Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

alnilam posted:

I'm still really intrigued by the "using mostly natural light" aspect. I've done a little filming of my own but I'm not very knowledgeable. But I find it hard to imagine not using at least some extra fill light, even when filming in daylight. Do you think they did? Or maybe they used reflectors to use the sun as fill light?

I'm sure plenty of reflectors and bounce cards were used, but most of the film was shot under cloudy skies anyways, which provides for very soft, photogenic lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
A huge family including about seven kids took up the entire row in front of me. Kids were running back and forth crying and talking the entire time, shaking all the seats, and pushing their plastic booster seats around the ground.

Dude directly in front of me raised his hands up and yelled "score!" when the witch came out as a beautiful woman for the boy.

Leaving the theater I overheard a dude say that was the worst movie he's ever seen in his entire life.

Kinda bummed to hear my crowd wasn't the odd one out, sounds like a lot of people are leaving this movie completely hating it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised people hated it so much, I thought it was really entertaining and thoughtful.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why in the world were there so many kids at you guys' showings?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's something I wonder about in general when I hear these stories. I've only ever seen kids at kid appropriate movies.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Thankfully my group left somewhere around the dads ninth scene chopping logs so they weren't around for the ending.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ibexaz posted:

A huge family including about seven kids took up the entire row in front of me. Kids were running back and forth crying and talking the entire time, shaking all the seats, and pushing their plastic booster seats around the ground.

Dude directly in front of me raised his hands up and yelled "score!" when the witch came out as a beautiful woman for the boy.

Leaving the theater I overheard a dude say that was the worst movie he's ever seen in his entire life.

Kinda bummed to hear my crowd wasn't the odd one out, sounds like a lot of people are leaving this movie completely hating it.

People don't like atmospheric slow burn horror as much as they like slashers and jump scares.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised people hated it so much, I thought it was really entertaining and thoughtful.

I mean it's a quiet little slow-burn R-rated indie horror movie. I'm less surprised people are hating it and more surprised it got a wide release to begin with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Loved this by the way. It was the exact right length.

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

I just got out of it, and the more I think about it the more and more favorably I am looking at it. When I was sitting there at first I was a bit disappointed because it started so slow though.

My highlight was the guy and his girlfriend sitting next to me at the who loudly complained "What a waste of 2 hours this was."

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Movie was great. Kind of felt of a piece with Bone Tomahawk; tense, slow-burn period piece Americana horror with excellent screenwriting.

Also lol at the people saying the "olde timey" language was hard to understand, it was about as olde timey as an average episode of Game of Thrones.

Maybe it was my theater but for me, it wasn't an issue of language, the dialogue was just seriously very low compared to the music and ambient sound in several scenes. I loved the movie and don't think that hurt it, but yeah, I struggled to hear a few lines.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Movie was great. Kind of felt of a piece with Bone Tomahawk; tense, slow-burn period piece Americana horror with excellent screenwriting.

Also lol at the people saying the "olde timey" language was hard to understand, it was about as olde timey as an average episode of Game of Thrones.

Umm, not really? If you've seen a performance of The Crucible before, that could work, but Game of Thrones is really kinda modern in comparison. That's why I found the acting great, because I generally understood everything that happened, and while the adults obviously did well, I think the kids really deserve props for having to work with such period dialogue and make it feel natural.

But yeah, good movie, saw it on Friday in the multiplex (I wasn't by myself, but i might as well have been, only six other people). Really atmospheric, a palpable sense of dread that just grows until it's almost a relief when it's over. It's also interesting that even though the film avoids being about what Puritan literature is usually about in modern times, the plot and general themes still revolve around how much being a puritan sucks, especially for women. Sexual repression comes up a lot as you might imagine, and the eldest daughter, Thomasin, is very clearly dealing with tamping down a lot of frustration over the responsibilities she has, the isolation from other girls her age, and her future prospects. So I find I can't really blame her, after seeing her "godly" family tear themselves apart and blame her for it, for just saying "gently caress it, I'mma go my own way now" and joining a coven.

