Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senf
Nov 12, 2006

precision posted:

Gorgeous film with good acting and some tension, but ultimately it was a little disappointing.

My main criticism is that it relies way too much on "weird sound getting louder LOUDER LOUDER!!!!!!! now suddenly it's quiet". After like the fifth time it was almost comical.

Black Philip was the best actor in the movie.

Still a soft recommend, but not as a horror movie per se. And period accurate or not, I really dislike horror films that devolve into "family members screaming and wailing at each other" a lot, which this definitely does.

Black Phillip was great but practically everyone had a really solid performance. Definitely just sounds like this kind of movie isn't really your style, which is obviously totally cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well I mean, I loved Bone Tomahawk though. I just thought the material here was spread a bit too thin, just when something interesting began to be explored the movie would back off. It felt like a 90 minute long trailer, if that makes sense.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I greatly enjoyed watching this movie. that is all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Well I mean, I loved Bone Tomahawk though. I just thought the material here was spread a bit too thin, just when something interesting began to be explored the movie would back off. It felt like a 90 minute long trailer, if that makes sense.

Bone Tomahawk is a totally different style of movie though. Well, kinda. If I got to edit out all the parts of Bone Tomahawk that I didn't like, the movies would be a lot more similar. Tomahawk uses a lot of really annoying and extraneous expository dialogue to recap events that we see and that we see the characters see on the screen. The Witch is the opposite of that, where the stuff happens, and then we sit and feel it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I can dig it. I definitely don't regret watching The VVitch and visually it's on par with (and similar to) Dead Man so it definitely has that going for it. At times it felt like I was watching a literal nightmare, nightmare dream logic and all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just saw this last night, reminder to those who haven't yet that its now for rent on VOD.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't an instant classic for me like it was for some people. Visually its very solid, but even in that department I was expecting a little more than what I got. There were some fantastic shots, but they were spread somewhat thinly throughout the movie.

I feel like the pacing could have been better. Things start out very dark and disturbing, then there seemed to be a lull there that went on for a good while, and then things ramp up really fast at the end. For a comparison, I liked the pacing of Lords of Salem better, even though you could say that less "happens" in that movie. Lords of Salem has a more gradual, yet steady descent into madness that felt more oppressive and kept the dread building for the entire runtime.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got this on BD and watched it again the other night. I love this film.

I agree with the thoughts that Caleb is probably the only character that was redeemed. In addition to his revelation of Christ at death, he is the only one who is actually concerned about Samuel's redemption. He tries to stop Thomasin from lying to Mercy that she is the witch. He actively tries to prevent the family from marrying Thomasin off. And he covers for his father taking him into the woods with the apple tree lie. Obviously the apple he throws up before dying is representative of the fruit of tree of the knowledge of good and evil--the apple comes up whole, he didn't "eat" it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

smallmouth posted:

Obviously the apple he throws up before dying is representative of the fruit of tree of the knowledge of good and evil--the apple comes up whole, he didn't "eat" it.

Ooh I hadn't thought of that angle, I just thought it was his lie coming back up his throat.

Also he has lust :mrgw: but he tries to suppress it and be good. e: well, until, you know

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 19, 2016

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I love this film, I've rewatched it twice just for the tiny details.

My husband did some reading up on it after the first viewing, and apparently Black Philip was a huge dick throughout filming lmao. They only used one goat to play him. All of his scenes took forever to get right and he kept attacking random people on set the whole time. That clip of him rearing up towards the end was the most difficult shot to get because he was being unruly over it.

Black Philip owns.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

A Spider Covets posted:

I love this film, I've rewatched it twice just for the tiny details.

My husband did some reading up on it after the first viewing, and apparently Black Philip was a huge dick throughout filming lmao. They only used one goat to play him. All of his scenes took forever to get right and he kept attacking random people on set the whole time. That clip of him rearing up towards the end was the most difficult shot to get because he was being unruly over it.

