Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Just got to upgrade level 1... and I need a break, god drat

Getting the first upgrade makes the next ~30 seconds much easier than they should be, my first run after getting 10 gems is my longest so far, the adrenaline kept me going and I can't duplicate it. This game is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I haven't got this yet for money reasons, but how do homing daggers work? Or rather, how do you get them.

Most enemy types drop crystals when killed. Collecting them will upgrade your primary attack. You need 10 crystals for level 2 daggers and 70 crystals for level 3. After you reach level 3 every crystal you collect converts into a homing dagger. Pressing M2 will launch ~10-20 daggers, holding M1 and pressing M2 will launch ~5-10 daggers. They will go straight for the closest enemy (ignoring swarmers and things the infester spawns AFAIK) and will kill most things in 1 hit. You can hold a maximum of 70 homing daggers at a time.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
I would really like a crystal counter ingame. Would that make it too easy?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shoefish posted:

I would really like a crystal counter ingame. Would that make it too easy?

Probably not, but it's probably not important to know exactly how many crystals you have at any one time, since the number of crystals you need to get before 200 seconds is just "all of them"

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Glagha posted:

Probably not, but it's probably not important to know exactly how many crystals you have at any one time, since the number of crystals you need to get before 200 seconds is just "all of them"

It would make the parts past level 3 much easier though. Having to guess how many homing daggers you actually have is a major pain in the rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game physically hurts me, because I grip my mouse so intensely for so long it leaves my wrist and fingers sore.

But drat its good.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zaphod42 posted:

This game physically hurts me, because I grip my mouse so intensely for so long it leaves my wrist and fingers sore.

But drat its good.
I actually set up an auto-hotkey script to make it so the game would auto-fire but still let me get shotgun blasts in.

Then I realized how much better I am at killing everything with mostly just shotgun blasts. Now my hand hurts less! But I still think I need a better mouse. :(

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Do you guys jump a lot or no? I am having trouble mapping jump to my mousewheel :( It's awkward going to spacebar.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Yay, finally got gold and back in the top 100 with 304. I jump a lot after 160+ seconds, bhopping is quicker then the skulls and you can bounce around the map killing spawners and shotgunning behind you every now and then.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I jump so much that I don't even know when I'm not jumping. If I need speed, I'm jumping like crazy, and with so much going on at 200+ seconds I just subconsciously do it. My highscore so far is 358 seconds and I don't think I'm going to be beating it anytime soon. My wrists hurt

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm in the top two thousand players now and my mind is on fire

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I used to be #40, now I'm at a plebeian #150.

Audax posted:

Do you guys jump a lot or no? I am having trouble mapping jump to my mousewheel :( It's awkward going to spacebar.

Jump all the time. However, I'm not finding a lot of use for the "shotgun jump."

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Is the shotgun that useful at all? I always feel like the huge delay between shots seems to make it longer to kill enemies, even if you are getting good hits in.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Is the shotgun that useful at all? I always feel like the huge delay between shots seems to make it longer to kill enemies, even if you are getting good hits in.

From what I can tell you kite skulls a lot and quick spins to throw a shotgun blast is a good way to kill a bunch and keep moving.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Man I was totally in the top 300 or so, and then I didn't play for a week and now I'm in the top 3 thousand. Looks like this game took off real quick.

Still on top of my friends list, though :smug:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
My friend decided he beat Devil Daggers after getting a time of 66.6 seconds. Fair enough.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Audax posted:

Only way to survive skull crowds once 4 spawners show up is to circle strafe with bunny hops. They are way faster then you but can't turn.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zaphod42 posted:

But drat its good.

turning your sensitivity down may help with this

i just bought this and played for 84 mins straight. coincidentally, my best time is 84 seconds . . .

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I just watched the current record-holder's record run on Youtube.

:staredog:

how the fuckk

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
satan is my motorrrrrr

hear my motor purrrrrr

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Anal Surgery posted:

I just watched the current record-holder's record run on Youtube.

:staredog:

how the fuckk

This is the record holder's review.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/DraQu/recommended/422970/

Skill and dedication, I think.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's a Quake/Doom speedrunner iirc.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just got DEVIL DAGGERS and joined the group, Steam name Yodzilla. I've daggered so many devils already, after a short session I think my high time is around 80 seconds.

This game is stressful as gently caress.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

He speed runs Unreal, this game is a lesser hell than he's ever known.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

You know it's time to take a break from Devil Daggers when you die to the first spawner.

No, not the first enemy wave. I failed to kill the spawner and just ran straight into it :downs:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Made it to 181 seconds. My hands loving hurt.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I just joined the group but I currently only have two goons on my friends list that play this. I beat both their scores by getting to 105. This loving game ugh. I suck so bad even compared to people in this thread

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 28, 2016

badguyfromthegame
Jan 23, 2014

I'm only one second off from being on the top of my friend's scores. Only problem is that around the 100 second mark I end up getting buried by a recently spawned swarm. It's almost always right next to a recently created spawner, too.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
just got 194 seconds COME AT ME BROS

(don't come at me this game is so hard help me)

this game is triggering some kinda compulsion in me that reminds me of people who get obsessed with clicker games or something, I'm seriously starting to think this could get unhealthy

edit: oh by the way, my big devil daggers tip is that the game appears to run by default with v-sync enabled, if you disable v-sync in your driver settings the game feels somewhat more responsive, it's subtle but your brain will notice

cat doter fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 28, 2016

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Phycosymo posted:

I'm only one second off from being on the top of my friend's scores. Only problem is that around the 100 second mark I end up getting buried by a recently spawned swarm. It's almost always right next to a recently created spawner, too.

It's those damned laughing skulls. Every time I get myself clear enough to turn around and shoot it, it's already in my face eating my bones.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Got any tips for beating the first spider + snake combo? I'm at 200 seconds but it's hard making it past that cause I can't consistently beat those two.

I usually kill the spider right away and then hope the snake lines up perfectly, but more often than not it won't and I'll only get 50-75% of the damage in. Finishing it off during the next few waves makes it hard to keep things from spiraling out of control.

Elman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 28, 2016

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Elman posted:

Got any tips for beating the first spider + snake combo? I'm at 200 seconds but it's hard making it past that cause I can't consistently beat those two.

I usually kill the spider right away and then hope the snake lines up perfectly, but more often than not it won't and I'll only get 50-75% of the damage in. Finishing it off during the next few waves makes it hard to keep things from spiraling out of control.

Going underneath it's head is what makes it burrow so avoid that. It usually spawns near the skull so while you kill the skull, the eviscerator's circling around the arena. From there you can turn around and run backwards, kiting it a bit until it's lined up and you have a good position to kill it. It's pretty hard to kill if you still have swarmers flying around though

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 28, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

cat doter posted:

just got 194 seconds COME AT ME BROS

(don't come at me this game is so hard help me)

195 :smugwizard:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

212 :smug:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

HolyKrap posted:

Going underneath it's head is what makes it burrow so avoid that. It usually spawns near the skull so while you kill the skull, the eviscerator's circling around the arena. From there you can turn around and run backwards, kiting it a bit until it's lined up and you have a good position to kill it. It's pretty hard to kill if you still have swarmers flying around though

Oh, so that's what it was. I'm doing better against it now.

214 :smugdog:

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 28, 2016

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

346. :baby:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
This game is really fun. I'm not getting much past 80 seconds though after about a half hour of playing.

My first game played was the best. I ran off the ledge.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

397 :smuggo:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
90 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

My current problem is I only barely get the 2nd upgrade around 170, which means I can't clear everything in time for the spiders + snake combo and I get overwhelmed during that wave :negative:

• Locked thread