Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Buddy of mine had a real good theory walking out that there may have been some sort of cursed miscarriage or something going on in the film. It's unclear what the context is exactly, and whether the mother or the daughter is having the miscarriage, but there's just a lot of imagery that suggests that - dead baby obviously, the egg with the fetus in it, blood from the breast, etc.

Anyone else think there's any credit to it? I wouldn't even call it a "theory", really, more just the bare bones of subtext that might suggest something.

Aside from that, drat good film. Some real atmospheric horror that actually unsettled me. I just felt profoundly uncomfortable the whole time I was watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

I really like that the film runs on the concept that all the ridiculous things people believed about witches was actually 100% true.

Hell, that's the best part of it. The way they saved everything explicitly supernatural for the ending was genius. I wasn't sure how things would go when Thomasin addressed Black Phillip but "What dost thou want?" was a big surprise for me.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Mr. Unlucky posted:

what I am saying here is they had an amazing aesthetic that was 100% wasted on a total non story, the reason for this being decades of basic bitch garbage like Stabby Michael Man X: The Revenge

you loving morons already can't handle this simple fairy tale type crap imagine if they actually made a real story that required any amount of thought whatsoever. this could have been one of the best horror movies of all time instead of an unsatisfying tech demo for the world of horror we never got to see cause that retarded halloween slasher poo poo took over.

"ell em ayy oh my taste is loving supreme you idiots"

You sound like a really pretentious and boring person to be around

Go watch Ida and jerk off you loving nerd

DoctorG0nzo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 27, 2016

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Capntastic posted:

Nah, the witch stealing and pulping a baby in the first act and the Satan goat murdering the dad in the last is pretty antagonistic.

It's not that the story was thin, it's that the focus dramatically shifted from pastoral tensions of a deeply repressed family to a goat murdering someone and a cackling witch blowing up a barn. The punishments laid at the feet of the family have no bearing on the actions they took.

Dude, the reason things get as tense as they do is because everyone thinks that someone is a witch after the baby gets taken. They're constantly concerned with the dark forces in the forest and the idea that one or more of them has been taken under its sway. The fact that it's real - and that one of their number does indeed join the Devil's side at the end - is just a development that helps make things even more interesting.

• Locked thread