Black Philip owns.

black philip is literally an incarnation of Satan irl

and that rules

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

black philip is literally an incarnation of Satan irl

and that rules

for real

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/black-phillip-real-story-behind-871974

quote:

"If we wanted him to be doing something violent, he wanted to go to sleep. If he was supposed to be standing still, he was running around like a madman," Eggers recalls. He credits Ford, the film's editor, with piecing together whatever usable footage they had into the acclaimed performance.

No one in the cast had a rougher time with Charlie than Ralph Ineson. A veteran British actor with a bassy voice and large, aristocratic features, Ineson, 46, had to drop 30 pounds to play the family patriarch, a starving farmer. That left him at a distinct disadvantage when he was called upon to wrestle Black Phillip, as dictated by several scenes in the script.

"I didn't have a lot of gas in the tank, really," Ineson says of sparring with the beast, who weighed about 50 pounds more than him. "He was horrible. Really, really horrible. From the moment we set eyes on each other it was just kind of hate at first sight. He had two modes: chilling out and doing nothing, or attacking me."

Wouldst thou like to win an Oscar?

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 19, 2016

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Haven't got anything new to add really, just wanted to say I thought this movie was super impressive and I loved it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol That's loving great. I like to think Black Phillip knew exactly what he was doing throughout that shoot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Black Phillip best supporting character 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Never work with children or (demonic) animals.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Tried watching this movie with my mother and she hated it, going to try watching it with friends later. It's a shame, she love horror films.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Thomasin: Black Phillip, I conjure thee to speak to me. Speak as thou dost speak to Jonas and Mercy. Dost thou understand my English tongue? Answer me.

Black Phillip: *falls asleep*

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just saw this, and I loved it. Some of the quieter dialogue was a little hard to catch, but that might have been because I was watching it on a tv with sorta crappy sound. Some really solid performances all around - Caleb's last scene was impressive as hell for a kid that age.

And man, those last 10 or so minutes are so, so good.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just saw this, and I loved it. Some of the quieter dialogue was a little hard to catch, but that might have been because I was watching it on a tv with sorta crappy sound. Some really solid performances all around - Caleb's last scene was impressive as hell for a kid that age.

And man, those last 10 or so minutes are so, so good.

I WILL GUIDE THY HAND

THWOOOMMMM

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I WILL GUIDE THY HAND

THWOOOMMMM

I keep reading this and looking at your avatar and laughing.

That last scene was killer. The movie does a really good job of somehow keeping the supernatural elements just grounded enough that even though the final shots aren't, theoretically, any crazier than some of the stuff that has come before, it feels completely otherworldly and detached from the reality of the film in a way that the other bits didn't. Very neat.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
As a guy who grew up on a farm with goats anyone who willingly works with Black Phillip and any of his billy goat ilk deserve anything they get. Billys are assholes.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
What a fantastic setting for a horror movie. It's getting kind of hard to stage dangerous situations in today's world with smartphones and whatnot, but if you're in 17th century New England and someone curses your poo poo, it's a matter of life and death.

When the goat actually started talking it was like goddamn.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
This is now one of my all-time favorite films. Absolutely loving phenomenal, and the fact that it's a debut feature is incredibly exciting. I really hope Eggers doesn't go on to make bullshit hollywood fare after this, but even if he doesn't ever do anything great again, the fact that he had the talent to execute something like this is pretty special.

That ending... holy poo poo.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I really hope Eggers doesn't go on to make bullshit hollywood fare after this

I doubt it. His next project is a Nosferatu remake, and he's said that he can't see himself ever making a film set in present day.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

His next project is a Nosferatu remake

Apparently it isn't, he's working on a Medieval project called The Knight and/or a documentary on Rasputin first.

http://collider.com/nosferatu-remake-update-robert-eggers/

http://deadline.com/2016/02/rasputin-the-witch-robert-eggers-to-write-direct-mad-monk-miniseries-for-mrc-1201707249/

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
God drat this movie owns. I grew up in an old colonial house in the middle of the woods and stuff like that scares the poo poo out of me. I also don't personally blame anyone who went into that expecting Paranormal Activity 5: Puritan boogaloo and was pissed off. That was exactly what I want out of a movie. I can't let it go, a couple days later.

