Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Fairly self-explanitory. I went straight to university after school here in the UK. Being 18 I didn't give much thought to my future and chose a lovely humanities course. I drifted through my 3-year BA and scraped by with a 2:2. Now I find myself earning about a pound over minimum wage in a customer service job :smithicide: . Without wanting to sound arrogant, I'm better than this and I'm finally starting to get ambitious.

The only thing is, starting from scratch again is really hard here in the UK unless you have rich parents. I'm willing to go abroad to get an education but that would also require getting some money together at the very least to pay for food and accomodation for three years.

I also haven't figured out what field I would like a job in but basically what I want is:

- Something that will prove my intelligence
- Something well paid (ie. something where I could reasonably expect to earn at least £30,000 a year)
- Something that is in demand around the world (especially since I'm not to hopeful about the UK economy)

I'm thinking my best bet would be engineering but I'm really not sure and I've only just started to plan.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

uninverted posted:

I can't say whether going back to school is a good idea for you or not, but that's a really bad motivation to do anything. If you want more intellectual challenge that's great, but saying it like that makes you sound like an insecure kid.

I guess I worded that wrong. What I meant to say was that I'm tired of doing unskilled work partly because I feel like I'm wasting my potential.

• Locked thread