Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

did she consider looking for another job and/or finding a cheaper place to live? I did a google search for apartments 40 miles from san francisco and found some that were right around $1000 a month which is a lot but still less than the $1245 she says she's paying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fried Watermelon posted:

So she makes $733.24 bi-weekly and $1245 a month is for rent.

Thats 221.48 left.

She pays $11.30 a day for transit, assuming she works 5 days a week thats $226 a month for transit.

So shes already at -$4.52 before even counting FOOD and any other sort of bill.

How the gently caress do you even consider that a smart move

I get the feeling she moved to San Francisco with big starry dreams and handwaved away the massive debt she was piling on by thinking that she'll make it big in the writing/tech industry and this is all just the sacrifices she has to make to get there. In reality, she moved to an expensive city to get a minimum wage job that can't cover her expenses and just makes her add more debt. It's ridiculous that the minimum wage is so low there that you seriously can't live on it. She's in a lovely situation that she could have and should have avoided.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd have more sympathy for her if her dream job wasn't writing loving tweets.

that's her dream job? way to set the bar high lady, why the hell would she move to san francisco to sit around tweeting all day.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

NESguerilla posted:

I think this person comes off as a huge baby with no sense of personal responsibility, but I have always wondered, what the hell do people who work minimum wage jobs actually do in these comically overpiced cities? I realize they don't live in town, but why commute for an hour to work at McDonalds in SF when they probably have a McDonalds 5 minutes away from where they live?

starve to death with massive amounts of debt

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Talia seems pretty cool and zany tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Hahahaha read her twitters for a laugh
She's comparing herself to Snowden

https://twitter.com/itsa_talia

CEO of Yelp says that he wasn't involved and agrees that San Francisco's cost of living is too drat high and claims he's working to help lower it. He also says that entry level jobs move to low cost of living places which is why they're moving it to Arizona.

https://twitter.com/jeremys

Definitely filtered through a PR agent but sounds like he acknowledges it but obviously won't do anything about the lovely wages other than tell them to move to Arizona where he's moving some jobs.

If the pay were enough to live on then that would be a pretty sweet job. It sounds like everything else (benefits wise at least) is pretty great.

• Locked thread