid by the people taking the loans. The bank is making money off the interest it takes from people paying back their loans and gives interest to people that leave money with them so they can cover the loans they make.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tuyop posted:

We can go simpler.

Imagine a world with only $10 and a chipotle. Bob lends Jane ten bucks to buy some chipotle. Bob still has 10 bucks in the form of an asset. Jane buys the chipotle and now has the same amount of money she started with ($0) and a good worth ten bucks, the chipotle owner now has ten bucks. In this world there is now $20. By lending Jane money, Bob created more money.

If Bob and the chipotle owner wanted to, Bob could write down "10bux fr. Jane" on a piece of paper and, knowing that Jane is good for it somehow, the chipotle owner could also accept this note as money, now owning all the money in the world, even though this would cause problems later if he ever decided to cash in his note. Since he could just trade the note and cash to the chipotle supplier for more ingredients (because Jane is good for it), the financial system is fine though.

Ok, I get what you're saying now. I was just misunderstanding.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Honestly we really just need to bring back the serf caste. It would make everything so much easier/better.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shaquin posted:

Indeed, suffering is good and we should uphold it as meritorious and indicative of your value to society as a whole. All shall be forced through the mesh until only the deserved are able to comfortably provide for themselves, and staunchly defend this cycle.

The Buddha was correct and always will be correct. Life is suffering. There's no other way around it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shaquin posted:

That's a great misappropriation of the Buddha's words I'm sure that he indeed meant we should conform to the ideology of misery as the default state that is at the core of all this poo poo and perpetuate it by inaction or apathy against our fellow man

Wow, I knew I would get called out for that, but didn't think it would be that quickly. Yes, you're correct and its the worst interpretation of the Buddhist teachings. Not gonna even try to argue it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jackyl posted:

hm, yes, a brand new college graduate should make 100k for making tweets abouit food

this is sustainable because

It isn't. And never will be. There is no justice in the world. There is nothing that is "true" or "right" or "sacred." Everything is bendable and pliable and anyone posting here is just as likely to get ground into paste under the wheels of society as they are to live out their banal lives with absolutely no impact on anything around them but for the dozen or so people that will mourn them when they're gone for upwards of several days before they have to go back to their lives. Nothing matters. No one matters. You're alone, and the only beings that will truly miss you for as long as they exist is your gut fauna. Welcome to the real world. You're worthless.

follow me on Twitter!
#gutfauna, #diealonefor3ver

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I'll be the Helicobacter Pylori in your reincarnated stomach :getin:

Quite poking holes in my stomach fauna afterlife please.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only thing gut flora and fauna would attempt to do if they escaped your intestinal tract would be to plant a tasteful flag on you and then fight some infinitesimal % of other gut organisms saying that it never happened.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Vindicated as target, wal-mart, and Amazon move in on that app's space, and the guy goes broke because it was just another tech start up that couldn't be flashy enough for its customer base, and then she will be able to make a living off her writing and proclaim herself as one of the people on the forefront of fair wages.

This already happened and it never came true.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

yeah she feels entitled to be able to afford to live in the area that she works what a loving piece of poo poo lol - did you even read the thing she can't afford basic groceries where are you getting this idiot 'oh she wants more frivolous spending money' crap from?

the amount of goon bandwagon 'lol yea gently caress millenials haha' in this thread is amazing. this company has millions and it pays its college degree employees less than I'd expect to get as a literal dishwasher.

Then maybe she should work as a dishwasher in her off time to supplement her income? It's a trash job that anybody could fill. She's unimportant and doing an unimportant job and the pay corresponds to that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

She wants to live alone in an area with crazy high rent. According to people in this thread who live there, it is common for young people there to live with room mates. If she had cut her rent in half by having a roommate, then she would have had enough money for food and transit. Yeah, the pay is low of the area, but the reason she was living on rice and sadness was at least partly due to her choice of rental.

She also really wasn't living on a 10lb bag of rice she bought a year ago.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Volume posted:

I'll post my feet as soon as I get home

Boooom. Try to beat that feat of feet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I still think this girl should move to Detroit and live with Centripedal Horse. She can make him gourmet cupcakes while he gets drunk off her bourbon delivered to work.

Crummy bourbon too. Even at my poorest I still buy Weller or EH Taylor because I'm not a filthy bourbon hobo. I could get her a job with my firm and she could work from home and stay in SF for all they care. Not sure how much they start at, but I don't think working is really her goal here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha! This is a literal intern job.

edit:
Jesus christ, that description. Bacon feet, changing the world one cheeseburger at a time... Seriously, anyone over the age of 23 should not be applying for this kind of job, especially if they have any degree. This is for interns or high school kids.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 22, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

to be fair this is what you older assholes have been telling us since we were born

so really it's on you dumb gently caress Gen X druggie losers.

Gen X didn't lie to you. Put the blame on the baby boomers that have hosed all of us up. We Gen X'ers are in the unique position that we are not only gonna have to support the boomers through their 50 years of retirement, but also you millennials through your unemployment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fakiebeanplant posted:

lol what nursery rhyme or bedtime story stipulated this

The same one that said if you owned your own home you could sell it and retire on the proceeds. Just lots and lots of hold over poo poo from the great depression that happened to work that one because of a giant world loving war that pumped billions into the US economy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe she should apply for some publishing or journalism jobs. You know, positions that will look at an English Lit degree and say, "That sort of applies to this career".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

I CARRY THIS PRINTER IN YOUR NAME MILADY

AVERT THINE EYES FROM THE BED FOR THERE COULD BE UNMENTIONABLES THERE!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whatev posted:

FYI I confused her position with the account executive position at Yelp, which are the entry level Yelp folk who harass local biz. It looks like she was a customer service rep at the Eat24 division of Yelpb and actually was being paid min wage in SF, which is a bit over 12 per hour. My bad! I assumed it was the former because that one does require a college degree. So disregard that figure I gave with the 35k and such

I roughly calculated it to like $12.5/hr based on her $8/hr after tax figure. Still more (even with inflation) than I made when I moved out on my own at 18 with my own apartment, car, insurance, etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Princess RALPH!! posted:

One thing about this girl popped into my mind. We've all had co-workers who back talked to supervisors, disregarded direct orders etc. but none of these people that I've met would even consider saying anything like this to their CEO. I can only imagine the amount of BS her supervisors or managers had to put up with on a daily basis. People don't typically start their insubordination at that high a level. Additionally isn't writing a public message like this, or any 'I quit' video just firebombing any future career? If your new potential employer google searches your name, and they see that if you are dissatisfied with your job that you may drag their company publicly through the mud; who in their right mind would hire you?

Probably not for click-bait type positions. I could see her getting offered a job writing cupcake articles or something out of this based solely on people wanting to leave comments about her being an idiot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

radiatinglines posted:

12 x 40 = 480 you retard

Does that mean she does pay 30%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Enderzero posted:

But I thought the porn industry spits in your bottom?

But I poop from there.

• Locked thread