Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVRcfRVVpfQ

Here's something interesting for headphone users. You can enable HRTF since this game supports OpenAL and has the latest version of OpenAL Soft
Follow this guide to install 32bit and 64bit OpenAL Soft onto windows and enable HRTF. The dev said in the steam forums that he'll try and implement it sometime, but it's pretty easy to do yourself. This also works for all games that support OpenAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I jump so much that I don't even know when I'm not jumping. If I need speed, I'm jumping like crazy, and with so much going on at 200+ seconds I just subconsciously do it. My highscore so far is 358 seconds and I don't think I'm going to be beating it anytime soon. My wrists hurt

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Elman posted:

Got any tips for beating the first spider + snake combo? I'm at 200 seconds but it's hard making it past that cause I can't consistently beat those two.

I usually kill the spider right away and then hope the snake lines up perfectly, but more often than not it won't and I'll only get 50-75% of the damage in. Finishing it off during the next few waves makes it hard to keep things from spiraling out of control.

Going underneath it's head is what makes it burrow so avoid that. It usually spawns near the skull so while you kill the skull, the eviscerator's circling around the arena. From there you can turn around and run backwards, kiting it a bit until it's lined up and you have a good position to kill it. It's pretty hard to kill if you still have swarmers flying around though

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 28, 2016

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

397 :smuggo:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

cat doter posted:

man no matter what I do I can't get through that 200 seconds barrier reliably, I know intellectually what I'm supposed to do but every time I try I just get hosed up

what do I do??????? I'm stumped!!!

That's usually when I use the first set of homing daggers. Around 200 is when a lot of things spawn at once, but they give you time to kill everything. If you can clear it out quickly you get like a 15 second break before the 234 wave starts.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

cat doter posted:

yeah I have trouble getting enough homing daggers at that point, once all the spawners and those spider skulls start coming in all at once all I can do is jump around the very edge of the arena and hope for the best

also this bug is really starting to annoy me, on 4 separate occasions I've beaten my high score and it just fails to update

I mean look at this, this is after sitting on this screen for like a minute, nothing happens

Did you force vsync off? I remember seeing a post in the steam forums about some guy's score not updating when he had vsync off. The game detects it as a cheat or something

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

DaveKap posted:

I personally don't but depending on how a game is made, V-Sync can actually break physics and timers. I don't know if you know anything about Dark Souls but when the PC port got modded to unlock 60fps (a true V-Sync for many monitors) it caused certain physics to break which, in turn, made multiplayer possibly imbalanced. I think Fallout 3 has a similar issue which is why it is frame locked as well. There are plenty of other games that have simulation and timing wonkiness if you unlock their V-Sync.

So, the point is, this game probably relies on the 60fps V-Sync to do proper timing so nobody cheats with the online leaderboards. Thus, unlocking V-Sync (and thus allowing more frames to get rendered which, in turn, probably allows time to "pass faster" according to the simulation) is cheating.

The thing is this game's not even locked at 60. I'm playing fine at 144fps on my 144hz monitor. I'm thinking the devs were just doing everything they could to prevent cheating, any tampering with the game at all can list you as a cheater, apparently it shows up in the <username>.log file in the game's directory when it detects something's been changed. I dunno though, you'd think a game about precision would have the ability to turn off vsync cause it's well known that it causes mouse lag.
Maybe rendering above 140 fps can screw up the timer? If that's the case maybe vsync off along with an fps cap would work. I can't test it because I doubt I'll be beating my score anytime soon

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Odobenidae posted:

Is there a reason he leaves the spawners alive near the start? Is it to farm more gems by letting another big skull pop out?

That and probably to switch things up in the beginning. It barely helps with getting the second upgrade, he still got it a little after killing the first eviscerator. I'm starting to think I should leave the spawners too, I need practice surviving with a lot of skulls flying around; something I'm not getting by killing everything as soon as they spawn.

This is me dodging skulls
https://gfycat.com/ConsiderateGlassAmazonparrot

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
How do you kill the boss anyway? From what I've seen you just shoot the things at the top, but are there any other tricks? I noticed a red ring appears on the ground sometimes, does that cause any damage?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Is there anything that changes what way the eviscerators face when they spawn at 265? It seems like they randomly face different directions. If it faces outward I have to run around to the other side, making the quick kill a little harder

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Devil Dagger's FAQ
Q: There's an invisible platform I can stand on just off the stage that falls away after about 80 seconds.
A: Yes there is.

Could there be a secret in this game?

There's also a "secretsnake" sound file in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

treat posted:

I find that it helps to ignore him completely until after you've dealt with the spider, then set yourself up near his head and blast every gem off him in one go. If you get aggressive with him too early he'll go straight underground and stay there until the next wave of spawners.

e: Or maybe he'll stay above ground just as long as you steer clear of his head? I don't know. Don't listen to me. My top score is only 190.
Something like that. Going underneath them makes them burrow but it is easier to deal with the spider first so he doesn't steal any gems. If your aim's good you can take it out in like 2 seconds and then you'll have enough time to deal with the centipede. All those gems should bring you close to the last upgrade

• Locked thread