Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I watched the world record holder and I really don't see how you could possibly advance from where he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Yodzilla posted:

I watched the world record holder and I really don't see how you could possibly advance from where he dies.

probably by doing better (somehow :negative:) up to that point

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yodzilla posted:

Made it to 181 seconds. My hands loving hurt.

Yeah dude I feel you

Zaphod42 posted:

This game physically hurts me, because I grip my mouse so intensely for so long it leaves my wrist and fingers sore.

But drat its good.

This game is like the tug-of-war minigame in Mario Party; it makes me hurt myself but god damnit I have to win.

Yodzilla posted:

The thing is every gem you miss slows down your damage and means you get more spawns catching up. At a certain point anybody is going to hit a level where they can't keep up and its game over, and there's nothing you could do in that situation to survive. The whole thing of this game is trying to get enough gems fast enough to delay when that happens. In theory its balanced so that if you kill fast enough and collect all the gems or whatever, then you can keep going. But the pace just keeps picking up speed until its so frantic you can't keep up.

Its kinda like tetris when you think about it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

There's an achievement for reaching 500 seconds and only 3 people have it. I doubt you're meant to go much further than that.

(feel free to mock this post a few months from now when people start reaching 1000 seconds and beat the 2nd boss)

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I don't think there are 13 'bosses'. The game says there are 13 'terrifying enemies', and I'm pretty sure we start counting them at the swarmskulls and sacrificers. The chandelier isn't number 1, it's number 13.

The game's content has been revealed to the masses; the mountain only remains to be climbed for yourself.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Pretty bullshit that the achievement isn't for 666 seconds. :colbert:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Samurai posted:

Pretty bullshit that the achievement isn't for 666 seconds. :colbert:

I hope someone eventually gets to the funny number.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Devil Tesla posted:

I hope someone eventually gets to the funny number.

but a bunch of people have already gotten to 420 :confused:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
man no matter what I do I can't get through that 200 seconds barrier reliably, I know intellectually what I'm supposed to do but every time I try I just get hosed up

what do I do??????? I'm stumped!!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

but a bunch of people have already gotten to 420 :confused:

and many more to 69

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

cat doter posted:

man no matter what I do I can't get through that 200 seconds barrier reliably, I know intellectually what I'm supposed to do but every time I try I just get hosed up

what do I do??????? I'm stumped!!!

That's usually when I use the first set of homing daggers. Around 200 is when a lot of things spawn at once, but they give you time to kill everything. If you can clear it out quickly you get like a 15 second break before the 234 wave starts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hope this game does something similar to that lovely Race the Sun game where it just changes the order and configuration of the enemy spawns once a month or something

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

HolyKrap posted:

That's usually when I use the first set of homing daggers. Around 200 is when a lot of things spawn at once, but they give you time to kill everything. If you can clear it out quickly you get like a 15 second break before the 234 wave starts.

yeah I have trouble getting enough homing daggers at that point, once all the spawners and those spider skulls start coming in all at once all I can do is jump around the very edge of the arena and hope for the best

also this bug is really starting to annoy me, on 4 separate occasions I've beaten my high score and it just fails to update

I mean look at this, this is after sitting on this screen for like a minute, nothing happens

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

cat doter posted:

yeah I have trouble getting enough homing daggers at that point, once all the spawners and those spider skulls start coming in all at once all I can do is jump around the very edge of the arena and hope for the best

also this bug is really starting to annoy me, on 4 separate occasions I've beaten my high score and it just fails to update

I mean look at this, this is after sitting on this screen for like a minute, nothing happens

Did you force vsync off? I remember seeing a post in the steam forums about some guy's score not updating when he had vsync off. The game detects it as a cheat or something

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man do I love that Psygnosis style font they used on the menus :3:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Slowly improving. Went from 107 yesterday to 156 today. Saw my first centipede, but didn't kill it. Game is frustrating, but fun as hell.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

HolyKrap posted:

Did you force vsync off? I remember seeing a post in the steam forums about some guy's score not updating when he had vsync off. The game detects it as a cheat or something

I do have it forced off since it adds a bit of mouse lag, what a bunch of bullshit

it updates sometimes though, idgi

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

cat doter posted:

I do have it forced off since it adds a bit of mouse lag, what a bunch of bullshit

it updates sometimes though, idgi
I guess it sometimes doesn't detect that you are cheating.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Watching this guy cheat on twitch right now http://www.twitch.tv/arandomgnome

Apparently you can walk just off the edge and survive.

e. haven't seen him live longer than 70 seconds there though

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 1, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope this game does something similar to that lovely Race the Sun game where it just changes the order and configuration of the enemy spawns once a month or something

When did we decide that Race the Sun was lovely?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

khwarezm posted:

When did we decide that Race the Sun was lovely?

I did, the day it came out. gently caress that game

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 1, 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I guess it sometimes doesn't detect that you are cheating.

that's a weird thing to consider as cheating

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Holy poo poo this game is hard. I can't stop playing it though. My best time is only 104 seconds. I can kill the first spider, but the time spent killing it lets the other spawners get out of control. Especially since the bigger horned skulls start appearing around that time.

