Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

I played the gently caress out of this game it's good as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, if we're going to start posting custom cover replacements, then this one from the GF of oneida at NeoGAF never fails to amuse me when I see it:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

please dont start posting custom covers no one cares

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

raditts posted:

You ordered that 3+ years ago?
No, last week. His next of kin or someone must be running the site.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Has this one already been posted? Too late, it's here!

Edit:
Wow I didn't even think of how bad this one is. "Hey kids, now YOU can be an incompetent wall-climbing idiot too!"

So an accurate representation of Newspaper Spider-Man.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Spider-Man just like, "Welp my bad fallin' to my death now lol"

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010

aaaaaaaaa :cry:

Considering all the terrible cash grab movie games of the 90's I suppose this one at least tangentially makes sense. But still :gonk:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Browsing the gallery of SMS box art examples (again) just to see how bad it gets and even though it's a collection of notoriously low-hanging fruit, some examples are just so bad that they warrant posting just because they need to be seen to be believed.

I really can't think of anything to say about this one. Just look at it!

A game about microwave ovens. Just what every kid wants.

Edit:
Holy poo poo that Lawnmower Man one. There was an issue of TOTAL! I had as a kid where that face was featured over a two-page ad and it scared the loving bejeesus out of me.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 12, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I looked up Zillion because of that box expecting it to be a text heavy RPG or something hard to make look exciting, but no it's a platform adventure thing like a mix of Impossible Mission and Metroid based on a late 80's anime series :psyduck:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Another visitor.

Stay awhile.

Stay foreveeeerrrr!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm probably missing the point here since I know absolutely nothing about baseball, but I don't think some old baseball man that kids would have no idea about is the way to sell your 16-bit baseball game either. This is like putting some 70's footballer on the cover of whatever the gently caress version of FIFA we're at now.

This just looks bad, regardless of the actual game's quality (which is a whole different level of bad).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Kids knew who Tommy Lasorda was.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I bet you could put George Best on a Fifa box. They put Bruce Lee in that last UFC game, and I think Pele was on a recent Fifa.

Edit: he wasn't I have no idea who I was thinking of.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 13, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm probably missing the point here since I know absolutely nothing about baseball, but I don't think some old baseball man that kids would have no idea about is the way to sell your 16-bit baseball game either. This is like putting some 70's footballer on the cover of whatever the gently caress version of FIFA we're at now.

Or even better, putting some 70's footballer on the cover of whatever version of NFL we're at now. What kind of loving idiot would do that, right?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Samurai Sanders posted:

From what appears to be the artist's home page but according to the time line, he passed away in 2013. I was half wondering if the site was nonfunctional and my order disappeared, but just tonight I had a knock on my door.

That's really cool, and I want one. Do they ship to North America? The site doesn't seem to have an overseas option.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kid Fenris posted:

That's really cool, and I want one. Do they ship to North America? The site doesn't seem to have an overseas option.
Not that I can tell, especially since the only payment options were sending cash, bank transfer, or COD. I guess using tenso.com or someone could possibly work.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Sakurazuka posted:

I looked up Zillion because of that box expecting it to be a text heavy RPG or something hard to make look exciting, but no it's a platform adventure thing like a mix of Impossible Mission and Metroid based on a late 80's anime series :psyduck:

Yeah Retronauts did a mini-episode on it, sounds fun.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

the weirdest thing about this game is that it never used major league teams, ever

it was so bizarre

but yes i played it, it was pretty fun actually

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

rotoscoped posted:

aaaaaaaaa :cry:

Considering all the terrible cash grab movie games of the 90's I suppose this one at least tangentially makes sense. But still :gonk:
To be fair, IIRC this is what the CGI actually looked like in the film, too. It was intended to be off-putting, since the character here has kind of gone full-psycopath by the point depicted.

Does beg the question of why you'd advertise the game with it front-and-center. Maybe it's a horror game! (It probably isn't a horror game.)

What, you don't like Bill Clinton Baseball? It's just a counterpart to Willem Dafoe Basketball:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shadow Hog posted:

To be fair, IIRC this is what the CGI actually looked like in the film, too. It was intended to be off-putting, since the character here has kind of gone full-psycopath by the point depicted.

Does beg the question of why you'd advertise the game with it front-and-center. Maybe it's a horror game! (It probably isn't a horror game.)

It was a mix of platform game (surprise, all licenses were then) and I think the earliest 3D stuff on the SNES? It was still a bad game though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

game was the most miserable poo poo too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLig8Kb4DAw

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 13, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

lets hang out posted:

game was the most miserable poo poo too

I can't decide if this one is more disturbing than the SNES cover....

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Wamdoodle posted:

I can't decide if this one is more disturbing than the SNES cover....

Both are loving terrible and there is no way that cover brought in sales.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Christ that game looks trippy as hell.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Lawnmower man, smash hit?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it smashed into the ground and hit it so hard it left a crater

i guess that counts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gutcruncher posted:

Lawnmower man, smash hit?

I seem to remember there being a lot of buzz about the movie at the time, it was based on a Stephen King story when that wasn't lol worthy, had a lot of that newfangled CGI stuff and 'VR' and 'cyber' was 'in'. But then it was awful and crashed and burned.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sakurazuka posted:

I seem to remember there being a lot of buzz about the movie at the time, it was based on a Stephen King story when that wasn't lol worthy, had a lot of that newfangled CGI stuff and 'VR' and 'cyber' was 'in'. But then it was awful and crashed and burned.

The great thing is that literally the only thing the movie has in common with the story is that at one point there's a lawnmower than moves on its own; the short story was about a guy who calls a lawnmowing service and has a faun show up and start nibbling at his grass, it has nothing to do with computers or VR.

King actually successfully sued them to remove his name from the movie. Twice, as they put his name back on it for the home release.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have no clue what you actually do in that game control-wise from watching this video.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I definitely rented the SNES Lawnmower Man back in the day. That hideous box art somehow drew me in. Or maybe just my mom. I think she loved the movie. We both thought the game was so amazing! Incredible graphics! How did they do that! We loved it! We never bought it, though. Watching footage of it now is one of those "I wish I'd just stuck with my memory of it" kind of things.

It's on the Genesis, too, and while the box art is gross, it still manages to be better than the others.

I thought they would've had to forego the VR segments, but they managed. The fact that they don't look that much worse on the Genesis is really saying something.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Sleeveless posted:

The great thing is that literally the only thing the movie has in common with the story is that at one point there's a lawnmower than moves on its own; the short story was about a guy who calls a lawnmowing service and has a faun show up and start nibbling at his grass, it has nothing to do with computers or VR.

King actually successfully sued them to remove his name from the movie. Twice, as they put his name back on it for the home release.

Wikipedia says 3 times, and the last time he was awarded $10,000 a day until they complied.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Coolguye posted:

it smashed into the ground and hit it so hard it left a crater

i guess that counts

According to wikipedia, it made triple its budget and was a "moderate success." Then they kept trying to mine it for sequels, at one point going so far as to hire Grant Morrison to make take it "in an X-Men superhero-type direction."

And apparently the studio that made the CGI would go on to be Rockstar San Diego.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

Wikipedia says 3 times, and the last time he was awarded $10,000 a day until they complied.

$10,000 per day and all profits made until they complied.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
No it isn't

No it still isn't

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I need that limited edition pen. I'm off to eBay!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not that I can tell, especially since the only payment options were sending cash, bank transfer, or COD. I guess using tenso.com or someone could possibly work.

Yep, looks like I'll have to try Tenso or ask a favor of people I know in Japan. I could get a Mana poster off eBay or hang up the fold-out one from the game, but I like the idea of supporting the artist...or at least his estate.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have no clue what you actually do in that game control-wise from watching this video.

The game starts at around 8 minutes in, it's like a runner phone game 20 years early. You just do what the game tells you. Jump when it says jump, slide when it says slide, in the second part turn when it says turn. The timing was really strict and one mistake sent you to that game over cutscene and made you start the whole game over. I only ever made it to the tunnels part a handful of times. I was so angry at how terrible it was.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Lotish posted:

According to wikipedia, it made triple its budget and was a "moderate success." Then they kept trying to mine it for sequels, at one point going so far as to hire Grant Morrison to make take it "in an X-Men superhero-type direction."

And apparently the studio that made the CGI would go on to be Rockstar San Diego.

I had a copy of CineFX that talked about the SFX. A Grant Morrison sequel would be cool, would tie into the cool ending of the movie and some of his trippier ideas. I like it for what it was, especially the morphing CGI.

More screens here: http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-lawnmower-man-genesis-megadrive.html?m=1

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

bonus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Donovan's seen better days.

And Galsia's performing some crazy dance move with that knife.

• Locked thread