Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Wrestling history is human history, and so is pretending to wrestle. In pre-biblical times, kids would argue over who got to be Hercules and cut a promo on the Nemian Lion. In 1915, the Masked Marvel attended a Madison Square Garden event in cosplay, demanding to get in on the match. In the early 90s, BBS's arrived, so people could pretend to be Marty Janetty or Ted DiBiase, and write multi-paragraph diatibes about the rear end they were going to kick. At a certain point, the booker would post the pay-per-views and you would win or lose based on if you cut an interesting promo/he liked you.
(I was in one of these with my brothers but the federation was almost full, so I got to be Big Boss Man. I only remember one match but I hit someone with my nightstick while the ref wasn't looking and won. The summary of the match was a paragraph.)

Sometimes, people have tried to make tabletop games about Pro Wrestling.

While these games were interesting (and sometimes licensed), they had a fundamental problem. As Hulk Hogan might say, They Worked Themselves into a Shoot, Brother! Meaning it was never clear if your character knew, within the game, if wrestling was fake. So instead of telling long term stories (like good wrestling does), it became "Mortal Kombat but you don't kill each other."

Two years ago, designer Nathan Paoletta had a breakthrough. (He's pictured above with the bald head and mustache.)
He realized most wrestlers aren't great at "wrestling", but we still love them. He realized wrestling is most fun when you don't know exactly what's real and what's fake, whether it's backstage drama (ex: CM Punk's curtain call promo) or on camera battles (ex: whenever New Jack's in the ring).

In WWWRPG, you play a person who plays a wrestling character. Whether you're a Jobber, a Veteran or a Manager, you go out there every night and try to get yourself over, whether that's following booking's plan, or more likely, running in and starting poo poo. You can work real stiff and try to injure your opponents. You can break kayfabe and try to flash pin them thirty seconds into the match, or build momentum together and put on a showstopper.

The monster's job is to kick rear end and hurt people. If you're lucky, he'll only do it in the ring.

So, we're kickstarting an expansion for WWWRPG called International Incident, which is all about Japanese, Lucha, British, and Indie wrestling. We've created playbooks so you can be a Young Boy, El Santo the vampire fighter, or an Indie Fuckface who drops five superkicks a match. We have rules for running a federation, living life on the road, or Invading other companies. We've tripled our funding goal in ten days, so you can get access to the new stuff relatively cheaply.

We've caught on in Trad Games but I feel like there's not a lot of daylight between wrestling goons and RPG goons.

So:
Did you used to E-Fed? Have you ever suplexed a lich? Are RPGs bullshit and this thread is dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Reserved.

To Buy Know Your Role on Amazon, if you have $56: http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Know-Your-Role-Roleplaying/dp/1930950616

Download the quickstart WWWRPG rules here on the bottom right of the page: http://ndpdesign.com/wwwrpg/

The WWWRPG G+ Community: Here.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 20, 2016

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I always thought it would be freaking amazing to play a Pen and Paper Wrestling game, whether it was full Kayfabe like the campaign modes of those old 00s era video games or full shoot and you had to navigate the horrific backstage world of drugs, dirty bookers, and ring-rats while also putting on matches and storylines in character.

Do you think it would be more compelling from a campaign perspective to start from the bottom and work your way up the card trying to get over while the NWO is fighting Sting and John Cena is a slave to the Nexus happening around them as world building that they may or may not be able to participate in? Or would it be better to start the characters in the thick of the Main Event scene and have them fight against the biggest dogs on the card and backstage to maintain their spot and leave the lower card stuff as the world building (and source of potential sub-plots and allies perhaps?)

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
Spoony has a couple videos about the wwf/wwe games, The first video is about the D20 game, and the second is about the much better "World Wrestling Federation Basic Adventure Game"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8mbwgsDF0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWxjsEags8s

Mr.Flibble fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 20, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I was one of the initial playtesters for WWWRPG, playing in a couple test sessions with Tim Rodriguez in Brooklyn. The game was already super fun in its alpha state, so I'm super excited to give the final product a go. The biggest sticking point I remember is that it could be really tricky to recover in a satisfying way if you got screwed by some early rolls, but it looks like that's well in hand at this point.

Play WWWRPG everyone, it owns

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I always thought it would be freaking amazing to play a Pen and Paper Wrestling game, whether it was full Kayfabe like the campaign modes of those old 00s era video games or full shoot and you had to navigate the horrific backstage world of drugs, dirty bookers, and ring-rats while also putting on matches and storylines in character.

Do you think it would be more compelling from a campaign perspective to start from the bottom and work your way up the card trying to get over while the NWO is fighting Sting and John Cena is a slave to the Nexus happening around them as world building that they may or may not be able to participate in? Or would it be better to start the characters in the thick of the Main Event scene and have them fight against the biggest dogs on the card and backstage to maintain their spot and leave the lower card stuff as the world building (and source of potential sub-plots and allies perhaps?)

The cool thing about WWWPRG is that PCs are Important. When you roll the "Cut a Promo" move, one of the results you can pick is "Book yourself in a match / add stipulations to matches you're in."