I haven't tried jumping to move faster yet though so that may help. Is that how I'm seeing people stay ahead of the skulls and kite them around? Because just running they're faster than me and I have to juke them since they can't turn very well.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Travic posted:

Holy poo poo this game is hard.

https://gfycat.com/VariableLimitedFalcon

:saddowns:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's when I turn the game off and go to bed.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Thank you for sharing this moment with us. There's no judgement here in the House of Bones - only abrupt, skull-related death.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Honestly, if that was my new best run, I'd never want to succeed it. I'd just let the replay stand immortal in the leaderboards, simultaneously the greatest honor and greatest shame of Devil Daggers, for all to see until the heat death of Steamworks the universe.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

cat doter posted:

that's a weird thing to consider as cheating
I personally don't but depending on how a game is made, V-Sync can actually break physics and timers. I don't know if you know anything about Dark Souls but when the PC port got modded to unlock 60fps (a true V-Sync for many monitors) it caused certain physics to break which, in turn, made multiplayer possibly imbalanced. I think Fallout 3 has a similar issue which is why it is frame locked as well. There are plenty of other games that have simulation and timing wonkiness if you unlock their V-Sync.

So, the point is, this game probably relies on the 60fps V-Sync to do proper timing so nobody cheats with the online leaderboards. Thus, unlocking V-Sync (and thus allowing more frames to get rendered which, in turn, probably allows time to "pass faster" according to the simulation) is cheating.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
the worst feeling in this game is misclicking the SHOT so that instead of a devastating blast that decimates the swarm you get a wet fart that tickles a pursuing horn skull

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

DaveKap posted:

I personally don't but depending on how a game is made, V-Sync can actually break physics and timers. I don't know if you know anything about Dark Souls but when the PC port got modded to unlock 60fps (a true V-Sync for many monitors) it caused certain physics to break which, in turn, made multiplayer possibly imbalanced. I think Fallout 3 has a similar issue which is why it is frame locked as well. There are plenty of other games that have simulation and timing wonkiness if you unlock their V-Sync.

So, the point is, this game probably relies on the 60fps V-Sync to do proper timing so nobody cheats with the online leaderboards. Thus, unlocking V-Sync (and thus allowing more frames to get rendered which, in turn, probably allows time to "pass faster" according to the simulation) is cheating.

I don't know much about this side of game development, but can't you lock games to a specific framerate without engaging V-sync? I know this can obviously cause screentearing like mad, but since Devil Daggers will probably run at a consistent framerate on any system built in the last decade anyways, I can't see it being that big of an issue for most.

I don't personally notice the mouse lag, but for something this built around precision and reflexes, I'd be kind of amazed if they built it to inherently need a thing that causes mouse lag to function properly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DaveKap posted:

Bethesda RPGs have to have v-sync on because the physics are tied to framerate, because Bethesda is incompetent. If your FPS is too high then physics start moving faster than the rest of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv6Ufgz47bY

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bethesda RPGs have to have v-sync on because the physics are tied to framerate, because Bethesda is incompetent. If your FPS is too high then physics start moving faster than the rest of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv6Ufgz47bY

god bless you for posting this hahahah

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

DaveKap posted:

The thing is this game's not even locked at 60. I'm playing fine at 144fps on my 144hz monitor. I'm thinking the devs were just doing everything they could to prevent cheating, any tampering with the game at all can list you as a cheater, apparently it shows up in the <username>.log file in the game's directory when it detects something's been changed. I dunno though, you'd think a game about precision would have the ability to turn off vsync cause it's well known that it causes mouse lag.
Maybe rendering above 140 fps can screw up the timer? If that's the case maybe vsync off along with an fps cap would work. I can't test it because I doubt I'll be beating my score anytime soon

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Elman posted:

There's an achievement for reaching 500 seconds and only 3 people have it. I doubt you're meant to go much further than that.

(feel free to mock this post a few months from now when people start reaching 1000 seconds and beat the 2nd boss)

Just you wait. In like a week or two 500 will be scrub tier. :sigh:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

DaveKap posted:

well I know that can't be true because my monitor is 120hz and the game by default just locks the frame rate to 120fps, so it's not relying on a 60hz simulation

when I force v-sync off it runs at about 180fps (that appears to be the max I think?) and just feels a lot better to control since there's less mouse lag, which is the only difference that I've been able to observe, all the timing and everything is identical

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Moartoast posted:

Honestly, if that was my new best run, I'd never want to succeed it. I'd just let the replay stand immortal in the leaderboards, simultaneously the greatest honor and greatest shame of Devil Daggers, for all to see until the heat death of Steamworks the universe.

Well of course that's not my best :colbert: This is my best:

https://gfycat.com/BlankDisfiguredHarvestmen

... :negative:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Elman posted:

My secret shame. I do this a lot.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Elman posted:

There should be that noise you usually hear when someone falls in a cartoon along with a laugh track whenever you fall off the edge.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

There should be that noise you usually hear when someone falls in a cartoon along with a laugh track whenever you fall off the edge.

I'd be hearing that laugh track a lot then

especially when it hits around the 200 seconds mark I try to be fancy and bunny hop around the very very edge of the arena since that's usually the clearest area

I always fall off

always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Elman posted:

This is me but minus about 30 seconds.