I will point out that in a reddit AMA, Eggers was asked about ergot poisoning and was like 'Who's to say it wasn't?" So, take that for what you will.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's October, the spookiest of months, and therefore a good time to watch The Vvitch if you haven't yet, IMO.

I personally plan on doing a double feature with the other spookiest witch movie, Hocus Pocus.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That would actually make for a pretty fun evening.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
I'm doing a double feature with Se7en and then perhaps some Darin Morgan or Simpsons Treehouse episodes to lighten the mood.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

We watched The Vvitch yesterday for a Halloween double feature (I picked one movie, my girlfriend picked the other. She picked Candyman, which she loves for some reason) and I think I could best describe my feelings towards this movie as intrigued.

While we were watching I was fully engrossed. Amazing acting, the photography was gorgeous and the movie has a really cool and unique nightmarish tone to it, which makes me giddy at the thought of the director / writer doing a Nosferatu remake next.

I gotta admit as we were actually watching the movie, I felt like it kinda fumbled the ending, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. To me the creepiest visual of the whole thing was Black Phillip rearing up after goring the father and standing/moving about on his hind legs so long it looked like he had started walking around on two legs, which I guess is kinda what they were going for.

Definitely recommend it, nailed the 17th century folk tale idea really well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that shot you mentioned is incredible and an awesome surprise. So naturally they put it front and centre in the trailer.

I am so glad I didn't watch the trailer

story: when I first saw this in the cinema the screen was insanely dark and I didn't realise until I watched it for a second time at home and realise you can actually see a full detailed human figure behind her at the end not just some vague shadows

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just watched this alone at night with all the lights off, and this might be the best horror movie I've ever seen. Excellent at building tension early and sustaining it throughout, the most unsettling scenes for me were the witch hunching over that mortar and pestle thing that still had bits of Samuel's gore on it and the mother's breast being pecked at by the raven. But really it's hard to single any one moment out. The entire thing from start to finish makes you feel like some awful intruder for even witnessing any of it. After the movie was over I took my dog into my wooded backyard to pee and gently caress if I wasn't spooked out and wishing my girlfriend was home.

Some thoughts:

- I forget, but does Caleb ever mention Christ or God by name during his ecstatic death throes? I remember him saying Lord, but that obviously could refer to Satan instead.

- The music in this movie is so drat unnerving. The shot of the family at the beginning of their exile, framed against the wilderness, really ratchets up the dread early on because of the music.

- The ending is really interesting because it's easy to see how signing the Devil's book and joining the coven is not only the most practical choice for Thomasin to survive, but that she's also seen her family's piety bring them to ruin. Not to mention almost everyone in her family uses their religion as an excuse to scapegoat her. But there also seems to be some degree of coercion since Thomasin is left unharmed. I guess my TV is pretty dark because all I saw of Black Phillip during the scene where Thomasin signs the book was a black cloaked hand clutching her shoulder, which freaked me out along with his voice.

This is definitely one of those horror experiences that will stick with me for a while. The only things I can compare it to are The Shining, Silent Hill 2, and Algernon Blackwood's "The Wendigo" and "The Willows." It definitely had me at a fever pitch of dread while watching it, but its imagery and themes are going to grope around in my mind for a long time. Just excellent.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 7, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Very, very strong The Willows vibe, I agree there.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Watched this movie. Acting, photography, and general aesthetic were amazing. Well paced imo, and built and held tension well.

Thematically it seemed really confusing to me. It sort of felt like it was about religion, then it sort of felt like it was about coming of age, then it sort of felt like it was about how female sexuality is bad(?), then everything got really real.