So you want to call out the champ your first day in the company? If you're good on the stick, it'll work.

Generally, PCs are supposed to start without belts (because earning a belt is an automatic level up, as is ending a feud in a cool way, as is reaching maximum overness, as is reaching "I'll be fired if I don't fix this" overness.) If they're playing the Manager, Veteran or Time Bomb, they're probably very powerful backstage; if they're a jobber or newbie, I'd say give them a lot of resistance.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I miss efed drama

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Fat Lowtax posted:

I miss efed drama

I don't. That little microcosm of wrestling politics without the cocaine can stay away forever.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fat Lowtax posted:

I miss efed drama

Usually it was "Why aren't I getting a push?" "Because you suck at writing."

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
I ran an e-fed from 05-07~ and boy was that something. Backstage talk on AIM and PM's on the proboards site the e-fed was hosted on. I really regret being really really really into ECW as One Night Stand happened but somehow my fed was really over, and lasted a long long time. I think it hit ten years and closed down, last I checked. We we're supposed to be modeled after ECW, but I also liked Ring of Honor a whole bunch at the time so why wouldn't a hardcore wrestling promotion have a Pure Wrestling Championship too?! I could write a whole book of what it was like to be a teenager booking in the 00's with no social life outside of the e-fed.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Here is my five minute ring promo."

(writes 30,000 word dissertation)

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
I remember when people started making their promos like one act broadway plays with guns and being a single father working for the mob and having been in prison but is trying to get off pain killers....and they wouldn't even talk about wrestling or the match...and then they'd complain when they didn't win their match.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

On the e-fed side, I played mostly SWAT and Hardkore World. HKW was the best, if just solely because the dude writing it, Jonnie Valentine, was and probably still is one of the funniest and talented writers in that world. Hardkore World had some really gifted promo writers and some hilariously terrible players who took it way too seriously.

my favorite shittiest e-fedder was this dude who had an entire family of wrestlers, literally just copy and paste characters from Fist Of The North Star. His main character was Raoh and was 7'4" tall and 500 lbs but moved like Ricochet because of course he did. Terrible, long winded promos that always had these hilariously awful bootleg Poser images of his wrestlers.

Then there was The Shootfighter. Shoot had been playing since the days of by mail pen n paper e-wrestling, and cut the same awful promo everytime and lost almost every match but god bless his autistic heart, ol' Shootfighter wrote a promo for every damned card he was on.

E-fedding is my secret shame and on one level I'm glad I completely stopped doing it, I do miss it terribly sometimes.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I need to sign up for an efed as a "hot chick" with a Braun Strowman pic base

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I was off by 4".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Resides Los Angelis, California
Billed from Worldwide

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

super macho dude posted:

On the e-fed side, I played mostly SWAT and Hardkore World. HKW was the best, if just solely because the dude writing it, Jonnie Valentine, was and probably still is one of the funniest and talented writers in that world.

These appear to be chatlogs, but I still laugh all 40 times I read

quote:

former prowrestling.com internet reporter Matt Boone: (something).

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 22, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Matt Boone was the worst. Clickbait before it was clickbait. He'd constantly post huge headlines and then the link would go somewhere that had literally nothing to do with the title.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Forgot to post the best session of WWWRPG I've ever run, Ameribash.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This is a game I would shamelessly play online, as none of my real world friends are into wrestling beyond occasional TV.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

This is a game I would shamelessly play online, as none of my real world friends are into wrestling beyond occasional TV.

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2994907/lfp-world-wide-wrestling-wednesday-night-fights

There are also lots of people seeking games in the G+ group.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 22, 2016

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was really into efeds for a couple years in high school. I was weird though, I didn't particularly care about getting pushed, I just liked writing fun storylines and putting dudes over.

If I was to do it all over again, I'd be much more Hogan-esque in my politicking brother.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Since someone from HKW already posted, then it's only fair I post myself.

I deeply regret dropping out of ewrestling but acknowledge that it's an utterly toxic environment. I obsessed over it, obsessed over appropriate movesets and what they revealed about a character's personality. I'll say without shame that I hate everyone (near everyone) related with the hobby and regret I couldn't do more or find anyone as interested in pushing boundaries as I did. There's still Twitter e-wrestling but in no way is that the same. I even miss match-writing at times; those 5000 word pieces that were basically radio-wrestling.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If anyone prefers the "semi-kayfabe" approach of Know Your Role (i.e. the outcome's decided in the ring), there's Wild World Wrestling which is by the designers of KYR but doesn't have the license or the OGL (and thus is a little more freeform with character abilities). I signed up for a forum game of this but it never got started, but there's some potential here- the idea is everyone makes multiple characters ranging from main eventers to dark match workers.