"Dost thou want the tast of butter? Dost thou want a pretty dress? Dost thou want to live deliciously?
No wonder the Satanist gave this one a thumbs up.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

resurgam40 posted:

Umm, not really? If you've seen a performance of The Crucible before, that could work, but Game of Thrones is really kinda modern in comparison. That's why I found the acting great, because I generally understood everything that happened, and while the adults obviously did well, I think the kids really deserve props for having to work with such period dialogue and make it feel natural.

But yeah, good movie, saw it on Friday in the multiplex (I wasn't by myself, but i might as well have been, only six other people). Really atmospheric, a palpable sense of dread that just grows until it's almost a relief when it's over. It's also interesting that even though the film avoids being about what Puritan literature is usually about in modern times, the plot and general themes still revolve around how much being a puritan sucks, especially for women. Sexual repression comes up a lot as you might imagine, and the eldest daughter, Thomasin, is very clearly dealing with tamping down a lot of frustration over the responsibilities she has, the isolation from other girls her age, and her future prospects. So I find I can't really blame her, after seeing her "godly" family tear themselves apart and blame her for it, for just saying "gently caress it, I'mma go my own way now" and joining a coven.

"Dost thou want the tast of butter? Dost thou want a pretty dress? Dost thou want to live deliciously?
No wonder the Satanist gave this one a thumbs up.

If it's living deliciously with Lucifer or being alone in the wilderness with no food and no family miles from civilization, yeah, the choice is not particularly difficult. The ending is great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DreamtShadow posted:

My highlight was the guy and his girlfriend sitting next to me at the who loudly complained "What a waste of 2 hours this was."

This was basically the whole theater I was in. People were laughing a lot throughout too.

The crowd was a bunch of doofuses but I can't say I disagree with them. I thought it was terrible. I'm usually not at odds with most posters here and even the friends I went with sort of liked it, but I'm having trouble thinking of one redeemable quality in the The VVVitch. It was shot well I guess. Maybe I'll give it another shot when it hits on demand. ALl the laughing might have skewed my opinion.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 21, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Personally, I'm struggling to think of anything about it that was less than perfect

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The Vvitch (2016): My hexing theater experience

Segue
May 23, 2007

I saw this at the Toronto International Film Festival and the audience was completely quiet throughout, which I think really helped build the oppressive and isolating atmosphere. I think most everyone liked it, but I was in a bit of a shell-shock state after going through it, so I wasn't really paying much attention.

It's one of my favourite horror movies because it doesn't rely on twists or jumps or gore. It takes a simple premise and builds all its horror through moviemaking. The plot is simple and straightforward, there's nothing all that surprising. It knows it wants to tell a folktale and does just that with beautiful shots, an unsubtle but effective score, and incredibly effective world-building.

If you buy into the world that Eggers builds, watching it all fall apart is horrifying in an existential way, and I think that theme of existential dread (of piety, purpose, transitioning to adulthood) is so pervasive that it's really affecting. But all this requires you to buy in to this sort of quaint world, and if you don't buy in, I guess it can seem a little silly.

I was really surprised it got a wide release because it's essentially art house horror, which I can see being a turn-off for the average person who expects less atmosphere and more jump-out scares. It's disappointing to see the audience reaction (I think it's at 55% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes compared to an 89% critic rating) because I've been telling everyone I know who likes horror movies to go see it.

But I think if you love horror movies, this is a special film.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Yeah I saw it last night and I think I saw at least a dozen people walk out, and one person just laughed at the end. Definitely seems to be a love it or hate it film...although I guess I can't really say that cause my own feelings towards it are somewhat ambivalent. It was well made and I understand what it was going for, but I can't really say I loved it. I was a bit disappointed there weren't more scenes like the first time you see the witch after she takes the baby, but I get that it'd probably turn out a lot more hokey had there been more.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I think I saw it with the worst audience I've ever been in a theatre with. I knew the packed theater was a bad sign. Lots of chuckling; people seemed baffled that a movie called The Witch actually had, you know, a witch. The guy in front of me loudly said after it ended, "Wow that was the worst movie I've seen. Where's the refund line?" which pissed me off, like gently caress that bullshit attitude, thinking you deserve a refund for not liking a movie, go gently caress yourself.

I think it's the way it's pitched. Like, horror is synonymous now with slasher flicks and jump scares etc, and most either aren't serious or are excessively gory. This is not that kind of movie - this movie is about family in a farm yelling at each other in mostly unintelligible old English. This is the kind of movie your high school history teacher would've loving loved. While I don't think it was the worst movie ever, it is clearly Not My Thing, and it pisses me off that I wasn't able to discern that from the rotten tomatoes reviews.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Like, horror is synonymous now with slasher flicks and jump scares etc, and most either aren't serious or are excessively gory.

This is an important part of it. You can't spit without hitting someone bitching horror and jump scares, and The Witch is the kind of movie feels out to prove that it's not the correct way to do horror right now. The audiences reactions I've experienced/read/etc reflect that this has backfired. Sure, Sundance goes nuts for it, but Sundance folks would go nuts for an edit of Transformers that's in monochrome, scored only by french horns, and subtitled to talk about The Horrors of War or something.

In setting up a movie that seeks to disabuse audiences of the horror=jumpscare mentality, The Witch winds up creating the platonic example to show why a tension-release experience style of horror works best for current audiences. They get uncomfortable, they jump and scream, they maybe chuckle, and they leave the theater thinking they had a good horror experience. This isn't happening with The Witch.

I just wish I could understand why I keep mentally referring to the movie as The Wizard.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 22, 2016

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I just wish I could understand why I keep mentally referring to the movie as The Wizard.

I can't stop referring to it as The Witcher :downs:

Saw this on Friday and loved the poo poo out of it. Audience was dead silent for the most part, there a few nervous laughs a couple of times the camera cut to Black Phillip just chilling.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

In setting up a movie that seeks to disabuse audiences of the horror=jumpscare mentality, The Witch winds up creating the platonic example to show why a tension-release experience style of horror works best for current audiences. They get uncomfortable, they jump and scream, they maybe chuckle, and they leave the theater thinking they had a good horror experience. This isn't happening with The Witch.
This is bad?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

It does serve to shut up the "Horror is all about jump scares now, :qq:" and "Everyone was scared at my showing except me, :wtc:" crowd.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

It does serve to shut up the "Horror is all about jump scares now, :qq:" and "Everyone was scared at my showing except me, :wtc:" crowd.

So are you saying it should have tailored itself to audience expectations, or have subverted them? Or that it didn't subvert them well?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly didn't like it because I didn't find it entertaining. Nothing about it compelled me to want to think about it afterwards either so I was left pretty unsatisfied.

I get why people liked it I suppose. It just wasn't for me I guess. Even though on paper it's something I should love.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

MisterBibs posted:

Sure, Sundance goes nuts for it, but Sundance folks would go nuts for an edit of Transformers that's in monochrome, scored only by french horns, and subtitled to talk about The Horrors of War or something.

lmao ok

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

So are you saying it should have tailored itself to audience expectations, or have subverted them? Or that it didn't subvert them well?

You can subvert expectations if you have something to subvert them to. Witch replaces an expected version of horror with nothing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You can subvert expectations if you have something to subvert them to. Witch replaces an expected version of horror with nothing.

There's by far more incident in The VVitch than Rosemary's Baby, and everyone agrees that movie's a horror classic

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I talked to a guy I know who manages a theater this morning, and after randomly bitching about the movie, he told me that, at a guess, a third of people who went into The Witch asked for a refund.
I didn't ask for a refund after Sabotage, and that was a loving terrible movie.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

NESguerilla posted:

I honestly didn't like it because I didn't find it entertaining. Nothing about it compelled me to want to think about it afterwards either so I was left pretty unsatisfied.