Only fair reading imo: in a truly spooky twist the movie pushes LaVeyan Satanism. The father, mother, and son all show signs of the 9 Satanic sins and are therefore punished. The father is punished for his pious pretentiousness with isolation. The mother is punished for her solipsistic projection with images of rotten fertility. The boy, having accepted Satan (indulging in the sin of pleasure) is redeemed. His rapture is his embrace of The Adversary; the apple-vomit is his rejection of the 'knowledge' of christianity. The father and mother, blind to the last, are killed. We do not hear of what happens to the twins, as LaVeyan Satanism preaches that no harm can come to children (so that they can sing their creepy songs presumably). Thomasin, seeing the self-deceit inherent in religion, chooses Satanism and to 'live deliciously,' a reference to Satanisms focus on epicureanism. In the final sequence she feels the fear of someone leaving all that they know and the ecstasy of someone who as a rich life ahead of them.

:twisted:

I don't like how militant atheist that reading feels but I think it's a bit more interesting than lol ergot poisoning or surprise: turns out the devil is real!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Waverhouse posted:

Watched this movie. Acting, photography, and general aesthetic were amazing. Well paced imo, and built and held tension well.

Thematically it seemed really confusing to me. It sort of felt like it was about religion, then it sort of felt like it was about coming of age, then it sort of felt like it was about how female sexuality is bad(?), then everything got really real.

Only fair reading imo: in a truly spooky twist the movie pushes LaVeyan Satanism. The father, mother, and son all show signs of the 9 Satanic sins and are therefore punished. The father is punished for his pious pretentiousness with isolation. The mother is punished for her solipsistic projection with images of rotten fertility. The boy, having accepted Satan (indulging in the sin of pleasure) is redeemed. His rapture is his embrace of The Adversary; the apple-vomit is his rejection of the 'knowledge' of christianity. The father and mother, blind to the last, are killed. We do not hear of what happens to the twins, as LaVeyan Satanism preaches that no harm can come to children (so that they can sing their creepy songs presumably). Thomasin, seeing the self-deceit inherent in religion, chooses Satanism and to 'live deliciously,' a reference to Satanisms focus on epicureanism. In the final sequence she feels the fear of someone leaving all that they know and the ecstasy of someone who as a rich life ahead of them.

:twisted:

I don't like how militant atheist that reading feels but I think it's a bit more interesting than lol ergot poisoning or surprise: turns out the devil is real!

That's a cool reading imo, but yeah if you went off explaining it to someone you'd be in danger of sounding like an obnoxious Internet Atheist. But I'll assume the best of you and say hey that's actually a cool interpretation.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I think the interpretation of Caleb is problematic. The apple is originally referenced in his lie to his mother. Then it's implied the witch has fed him the apple. It also obviously references the fruit/curse in Genesis. It's important that Caleb throws it up undigested--signifying his purification from original sin (recall his conversation with his father re: Samuel). Also OT Caleb is of the tribe of Judah, the favored kingdom.

Caleb's rapture is also in contrast to his mother's description of her rapture. Caleb's is genuine, while his mother's is not.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Consider the children's inability to recite a prayer under dark influence in the same moment, and ask yourself if Caleb's scene holds under the thinking that it's anything other than his redemption

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The Satanism reading is really interesting. Excuse my ignorance, but how would that appear militant atheist? Why would an atheist acknowledge Satan?

It still blows my mind how fanciful the whole world seems in this movie. The only other media/text I've read about this era is stuff about the Salem witch trials. It's crazy to think that a large portion of England, and the English colonies acted like this. People of criticise other religions for being so wacky/extreme but the white/anglo religion was just as bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Most Satanist don't worship a being called Satan, but rather use him as a symbol of their opposition to the restrictive morality common in Judeo-Christian belief systems. So many Satanists are atheists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

The Satanism reading is really interesting. Excuse my ignorance, but how would that appear militant atheist? Why would an atheist acknowledge Satan?

It still blows my mind how fanciful the whole world seems in this movie. The only other media/text I've read about this era is stuff about the Salem witch trials. It's crazy to think that a large portion of England, and the English colonies acted like this. People of criticise other religions for being so wacky/extreme but the white/anglo religion was just as bad.

White people now alive in the United States believe that devils interfere in their daily lives by making them late for work or causing them to forget where they put their keys, and that prayer allows them to fight off this diabolical influence by soliciting God's direct intervention.

• Locked thread