I also remember hearing about a game called Kayfabe which was all about the behind-the-scenes perspective and lobbying to be given wins and so on, but it was a free web RPG and I have no idea where it went.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Wild World vs. World Wide. Shades of NWO vs the two person One Warrior Nation.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately I work evenings.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

If anyone prefers the "semi-kayfabe" approach of Know Your Role (i.e. the outcome's decided in the ring), there's Wild World Wrestling which is by the designers of KYR but doesn't have the license or the OGL (and thus is a little more freeform with character abilities). I signed up for a forum game of this but it never got started, but there's some potential here- the idea is everyone makes multiple characters ranging from main eventers to dark match workers.

Wild World Wrestling has some other unique things going for it as well, like the fact it's pretty much all PVP focused, or that it can be run GM-less or with a rotating GM schedule. I've got the book, but haven't had a chance to really test it yet.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neige posted:

I deeply regret dropping out of ewrestling but acknowledge that it's an utterly toxic environment.

How is it that every single e-fed turned into a poisonous environment that ate itself? Is it because it's a fanfiction game and nobody wanted to acknowledge it? Is it because it's a geeky hobby niche-ing into another geeky hobby, meaning only assholes would do it? is it because everyone involved desperately wants acknowledgement and there's not enough to go around?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Neige posted:

regret I couldn't do more or find anyone as interested in pushing boundaries as I did.

Me to

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

rotinaj posted:

How is it that every single e-fed turned into a poisonous environment that ate itself? Is it because it's a fanfiction game and nobody wanted to acknowledge it? Is it because it's a geeky hobby niche-ing into another geeky hobby, meaning only assholes would do it? is it because everyone involved desperately wants acknowledgement and there's not enough to go around?

As a former e-fedder, I think it's down to the age-old problem of people taking things entirely too seriously.

I always took the mindset of "It's fake wrestling on the internet. It doesn't really matter" and tried to have fun.

When it stopped being fun, I stopped e-fedding.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

rotinaj posted:

It's at least partially the fact that the 'promoter' is picking wins and losses. In simulated feds, there wasn't as much drama.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I was in an e-fed for a while. I remember waiting on tenterhooks for results to be posted and spending hours trying to come up with weird gimmick matches.

The top heel and top babyface of the promotion were both written by the guy who wrote the results. The heel's weapon of choice was a box cutter and he would stab people to death. Sometimes they would come back to life.

That's my story.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

reality_groove posted:

I was in an e-fed for a while. I remember waiting on tenterhooks for results to be posted and spending hours trying to come up with weird gimmick matches.

The top heel and top babyface of the promotion were both written by the guy who wrote the results. The heel's weapon of choice was a box cutter and he would stab people to death. Sometimes they would come back to life.

That's my story.

My characters were so very dumb. One was dressed like one of the Undertaker's druids and was called "Invictus" and used a sledgehammer like Triple H. Preteen me thought quoting Robert Frost in wrestling promos was super deep. The other was named "Neophyte" and he was obsessed with selling t-shirts, would hawk his t-shirts at every opportunity and would choke his enemies with his t-shirt. A gimmick doomed to midcard comedy jobber status.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

El Generico posted:

he was obsessed with selling t-shirts, would hawk his t-shirts at every opportunity and would choke his enemies with his t-shirt.

Give the Bucks another year or two......

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

El Generico posted:

My characters were so very dumb. One was dressed like one of the Undertaker's druids and was called "Invictus" and used a sledgehammer like Triple H. Preteen me thought quoting Robert Frost in wrestling promos was super deep. The other was named "Neophyte" and he was obsessed with selling t-shirts, would hawk his t-shirts at every opportunity and would choke his enemies with his t-shirt. A gimmick doomed to midcard comedy jobber status.
I'm convinced that some of the efed nerds from 10-15 years ago went on to being hired as writers by TNA and WWE and have gotten their terrible character gimmicks and angles onto tv.

scarier thought: Creative is nothing more than a room full of writers going through old invision board efed threads and copying ideas.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

super macho dude posted:

I'm convinced that some of the efed nerds from 10-15 years ago went on to being hired as writers by TNA and WWE and have gotten their terrible character gimmicks and angles onto tv.

scarier thought: Creative is nothing more than a room full of writers going through old invision board efed threads and copying ideas.

There's not enough rape, murder, drug abuse or organized crime for that to be happening. Boy did efedders love that poo poo. It's so mature and edgy, man.

Maaaaaaaan.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
I contributed a character to Filsinger Games growing universe of wrestlers and got a starter pack for Champions of the Galaxy in return. Wrestlers in space, if you will. You had these cards and you rolled a D6 for which move you did, progressing towards higher level moves and eventually to your finisher. They had quite the lore with generational legacies and what-nots.

And there's also the wrestling TCG that got big for a month or two, currently survived by Team Canada online, although i haven't followed them in ages.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I remember nothing about e-fedding other than the one time a friend of mine got banned from a forum after he was e-fedding as Kurt Angle.

He proceeded to post in every forum about how he was going to make me, JBL, "tape out", and did that even after administrators told him "dude, why are you posting this in the gta san andreas pirated iso thread?"

I loved the early 2000s

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sounds like Intensity and Integrity to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Are you involved in this game Golden Bee?

• Locked thread