Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Big City Drinkin posted:

The media keeps referring to her as a "tech employee." Her job was to talk on the phone to people who were pissed that a pizza place hosed up their order. Are the janitors at Google in STEM careers now?

Being an Uber driver is considered a tech job nowadays.

---

It is one of the methods that tech companies use to attract young naive people and exploit them for their labour. Dressing up a dead end, minimum wage job as an attractive career prospect is part of the problem. It is hard to say that she should have known better since it is a 'reasonable' sounding grift (get a tech job in a booming tech city) to any out-of-towner, and it works well enough to be self-perpetuating. If she reads tech media, she would constantly see stories lionising young people (living in cramped dorms) working for equity (in failing) start ups and doing (sub-minimum wage) work in the sharing economy during their spare time.

A dumb/naive, spoilt twenty-something expecting more than they are worth isn't a poster child for exploitation. Yet businesses are only too happy to take advantage of them for their own ends. That the CEO explains that they are moving jobs to Arizona because they are not viable in SF, but is happy to gently caress them over in the meantime is proof enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Are they impressed because you double-majored, or are they specifically in need of someone with a degree in Physics? Because that's where I lose the plot: what do you do with a BS in Physics? Or Biology? I know there's a need for people with degrees in Science, but I've always seen ads looking for people in specific fields, like Food Science. The only people I know with Science degrees all pursued graduate degrees of some sort, either to supplement their BS with a Master's in a related field, or to earn a Ph.D.

There isn't really a need for B.sc graduates where I live (Australia), and they have job prospects on par with Arts graduates. The whole STEM degree = $, only applies to a subset, and only when there is actually demand for them.

• Locked thread