Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Holy loving poo poo and I thought super hexagon was hard.

The replays of those that get two minutes and further are goddamn crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
195 here. I can consistently get 2 minutes+, but get hosed at 1:15 with the centipede + spider spawn. Need to get a lucky quick spider kill and then have the centipede line up nicely to harvest his gems all in one go it seems. Before then I can basically keep the map clear.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Shoefish posted:

195 here. I can consistently get 2 minutes+, but get hosed at 1:15 with the centipede + spider spawn. Need to get a lucky quick spider kill and then have the centipede line up nicely to harvest his gems all in one go it seems. Before then I can basically keep the map clear.

yeah, i started running into the same issue today. i can usually get past the centipede but i always get less than half it's gems and get overwhelmed soon after

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
I uploaded my best run (406 seconds, #7 in the world last I checked) to youtube and annotated it with some nifty tips n' tricks on how to beat the skulls! Check it out if you're struggling with any part in the first 400 seconds and it just might help you figure it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7fap82pnUo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That video was the first I've seen of this game and jesus christ the audiovisual cacophony of this game is gonna give me nightmares :stonk:

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloodmobile posted:

I uploaded my best run (406 seconds, #7 in the world last I checked) to youtube and annotated it with some nifty tips n' tricks on how to beat the skulls! Check it out if you're struggling with any part in the first 400 seconds and it just might help you figure it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7fap82pnUo

Thanks. How did you get the cursor to stay on screen?

Ciaphas posted:

That video was the first I've seen of this game and jesus christ the audiovisual cacophony of this game is gonna give me nightmares :stonk:

Played this so much everything is floating skulls and that droning noise the red gems make.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

plape tickler posted:

Thanks. How did you get the cursor to stay on screen?

That wasn't actually a part of the run, that was just fraps recording a hidden cursor when I captured the demo that I didn't notice until I finished annotating it that I'm far too lazy to fix now.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, a reticle would be nice, thought you hacked it in somehow.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

plape tickler posted:

Oh, a reticle would be nice, thought you hacked it in somehow.

If you desire to cheat you can just google 'external crosshair' and download the first one you think seems legitimate. The DD devs might have a low tolerance for people trying to get an unfair advantage to get ahead on the leaderboards though so I'd advise against it.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah you're probably right. It wouldn't help me enough to bother anyway. Not going to be seeing past 200 seconds anytime soon.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Bloodmobile posted:

This is really cool, thanks for posting. Learning more about where and when things spawn in has helped me quite a bit. Now if I could just do something about my garbage aim.

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling

Bloodmobile posted:

Great run, and thanks for the heads up info--managed 500 something at around 3 minutes (now 603) and usually get hung up on that first skeleton (infester?) as the sacrificer's skull usually kills me. The tip about where to aim for the gemmed skull above spawners will definitely shave a few seconds though.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
I had to turn my ingame mouse sensitivity down considerably to get it to where I can aim effectively.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im so close to consistently killing the first centipede i can taste it

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ShadowMar posted:

im so close to consistently killing the first centipede i can taste it

Immediately kill the second giant spider-skull (island) when it appears and the centipede will head towards you and then rise up, giving you the perfect opportunity to gun that mofo down.

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling

ShadowMar posted:

i've never seen these in any replays :stare:

I think these guys come from the chandelier boss

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I can pretty consistently get to the centipede clean (if I have the right music playing) but I find that killing the centipede and then killing the spider before it eats the centipede's gems is way easier than trying to kill the spider before going after the centipede. Why? Because I always end up having skulls spawn as I'm centipede killing if I wasted my time on the spider first but having a clean, walking shot on the centipede gives me enough time to kill the spider before skulls spawn.

Thoughts from the experts on this one?

That said, I was curious about the blue daggers you spawn when you level up your shot. How do you shoot those? I should know now before I get that far.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wouldn't mind a real game being made out of this, I love the chunky Quake 3d graphics. I don't really want to pay five bux for an arena time trial, but some little Painkiller style campaign would be cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
gently caress this game is so good, and sooo hard.

I just got to what I guess is the first boss? Giant cyberdemon brain spider thing? Holy gently caress this rules.

E: Up to 5082'th place, what about you guys?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 23, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zaphod42 posted:

I just got to what I guess is the first boss? Giant cyberdemon brain spider thing? Holy gently caress this rules.