I get why people liked it I suppose. It just wasn't for me I guess. Even though on paper it's something I should love.

This is pretty much exactly how my wife and I felt about it. I really find the attitude of people who love it annoying though. Also, the scene where the witch turned from feeding on the goat to cackle at the twins was just awful.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

No Egrets posted:

This is pretty much exactly how my wife and I felt about it. I really find the attitude of people who love it annoying though. Also, the scene where the witch turned from feeding on the goat to cackle at the twins was just awful.

Why do you find people who love it annoying?

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

Drewsky posted:

Why do you find people who love it annoying?

There just seems to be an air of "if you don't love this, you don't understand REAL horror movies" about it. It seems super snooty is all.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Nothing? Seriously?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

No Egrets posted:

There just seems to be an air of "if you don't love this, you don't understand REAL horror movies" about it.

Not really.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Nothing? Seriously?

Ya I've seen these "it was about nothing and nothing happened" reviews and I just think that's pretty ridiculous. Family was banished from a town because their views were too radical, even for that time. They go out to try and find a spot to live on their own, baby gets stolen almost right away, bad times occur for said family throughout the film, they don't stick together but instead turn on each other which makes them MORE vulnerable, whole family dies, daughter lives so the witches could turn her and make her a witch as well. I think a lot happened.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Nothing? Seriously?

For me (and seemingly a bunch of people), absolutely. It's one thing to try and take another direction, fine, but the entire runtime for me wasnt waiting for the slow burn to blow up, but waiting for the slow burn to ignite in the first place.

Devoid of the building tension (every luddite freakout has the same goofy intensity), the film is equally sapped of an emotionally gripping climax. Things going wrong aren't textured with any added horror when it's Colonial Life 101 already. It's just nothingness; nothing to engage me or even make me feel. Yes, that's a dead bird in an egg.

I'm giggling at the cliché witch cackling because this is what the movie expects me to be horrified of, and that'd be funny if it weren't sad and shameful.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 22, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

No Egrets posted:

There just seems to be an air of "if you don't love this, you don't understand REAL horror movies" about it. It seems super snooty is all.

I could understand not liking it, but what I saw from the audience in my screening was a complete refusal to engage with the movie at all. A lot of people seem to take the viewpoint that watching a horror movie is some sort of challenge and if you don't get scared then you win or something and that's on the viewer, not the movie.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I loved it overall, I'm definitely planning on seeing it again. Somebody earlier said it best I think: it didn't feel like a movie, it felt like somebody stuck a camera on a farm in New England in the 1600s.

My main problem with it was the plot during the last 1/4 of the movie. Everyone turns evil out of nowhere for some reason. I guess I get the mom doing it because she wants to see her kids again. But the father decides not to kill the goat for no reason that I can tell, he just says "Hail Satan" and dies. It was strange because in the scene right before that he broke down, realized he was prideful and prayed for forgiveness. I didn't see how that led up to him turning evil and abandoning his family. I could understand Thomasin (sp?) going with the goat out of fear or shock, but it doesn't seem like that. She really just wants material possessions and goes from good Christian->Witch for the hell of it. She doesn't even seem scared. And she's just going to join up with the people who murdered her brother, who she seemed to love based on what we saw. Is it implying that Thomasin really was involved in witchcraft from the start? Or the twins were? They just vanished. I'm probably missing something, it just seemed odd and un-fulfilling to me.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 22, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

but what I saw from the audience in my screening was a complete refusal to engage with the movie at all

Movies are passive entertainment; the audience spends money for for the film to engage them. Be funny, be scary, be inspiring, be ~whatever~. If audiences aren't being engaged, the movie is at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
This movie was total poo poo. Our theatre was full and everyone in the audience began groaning the 4th or 5th time the screen went black just when it had you think something was actually going to happen. There wasn't even a plot. The only "scary" parts in the movie were the scenes in the trailers.

3/10 would not recommend.

• Locked thread