Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Clochette posted:

What is the purpose of these contracts? What do the companies have to gain?

Companies get away with most of the reprehensible poo poo they do with respect to employees, not because they have the legal power to do so, but because it's pretty loving easy to convince employees that they do. Non-competition agreements are largely just another way companies have of subjugating their employees.

I work in Canada, which has some pretty good employee protection laws, and I was seriously handed an employee agreement that said (among other stupid poo poo) "I acknowledge that I am working 'at-will' and that employment can be terminated by either party with 5 days notice." That's simply not legal here. All of my coworkers signed because they felt they had to to keep their jobs. I didn't. Two years later, most of them have been laid off, but I'm still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ronwayne posted:

Sadly in other places its a condition of employment to be hired in the first place. See also: peeing in a cup and signing away your right to sue/join a class action suit for "arbitration".

It usually is here, too. But these guys played things pretty fast and loose at the beginning and didn't start cracking down on stupid HR policies until an IPO looked like it might be a thing.

For further humor, they also tried to get me to sign an NDA/non-competition agreement three and a half years after I started, including a clause stating that I couldn't do contract work for other companies for any reason without their permission. I came back to them saying that I wouldn't sign any such agreement without due consideration and an actual employment agreement that was worth a drat. They said, "uhh, we'll get back to you on that." That was a year and a half ago, and I haven't heard a peep since.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All this arguing about post-secondary education with respect to jobs is pretty funny to me, given that 90%+ of jobs are going to be fully automated before the end of this decade. Yeah, make sure you pick a course in a field you won't be working in because a computer/robot will be able to do it faster/better/cheaper before you even graduate.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everybody should just focus on drama classes and psychology courses in high school and apply all that to a high commission sales position. There will always be a need for salesmen. Sales is one of those industries where personality and look matter though, so it's real easy to crash and burn if you're not comfortable around strangers or don't like pressure.

You think? It seems to me brick-and-mortar stores are dying a horrible death as they become replaced by online sales. And with the support bots they have already, it would not surprise me if they have sales bots perfected in pretty short order.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, I said high commission sales. Brick and mortar stores are in the poo poo house, but there will always be real estate, financial services, insurance, large machine, software sales positions because those are the things that people will always need and are waaaaay less likely to just go online and buy whatever.

No, there won't always be. As AI becomes more sophisticated, those positions will be automated. It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when".

Will we still berate people for their higher education choices when there are literally no more jobs, or will we start thinking of higher education as being valuable in and of itself, like we used to?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

sorry, wanna try that again in complete thoughts?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Enderzero posted:

are you saying the guy who thinks 90% of jobs will be gone in 4 years might not have a grasp on the nature of employment? Huge if true

it's almost like the workforce participation rate isn't the lowest it's been in 35 years and companies aren't scrambling to automate literally everything as quickly as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

Look, everyone sells. You sell, your mom sells, and a 7 year old kids sells.

You are selling when you convince your GF to go watch Deadpool with you. You are selling when you try to get out of a speeding ticket. That 7/11 clerk is selling when he tells you about 2 cokes for $2. Your nephew is selling when he tells you about his day at school.

We all sell. If you can talk to other people, you can sell.

we should all become salespeople, then nobody will be poor and we can all live in paradise!

sounds like Amway

• Locked thread