I was 649 last night but I get the feeling I'll be in the 800-900s tonight thanks to Vinesauce streaming the game last night.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zaphod42 posted:

452 right now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoRbNs9bDk @4:40

Oh my godddddd :unsmigghh:

ShadowMar posted:

i've never seen these in any replays :stare:

This might be the guy above? He doesn't actually look like that, that's just his head. Its even worse. Holy poo poo.

E: Actually might be slightly different.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 23, 2016

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just got to 192 seconds (441rst), and I don't know if my heart can take it. The game becomes a pure adrenaline rush. b0necarver's and the other top guy's runs are absolutely eye melting. They almost seem like a parody of EXXXTREEEEME!! 90's games.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 23, 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Zaphod42 posted:

last night i was in the top 300s but now im 406th

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just hit 275 with 199s

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i beat my old score by 6 seconds and went up 131 ranks to 280. also i finally managed to get the homing daggers for once before promptly being impaled by a skull

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Have we seen all the enemies? I noticed the store page says there are 13 enemies, but I'm not sure how they count that.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

pairofdimes posted:

Have we seen all the enemies? I noticed the store page says there are 13 enemies, but I'm not sure how they count that.

this is all of them afaik though im not sure if the spider eggs count in the store page total
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=630522897

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
I'm in the top 3! :toot:

Got pretty close to beating the Devastator. Had the maximum amount of homing daggers you can have coming into the fight but just couldn't seal the deal :(

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 23, 2016

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Was 48th last night with 239, dropped 30 spots over night. Even after consistently killing the first centipede now still find myself getting a bit overwhelmed at 180ish, too much stuff on the board when the spiders rock up.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Somebody poured their heart and sold their soul in order to make this the most unsettling game I've ever seen.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Shoefish posted:

Was 48th last night with 239, dropped 30 spots over night. Even after consistently killing the first centipede now still find myself getting a bit overwhelmed at 180ish, too much stuff on the board when the spiders rock up.

If you collect 100% of crystals up until that part it's really easy. The only real way to fall behind is if you fail the quick kill on the eviscerator and have to catch up by killing it after things actually start spawning. If I miss more than 2 crystals when it burrows the first time I just instantly hit R. The video I posted on this page has instructions on how to consistently get the quick kill.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, this is a really cool and good game that took me 15 minutes to learn I will never good at it. I'm glad there was an option to watch the best person's replay so I can know what it would look like to be good.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

Bloodmobile posted:

If you collect 100% of crystals up until that part it's really easy. The only real way to fall behind is if you fail the quick kill on the eviscerator and have to catch up by killing it after things actually start spawning. If I miss more than 2 crystals when it burrows the first time I just instantly hit R. The video I posted on this page has instructions on how to consistently get the quick kill.

Yeah your video is how I'm now doing well at the centipede, getting good kills on it 90% of the time. I must be loving up a few crystals in the leadup though, cause it seems to take a few more spawner/bigskull kills then i expect to hit the upgrade. Just happy to be top 100 though!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
New top score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pl7y5BDEEs

Sheer lunacey

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVRcfRVVpfQ

Here's something interesting for headphone users. You can enable HRTF since this game supports OpenAL and has the latest version of OpenAL Soft
Follow this guide to install 32bit and 64bit OpenAL Soft onto windows and enable HRTF. The dev said in the steam forums that he'll try and implement it sometime, but it's pretty easy to do yourself. This also works for all games that support OpenAL

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Managed to get into the top 200, but when I get past 210 seconds I really want to start screaming in terror :aaaaa:

God the sound design is so effective.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Quick tip: If you hold down the regular fire button when you fire homing daggers you will fire less of them than you would if you only fired homing daggers. This is useful for both conserving them and to get them to spread out all around you by spinning in a circle, holding down the fire button and mashing M2.

e: I also just confirmed that Spawners spawn the first group ~3 seconds after they appear on the map and the second group ~20 seconds after they spawned the first group. The times are the same for both types of spawners.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 24, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I haven't got this yet for money reasons, but how do homing daggers work? Or rather, how do you get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I've never loved and hated a game so much in my life

Just got to upgrade level 1... and I need a break, god drat

• Locked thread