Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bobbie Wickham posted:

It's going to depend on what sector of the work force you're talking about. I work for the county, and we don't really need that many accountants or chemical engineers: we need people to deal with clients. We need people with backgrounds in Finance more than STEM fields, and we need people with customer service experience and some sort of college education, more than we need people with Accounting degrees. My department's stretched to its limit, and I don't even want to think about how overworked the people in Medicare are going to be as the baby boomers continue aging and living forever.

Are they impressed because you double-majored, or are they specifically in need of someone with a degree in Physics? Because that's where I lose the plot: what do you do with a BS in Physics? Or Biology? I know there's a need for people with degrees in Science, but I've always seen ads looking for people in specific fields, like Food Science. The only people I know with Science degrees all pursued graduate degrees of some sort, either to supplement their BS with a Master's in a related field, or to earn a Ph.D.

I have a BS in physics and somehow managed to Shanghai a decent career out of it. It's not easy and I'm definitely in the minority. Just about everybody I graduated with either went straight to grad school or slummed around doing programming gigs until they went to grad school. Most of those MS and PhDs are now just back writing code so I'm not sure if it did them any good.

edit: That said (RE: code) what with the new hip thing being big data analysis some of those physics types have been making big stacks doing that.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread