Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Movie ruled, and to be fair I was going to love it even if it sucked because I can't truly hate a movie with a talking goat so I'm glad the rest of the film was rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This movie was as great as the first few pages of this thread were painful to read. I loved it, and am ready to take anyone who complains about "THE CRITICS" or says people who like this movie just want to seem smart and throw them off a bridge.

I also think at least a handful of the moments people say they laughed at were intentional. I really liked that there was just enough levity to prevent it from becoming completely dour and pretentious but not so much that it took away from the tone and atmosphere.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kin posted:

You see the people i've come across not liking it for the same reasons i did. It's not that they were expecting paranormal activity, they were expecting something tense, something that gave the subtle overburdening sensation of dread that the trailer hinted at, something persistently unnerving like a Kubrick film.

Instead we got a few brilliant scenes setting the tone and then a somewhat tedious family drama plucked right out of the Crucible.

The way you point out people not liking the film for its lack of in your face horror (to paraphrase) is wrong. It's the lack of even the most subtle of horror that made it tedious. Bar a few scenes (that the trailer pretty much covered) it was entertaining, but barely unnerving at all.

There's a quote from a review that's been put into the trailer that said "it felt like i watched something i shouldn't have seen" and after the baby scene it felt like that was exactly what we were going to get, but the film never again reached that level.

Finally got around to seeing this movie, this is a good post. It was gorgeously shot, and there was some great acting, but the film just never added up to anything. Like, I was neither desiring nor expecting a traditional horror film, but I was hoping it would be at least a little scary, rather than a fairly po-faced analysis of the self-destructive misogyny latent in the Puritan family unit. Antichrist, I think, does a much better job with the same basic "feminist witch movie" conceit. I can't shake the feeling that Eggers was far too enamored of his own sedate, grounded style. The postscript especially left a sour taste in my mouth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the kind of criticism I don't really get. Aren't you basically saying "he shouldn't have made a historically accurate movie because I didn't like it"?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The scariest part of the movie is that people actually treated each other like that, but witches aren't real.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Escobarbarian posted:

This is the kind of criticism I don't really get. Aren't you basically saying "he shouldn't have made a historically accurate movie because I didn't like it"?

Not at all. I love the early modern period and it was refreshing to see a non patronizing account of the puritans and their beliefs. But that doesn't make up for the movie being, imo, pretty much inert.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

Not at all. I love the early modern period and it was refreshing to see a non patronizing account of the puritans and their beliefs. But that doesn't make up for the movie being, imo, pretty much inert.

Okay this is an honest, non-judgement question: do you find either or both of the following to be true?: You consider a story's unpredictability to be a positive, or you consider a story's predictability to be a negative.

I ask because people enjoy stories in different ways, and understanding the context of your opinions will help me appreciate your point of view.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

This movie was as great as the first few pages of this thread were painful to read. I loved it, and am ready to take anyone who complains about "THE CRITICS" or says people who like this movie just want to seem smart and throw them off a bridge.

I also think at least a handful of the moments people say they laughed at were intentional. I really liked that there was just enough levity to prevent it from becoming completely dour and pretentious but not so much that it took away from the tone and atmosphere.

The only part I laughed at was when Caleb darted after the dog that was chasing the rabbit familiar. As soon as he got lost I knew he was hosed, but when he tried to start whistling, I started laughing, but it was more of a nervous "oh now I know this kid is hosed" because as much as he tried to emulate his father, he was just a little rear end kid. The futility of Caleb trying to whistle filled me with such nervously excited dread, I was pretty much dead silent through the rest of the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The movie got two big laughs at my screening; the little girl running away all "look out, Caleb, she'll witch you!" and the later shot of the twins tied up in the yard.

I find both parts legitimately funny, for the record.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The movie got two big laughs at my screening; the little girl running away all "look out, Caleb, she'll witch you!" and the later shot of the twins tied up in the yard.

The little kids tied up and the shot of Black Phillip just sitting there like :smug: both got laughs when I saw it and both shoots are cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm sure someone's already made the comparison between Black Philip and Captain Howdy in the Exorcist, right? I love the whole "ultimate evil first insinuating itself as a child's game" thing, particularly here where like the only child's game is "let's mess with that one weird goat."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

What does "inert" mean?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Not sure if it's been discussed already, but I just want to say that the Black Phillip song sung by Mercy and Jonas is great and that until now, I didn't know the exact words. From the director:

Black Phillip, Black Phillip
A crown grows out his head,
To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post,
Running in the stall.
King of all

King of sky and land,
King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants,
We are ye men.
Black Phillip eats the lions
From the lions' den

Mercy and Jonas :black101:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Senf posted:

Not sure if it's been discussed already, but I just want to say that the Black Phillip song sung by Mercy and Jonas is great and that until now, I didn't know the exact words. From the director:

To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post,
Running in the stall.
King of all

King of sky and land,
King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants,
We are ye men.
From the lions' den

Gonna go record the doom metal version of this, brb

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ruddiger posted:

The only part I laughed at was when Caleb darted after the dog that was chasing the rabbit familiar. As soon as he got lost I knew he was hosed, but when he tried to start whistling, I started laughing, but it was more of a nervous "oh now I know this kid is hosed" because as much as he tried to emulate his father, he was just a little rear end kid. The futility of Caleb trying to whistle filled me with such nervously excited dread, I was pretty much dead silent through the rest of the movie.

When that happened these two women behind me went "Awww" in unison.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

alnilam posted:

Gonna go record the doom metal version of this, brb

It's a shame Christopher Lee isn't here to do a cover of it any more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't quite remember every shot I laughed at but one of them was definitely when it cut to black in the middle of Thomasin falling off a horse

Henker
May 5, 2009

Senf posted:

To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post,
Running in the stall.
King of all

King of sky and land,
King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants,
We are ye men.
From the lions' den

Man, Mercy and Jonas are creepy as poo poo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The second one was the big laugh for me. Especially since they're still trying to run forward despite being tethered to the fence with bedsheets. It reminded me of that SNL sketch where Mike Myers plays the hyper kid at the playground.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
So I've been looking forward to this but it never came to my hometown meaning that I'm going to preorder it on Amazon - but there's two versions: this and this. Anyone know which one to pick or if it makes a difference?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I love horror but have really painfully high standards with them. The last one i liked was babadook but even that got really sloppy to me in the finale. This movie, though? Front to back unnerving and unforgettable. Just see it. I saw it two weeks ago and there are multiple scenes I can't get out of my head.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 3, 2016

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

echronorian posted:

I love horror but have really painfully high standards with them. The last one i liked was babadook but even that got really sloppy to me in the finale. This movie, though? Front to back unnerving and unforgettable. Just see it. I saw it two weeks ago and there are multiple scenes I can't get out of my head.

This is EXACTLY what I've been telling people (Hey guy two posts above, don't read this post or this thread just find a way to see the film)

For me the big ones are:

The witch's knife hovering over the baby and then cut to black

The slow zoom on the witch's back when she's sucking on the goat

The light and bliss and freedom on Tomasin's face when she begins to ascend

There's a hundred others, but those three keep on flashing in my head throughout the day.The middle one is especially unnerving at night. I'm immune to the "scares" in horror films, even the good ones. Sometimes I'll jump in the theater, but the fear doesn't follow me home. This movie though, in which I didn't jump once or even feel all that nervous during, is haunting me in the way that no movie has since I saw The Ring as a pre-teen.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

This is EXACTLY what I've been telling people (Hey guy two posts above, don't read this post or this thread just find a way to see the film)

For me the big ones are:

The witch's knife hovering over the baby and then cut to black

The slow zoom on the witch's back when she's sucking on the goat

The light and bliss and freedom on Tomasin's face when she begins to ascend

There's a hundred others, but those three keep on flashing in my head throughout the day.The middle one is especially unnerving at night. I'm immune to the "scares" in horror films, even the good ones. Sometimes I'll jump in the theater, but the fear doesn't follow me home. This movie though, in which I didn't jump once or even feel all that nervous during, is haunting me in the way that no movie has since I saw The Ring as a pre-teen.

Hmm, now pick one of the 'hundreds' that didn't directly involve the witch.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Kin posted:

Father dropping his axe and getting gored by Black Phillip, the twins prancing about the yard singing, the mother having her breast plucked out by the crow, the family raising their hands in worship framed against the woods, Caleb walking up to the door of the witch's shack

But yeah, the three I listed are the ones that stuck with me the most, and it's probably unsurprising that two of them feature the main "physical" antagonist of the film.

