Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segue
May 23, 2007

I saw this at the Toronto International Film Festival and the audience was completely quiet throughout, which I think really helped build the oppressive and isolating atmosphere. I think most everyone liked it, but I was in a bit of a shell-shock state after going through it, so I wasn't really paying much attention.

It's one of my favourite horror movies because it doesn't rely on twists or jumps or gore. It takes a simple premise and builds all its horror through moviemaking. The plot is simple and straightforward, there's nothing all that surprising. It knows it wants to tell a folktale and does just that with beautiful shots, an unsubtle but effective score, and incredibly effective world-building.

If you buy into the world that Eggers builds, watching it all fall apart is horrifying in an existential way, and I think that theme of existential dread (of piety, purpose, transitioning to adulthood) is so pervasive that it's really affecting. But all this requires you to buy in to this sort of quaint world, and if you don't buy in, I guess it can seem a little silly.

I was really surprised it got a wide release because it's essentially art house horror, which I can see being a turn-off for the average person who expects less atmosphere and more jump-out scares. It's disappointing to see the audience reaction (I think it's at 55% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes compared to an 89% critic rating) because I've been telling everyone I know who likes horror movies to go see it.

But I think if you love horror movies, this is a special film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread