Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Requesting DD's sound effects to help me fall asleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Devil Daggers: An ASMR Experience

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I don't have any fancy video of it but my embarrassing deaths are mostly from running directly into spires. :downs:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Is there any way to pull the replays from the game files rather than using a separate recording program? If not then that'd be a nice feature for future updates.

e. 222 is my latest, is everyone else farming to get beyond my time?

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 3, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh my god getting to the third level of power feels SO loving GOOD.

The sound is like unleashing pure white hot fury goddamn. I think I made it to 217 seconds but now I can regularly get to that upgrade stage and drat it's good.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_BWmn3Ds0E

He's more skull than human.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Is there a reason he leaves the spawners alive near the start? Is it to farm more gems by letting another big skull pop out?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Odobenidae posted:

Is there a reason he leaves the spawners alive near the start? Is it to farm more gems by letting another big skull pop out?

I can't imagine any other possible reason.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Goddamn look how early he got the level 3 upgrade doing that. WELP now I have a new Thing To Do.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Odobenidae posted:

That and probably to switch things up in the beginning. It barely helps with getting the second upgrade, he still got it a little after killing the first eviscerator. I'm starting to think I should leave the spawners too, I need practice surviving with a lot of skulls flying around; something I'm not getting by killing everything as soon as they spawn.

This is me dodging skulls
https://gfycat.com/ConsiderateGlassAmazonparrot

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The current number #2 guy weaksauce doesn't farm. He just kills everything as it spawns and he got something like 606 seconds.

I tried farming, but I'm not good enough. I get behind too early and it all goes to poo poo. These guys are just so much better at aiming their shots than I am. I tend to aim more by strafing than moving my mouse which gets me into trouble.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
165 seconds :smuggo:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

352 :smug:

...I will never beat those worms :negative:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Elman posted:

352 :smug:

...I will never beat those worms :negative:

I'll have you know I beat my record and now I'm at 166 seconds :smuggo::smuggo::smuggo::smuggo:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'll have you know I beat my record and now I'm at 166 seconds :smuggo::smuggo::smuggo::smuggo:

I never do this cause I have the terrible habit of beating through difficult segments through sheer luck, getting new highscores that I'll never reach again till I practice that previous segment for a few hours and learn how to do it consistently :saddowns:

I like my current route though, just gotta get better at fighting those drat worms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6d2932zEtY

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm stuck at 222, and I only got that far by cheesing an extra 10 seconds jumping all around just trying to dodge while not really killing anything.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

It's because repeating the first four piss-easy minutes of the game over a hundred times gets to be loving boring and you need something to do to occupy the time. Personally I've started listening to podcasts until the 234 second mark, which is the first section of the game you actually have to take seriously.

Getting to level 3 a bit earlier is entirely meaningless since if you just collect 100% of crystals you will reach lvl 3 at the precise moment when it becomes relevant.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bloodmobile posted:

Personally I've started listening to podcasts until the 234 second mark, which is the first section of the game you actually have to take seriously.

Really? I'm at 425 but I have a lot of trouble with the section before 234 since you have to kill 3 spiders instantly, then the worm, then survive a skull swarm while killing the other 3 spiders before you can actually turn around and clear everything. Maybe I'm rushing things and I should actually clear that swarm first and then the spiders? I always end up having some spare time before 234, if I don't die in that part, but I figured that was cause I killed the worm early. Or is it just cause I don't like to use homing daggers there?

The segment after 234 seems easier in comparison, you just spray everything down and use a single homing dagger burst to help you clear the spawners before the worms come out.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Elman posted:

Really? I'm at 425 but I have a lot of trouble with the section before 234 since you have to kill 3 spiders instantly, then the worm, then survive a skull swarm while killing the other 3 spiders before you can actually turn around and clear everything. Maybe I'm rushing things and I should actually clear that swarm first and then the spiders? I always end up having some spare time before 234, if I don't die in that part, but I figured that was cause I killed the worm early. Or is it just cause I don't like to use homing daggers there?

The segment after 234 seems easier in comparison, you just spray everything down and use a single homing dagger burst to help you clear the spawners before the worms come out.

The part at 234 isn't particularly difficult but clearing it ASAP is crucial to get everything cleared up before the triple eviscerators start spawning. You don't need to hoard crystals for that part either. If you don't go for the quick kill on the eviscerator you can just kill stuff, spam homing daggers you get from killing stuff and wait for the stuff you just killed with homing daggers to drop more homing daggers to shoot. Then after everything is dead you can get the crystals you need for the part at 234 by killing the small eviscerator just before poo poo starts spawning.

e: I just became the 11th person in the world to get the obsidian dagger! 520 seconds is my new PB.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 7, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Bloodmobile posted:

e: I just became the 11th person in the world to get the obsidian dagger! 520 seconds is my new PB.

Congratulations, Devil Dagger.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bloodmobile posted:

The part at 234 isn't particularly difficult but clearing it ASAP is crucial to get everything cleared up before the triple eviscerators start spawning. You don't need to hoard crystals for that part either. If you don't go for the quick kill on the eviscerator you can just kill stuff, spam homing daggers you get from killing stuff and wait for the stuff you just killed with homing daggers to drop more homing daggers to shoot. Then after everything is dead you can get the crystals you need for the part at 234 by killing the small eviscerator just before poo poo starts spawning.

Congrats!

So yeah, I should be using daggers more liberally to beat that part consistently. Which makes sense, since you should have full daggers after the triple eviscerator fight anyway. Thanks.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
So I just bought this game and for some reason it keeps crashing on startup after displaying a black box for a few seconds, I already emailed support the crash log but if anyone here has any fix for my problem that would be a great help.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
How are you guys spotting the spiders? All the video I've seen has people instantly homing in on them. Do people play with the contrast all the way up?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

vorebane posted:

How are you guys spotting the spiders? All the video I've seen has people instantly homing in on them. Do people play with the contrast all the way up?

Get stereo headphones and use them. Positional sound is not really optional to thrive in this game. Every enemy makes a different sound, and the spiders in specific make a horrendously loud cl-cl-cl-clk as they spawn in. That's what we're triangulating off of.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I want gifs of all the enemies to put on my geocities website

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Ql1b3mKtU

I finally got the gold dagger

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Having trouble around the 380 mark now. 5 runs, 377, 378, 380.3, 379, 380.4. Can't get the eviscerators down quick enough.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Shoefish posted:

Having trouble around the 380 mark now. 5 runs, 377, 378, 380.3, 379, 380.4. Can't get the eviscerators down quick enough.

Make sure you have everything cleared before the 265 mark. Then you have plenty of time to position yourself for the quick kill on the first eviscerator. After you kill the first one, go near the head of the 2nd one and just stay there for a while. This will make it come towards you and burrow early. Then deal with the first set of infesters. If you successfully made the second eviscerator burrow early you can get the quick kill on it when it comes back up before more infesters spawn. After that you should be close to having maxed out homing daggers so you can ignore the additional infester spawns while you deal with the 3rd one if you feel like you're falling behind. The key is to have all the eviscerators dead by 335, then you can easily deal with all the stuff that spawns after that. If you're loving up on clearing infesters fast enough you can feel free to use some homing daggers here and there but if you want to crack 500 seconds you need to make sure you have as close to max homing daggers as you can manage until after the devastator fight.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
How do you kill the boss anyway? From what I've seen you just shoot the things at the top, but are there any other tricks? I noticed a red ring appears on the ground sometimes, does that cause any damage?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

What triggers a spider to close up/look down? Is it getting too close? Is it timed? I've watched a few different people's replays and it seems random.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

HolyKrap posted:

How do you kill the boss anyway? From what I've seen you just shoot the things at the top, but are there any other tricks? I noticed a red ring appears on the ground sometimes, does that cause any damage?

I think the red pulse signifies it spawning more stuff. The only way the devastator can directly kill you is if you walk underneath it, it will start sucking you towards it and then kill you once you get inside. I also think the amount of the things on top it still has left might affect the amount of red skulls it spawns.

The actual mechanics of the boss are essentially meaningless though. All you really need to do to beat it is clear everything by 405 and then just clear as many of the things on top of it that you can before 416. If you get a good prefire on it you can kill up to 4 of them before stuff starts spawning. Then you just fire a bunch of homing daggers underneath it at 416 and then a couple behind you to spread them around evenly and then just clear all the spawners and skulls. If you do it right you'll kill the devastator before it spawns anything beyond the initial wave.

I don't think there's any reasonable way to have a backup strat for it if you gently caress up the quick kill because you will fall so unbelievably far behind on clear that you'll never be able to catch up before the second triple eviscerator spawn which dooms your run.

Odobenidae posted:

What triggers a spider to close up/look down? Is it getting too close? Is it timed? I've watched a few different people's replays and it seems random.

I'm pretty sure it only closes it's eye when it takes damage if it doesn't receive any subsequent damage for x amount of time. I tested it with the infester at 39 once. It never closed it's eye unless I damaged it first, even after I shot at it's carapace for like 5 seconds straight.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
This game keeps taunting me to beat my records. After 5 runs of 380ish I finally beat it with 428, solidly in the top 100. But now I'm eyeing off that achievement for 500......

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm a Golden Dagger now. 251 seconds.

I feel amazing

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Is there anything that changes what way the eviscerators face when they spawn at 265? It seems like they randomly face different directions. If it faces outward I have to run around to the other side, making the quick kill a little harder

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm a Golden Dagger now. 251 seconds.

I feel amazing

Isn't the way it hums so rewarding?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

CrazyLittle posted:

Isn't the way it hums so rewarding?

Yes. It sings.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Devil Dagger's FAQ
Q: There's an invisible platform I can stand on just off the stage that falls away after about 80 seconds.
A: Yes there is.

Could there be a secret in this game?

There's also a "secretsnake" sound file in the game

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

HolyKrap posted:

Devil Dagger's FAQ
Q: There's an invisible platform I can stand on just off the stage that falls away after about 80 seconds.
A: Yes there is.

Could there be a secret in this game?

There's also a "secretsnake" sound file in the game

More stages incoming???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
This game. Man.

I picked it up on a "why the loving hell not" moment after reading the RPS post about Draqu's world record and 40 hours in I still can't put it down. His WR just got beat by 12 seconds, by the way! And I was just hearing that Draqu himself had said he's more or less given up on the game till someone beats his record. Game on!

My record as someone who historically is abominably awful at FPS games is currently sitting at 171. Still trying to get a handle on dealing with the first eviscerator without everything going to poo poo.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 21, 2016

• Locked thread