I take your point, but "The Witch" only showing up briefly a few times is not an argument against the movie. How many times is the shark shown on-screen in Jaws, versus the amount of time given to showing the psychological effect he has on vulnerable characters that know it's somewhere out there?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I get goosebumps every time I think of the crow pecking the mothers nipple as she is weeping, because it's almost less horrific than the trick being played that her children are back

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 3, 2016

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

echronorian posted:

I get goosebumps every time I think of the crow pecking the mothers nipple as she is weeping, because it's almost less horrific than the trick being played that her children are back

I thought she was laughing?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I saw this movie again after taking a little bit of a lot of xanax and it flowed much more smoothly this time. The first part of the movie up until

wow holy poo poo I don't remember finishing the movie. Anyways it's a good movie second run through. It is absolutely a movie that I would not place under genre descriptions. I don't consider it a "horror" movie in the genre conception of "horror". I feel as though this movie is really made for America. The way "A new england folktale" popped up on the screen really made me feel that way. Probably because I was thinking about it when it happened.

Hansel and Gretel could be a horror story cause it's about cannibalism and the kid murders the witch at the end. But it's a folktale, not a horror story. This movie is, in my opinion, the same way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Folktales can be horror. Basically all monsters are originally from folklore. In my opinion of it evokes the feeling of horror/terror/whatever then it's horror.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

When Thomasin realizes that her father is comforting her not because he believes her, but because he is saying goodbye.

Henker
May 5, 2009

So did a goon make this? Going to chop some wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OXikot7Ow

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

When Thomasin realizes that her father is comforting her not because he believes her, but because he is saying goodbye.

This, and Caleb's rapture scene.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Folktales can be horror. Basically all monsters are originally from folklore. In my opinion of it evokes the feeling of horror/terror/whatever then it's horror.

Yeah I agree, and I think what you're doing is breaking the "genre" constriction idea.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
I'm sure this has been said in this thread ad nauseum, but I love how the ending is basically a challenge to view all the horrors you've just witnessed as ultimately liberating.

Also dig the 2nd to last shot having the same close-up composition as the opening sentencing (or whatever) shot, only it goes one past it to end with the tree ascension shot. So good.

Kind of funny how she left one patriarchal society to join a coven of witches led (?) by a male goat devil.

marblize fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 9, 2016

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Went to see this again and took a lady friend along with me this time. We when left the theater she immediately turned to me and said, "I want to sign a contract with Satan and go into the forest."

Saaaame

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Went to see this again and took a lady friend along with me this time. We when left the theater she immediately turned to me and said, "I want to sign a contract with Satan and go into the forest."

Saaaame

Thats a keeper right there

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Blurray doesn't come out for another month, but goddamn does the cover look cool

Senf posted:

To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post,
Running in the stall.
King of all

King of sky and land,
King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants,
We are ye men.
From the lions' den

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just saw this and was very impressed. I haven't been that unsettled by a film since Antichrist, and I find the two films sharing tonal similarities just a bit. There's some really haunting images here. It succeeds where some of the other recent critical darlings of horror cinema fell short for me. Can't wait to see what the director does next.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I saw this in theaters a while ago. I really liked the movie. The pacing reminded me of 1973 The Wicker Man, which is my all time favorite horror movie.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just watched this again for the first time since theaters. Definitely just as good the second time around, and I really enjoyed noticing more cool details of it. I also paid close attention to the lighting, since I only learned about the director's "natural lighting as much as possible" approach after my last viewing. It really shows. Especially in the house in the scenes with Caleb lying unconscious and then freaking out and dying., the way the natural light comes in through the window works really well.

Definitely paid more attention to the deadly sins that correspond to the different characters. I had previously totally missed the apple that Caleb vomits up, the same apple he had lied about, so thanks to people itt who pointed out that detail, that's super cool and spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gorgeous film with good acting and some tension, but ultimately it was a little disappointing.

My main criticism is that it relies way too much on "weird sound getting louder LOUDER LOUDER!!!!!!! now suddenly it's quiet". After like the fifth time it was almost comical.

Black Philip was the best actor in the movie.

Still a soft recommend, but not as a horror movie per se. And period accurate or not, I really dislike horror films that devolve into "family members screaming and wailing at each other" a lot, which this definitely does.

• Locked thread