Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Why would someone want to move to SF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wish a high yield nuclear warhead would move to the bay area

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How gullible would someone have to be to buy into the who SF=utopia mindset?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

Stay in places like these?

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

crabcakes66 posted:

Maybe this whole thing is some genius marketing plan becuase I had never heard of this company before today.

Well the bay area has pile of food delivery startups since the whole tech model is based around making people work 10+ hour days.

Lots of the startups offer free meals as fringe benefit to keep the techies inside their gilded cages

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

www posted:

i just looked and its not even cold in SF and shes moaning about using her heater, average of 13c in winter?? thats like the average summer in scotland, give me a break put a loving jumper on idiot.

Yeah the Bay Area doesn't have real winters.

You only get roughly a week of weather below freezing each year

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

They get some roommates. I have known a lot of people straight out of college who worked poo poo entry level jobs and still managed to live comfortably in expensive cities with proper budgeting. You can easily find a room in SF, in a safe neighborhood for under $800/mo. Heck even closer to $500/mo if you either really lucky or you are willing to share in an in-law or a less good neighborhood. This is because some people have rent controlled places that they have been in for years, with roommates coming and going. But the rent never goes up to market rate.

However, if you have to have your own 1 bedroom apartment in the city (because obviously you are entitled to it at 25 years old), then you have to pay market rate on a new lease and be ready to shell out $3k/mo.

Over the last few years rental prices have spiked up so much in SF even the less desireable neighborhoods are now fairly expensive vs the US rental average.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

not me, i'm a well-paid bay area software dev, and after going through many managers i've learned to respect the ones that take the time to correct me when i do something wrong, and hate the ones who approach it as a disciplinarian spectacle

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dirty Sanchez posted:

I've been watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon. The premise of the show is The Axis won WW2 and occupy America. I think we're supposed to be shocked by how bleak Japanese San Francisco is, but I find myself wishing it actually happened that way so we wouldn't have to hear about poo poo like this.

Well in the show you have people worshipping glorious japanese culture instead of Apple products.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Relin posted:

has this been posted? looks like there may have been other reasons she was fired

https://archive.is/AR4XX/image

http://imgur.com/5WJFUAF

It's pretty much a poster child for how not to use social media.

Some companies do use social media as way to screen out applicants or spy on current employees

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big City Drinkin posted:

I don't know how seriously I can take you if you really believe the Tenderloin is "hella ghetto."

I had a good laugh parking there last week to meet some friends in the financial district for lunch.

Has piles of new condos and apartments all over creation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

just watch where you step

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FrankieGoes posted:

After the next superquake the Bay Area will devolve into a lawless hellhole of looting and rioting, but since Californians aren't allowed to own any decent guns, the nearby residents of Nevada are planning on swooping in and getting all the good stuff/women/etc. The Reno Gazette actually publishes helpful strategies regarding this on the reg. Should be p cool.

what women???

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What would need to happen to drive rental prices down?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moltke posted:

LA is super affordable and is one of the few major cities you could get by only working part-time in a coffee shop.

lol, I guess it's super affordable since it still has large sketchy neighborhoods

http://la.curbed.com/2015/11/10/9901804/los-angeles-rents-2015

quote:

The cost of living, and especially renting, in Los Angeles continues to skyrocket and will continue to for the foreseeable future. A new third quarter rental market report by Marcus & Millichap confirms that rents are climbing all over town: asking rents citywide were up 7.8 percent to an average of $1,873 per month. For the year, the report predicts rents will climb 4.8 percent overall, "more than doubling the rate of inflation." It seems no one is immune to these rapid rent increases. Even renters seeking the traditionally cheaper cost of living in the San Fernando Valley are out of luck. The past 12 months saw a 7.4 percent increase in asking rent price up in the Valley. Van Nuys/Northeast Valley prices were up 15.1 percent! No offense, but when Van Nuys rent increases are outpacing every other neighborhood in town, LA's rental market might officially be out of control.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Man Whore posted:

china sinking into the ocean with all hands on deck would really help the west coast.

For starts no more clouds of smog from their lovely coal power plants

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ProperCoochie posted:

Holy gently caress. How does one get paid writing like that?

How can I get paid? Dayum.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

Look, everyone sells. You sell, your mom sells, and a 7 year old kids sells.

She sold something to me last night for $20 at the local Motel 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

phoenix is a boil on the rear end of america

• Locked thread