Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There's usually an uptick in scammery right around tax season, partly because people that just got their refunds are attractive marks.

Same thing happened with the COVID stimulus checks - there'd be an uptick whenever one of those was going out, for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
other than landlords(oh and gov stuff?), is there any legit place would ask you to use a check?

also weird how checks are still a scam vector, like why? shouldnt that be fixed/patched?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PhazonLink posted:

other than landlords(oh and gov stuff?), is there any legit place would ask you to use a check?

also weird how checks are still a scam vector, like why? shouldnt that be fixed/patched?

How do you "patch" checks beyond moving away from them, which we are?

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

PhazonLink posted:

Contractors, realtors, lenders any service that doesn't want to deal with credit card transaction fees. That said, most of these places offer the option of using a credit card and pass that fee onto you as an extra charge. When you're working with contractors, that extra charge can be hundreds of dollars, so checks are pretty useful there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

m0therfux0r posted:

Contractors, realtors, lenders any service that doesn't want to deal with credit card transaction fees. That said, most of these places offer the option of using a credit card and pass that fee onto you as an extra charge. When you're working with contractors, that extra charge can be hundreds of dollars, so checks are pretty useful there.

Down payments on car purchases in the US are another example. I financed through my bank and they just dumped the financed amount in my checking account and I wrote the dealer a personal check for the entire purchase price, the largest check I've written in my life so far.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I always write a check out of spite when I have to pay my income tax.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MightyJoe36 posted:

I always write a check out of spite when I have to pay my income tax.

I used to pay bills with a check and write “BLOOD MONEY” or something like that in the memo. It gave me a little chuckle or two

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Snowy posted:

I used to pay bills with a check and write “BLOOD MONEY” or something like that in the memo. It gave me a little chuckle or two

“Please buy the extra grisly cluster bombs with this one”

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Please don't do this.

Or if you do, please at least don't complain when the bank closes your account and is legally obliged to not tell you why as part of their anti terror financing obligations

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Also super fun when you go for a mortgage application, like my friend who used to settle up balances with his mates by transfer for ‘sexual favours’ and found himself with difficulties getting a mortgage.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I love it when clients do that when I have to look at their bank statements for partner visas. Really fun making them explain that the drugs & hookers transfers are just a joke between housemates or whatever (it's fun for me anyway!).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The Zelle equivalent here has digital cards you can send money with and for one person in particular I’ve sent what I call the horse girl card. Every time. I’m usually 2-4 sheets to the wind but goddamn I’ll find that loving card.

Weirdly enough it’s helped in keeping track of whether I paid him back, just find the horse girl. I’m working on associating more cards with more friends, but I just gotta find the right vibe. Him? Horse girl.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
There was a /r/personalfinance thread where the OP got his first checking account in high school and wrote million dollar checks for everyone at a party as a joke. At this point he was out of college and doing pretty well for himself. Nobody had ever tried to cash one of them but he had been nervous about it ever since. He couldn't even remember the names of most of the people he'd given them to.

I'd have to hand it to someone if they held onto their check and played the long con, waiting years for if/when guy actually had serious money.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going from a King of the Hill episode, seems like the teller would first try to sandbag lightly, but then just empty out the account? (but not actually over draft it into the one million/ thousands)

I assume today you would be overdrafted into hell/one million.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No teller at a personal banking establishment will seriously indulge a check of that size. Besides, I'm pretty sure most places will just hand the check back to you after checking the account couldn't cover it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Don't cheques expire after like 6 months?

Also if he was really worried couldn't he close the account associated with the cheques?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Don't cheques expire after like 6 months?

Also if he was really worried couldn't he close the account associated with the cheques?

From your spelling I'm going to assume you're in the UK like me - over here yes, technically they do expire but in practice the date you put on a cheque isn't actually really looked at anywhere. The bank might use it as justification for refusing to pay it but they'd also just as likely ignore it if there's funds in the account. Basically banks here don't want to deal with cheques any more (back when they phased out the cheque guarantee card they were trying to get rid of cheques entirely but got forced to keep them so old people could keep using them) so they take the path of least resistance to process them. Which in many cases is either complete automation or outsourcing the processing to the lowest bidder.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I remember a reddit thread about some HS senior who wrote what he described as "novelty cheques" to his friends for a few hundred bucks, some of whom cashed and overdrafted his account.

Wouldn't surprise me to know something similar had occurred more than once though lols.

E. Souvenir checks lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3cd6oj/im_in_highschool_and_money_was_stolen_from_my/

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

I remember a reddit thread about some HS senior who wrote what he described as "novelty cheques" to his friends for a few hundred bucks, some of whom cashed and overdrafted his account.

Wouldn't surprise me to know something similar had occurred more than once though lols.

E. Souvenir checks lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3cd6oj/im_in_highschool_and_money_was_stolen_from_my/

I might have been thinking of this post and badly misremembered the details.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

teen witch posted:

The Zelle equivalent here has digital cards you can send money with and for one person in particular I’ve sent what I call the horse girl card. Every time. I’m usually 2-4 sheets to the wind but goddamn I’ll find that loving card.

Weirdly enough it’s helped in keeping track of whether I paid him back, just find the horse girl. I’m working on associating more cards with more friends, but I just gotta find the right vibe. Him? Horse girl.

Had to find it, lmao it owns.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Horse Girl Swish Card has been going on for at least a few months now, though I’ve never sent twice in one night…yet. I’ve sent him other ones but it’s predominantly Horse Girl Swish Card.

One did have a lyric from Bob Dylan’s Hurricane as the message which answered my question “why do I have a webpage with the lyrics saved on a whole new tab window?” from a week or so back.

E: do not go drinking with me

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

teen witch posted:

Horse Girl Swish Card has been going on for at least a few months now, though I’ve never sent twice in one night…yet. I’ve sent him other ones but it’s predominantly Horse Girl Swish Card.

One did have a lyric from Bob Dylan’s Hurricane as the message which answered my question “why do I have a webpage with the lyrics saved on a whole new tab window?” from a week or so back.

E: do not go drinking with me

This reminds me of a friend who decided to send requests for 20$ to everyone on his contact list late one night. Got a cool 100 back!

I guess this is technically a con as well :v:

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

A check for a million dollars is going straight to fraud and regulatory at the issuing bank, even if the account can cover it. If it's dated years in the past the issuing bank is going to bounce it on suspicion of a washed/altered check, and would almost certainly bounce it anyway because they are not going to overdraft an account by hundreds of thousands of dollars, because they would never recover that money.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Barrel Cactaur posted:

A check for a million dollars is going straight to fraud and regulatory at the issuing bank, even if the account can cover it. If it's dated years in the past the issuing bank is going to bounce it on suspicion of a washed/altered check, and would almost certainly bounce it anyway because they are not going to overdraft an account by hundreds of thousands of dollars, because they would never recover that money.

But even before the fraud and compliance dept has a chance to take the easy decision to bounce the check and offboard you as a correct, the wealth management dept will contact you to pitch some stupid bullshit to invest in with your newfound wealth

(based on what I've seen some banks do with inflows from crypto)

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I actually had a problem with a big check going to my credit union. I liquidated some stocks to pay for a new air conditioner for my house. The account was in both my and my mother’s name. It had been that way since I was a minor, and I never removed her from it. I have sad brain problems and wanted her to have access if I ever needed emergency treatment.

I sold the stocks, and the check they mailed me was in both our names. I tried to deposit it at my credit union, and they refused. Because it was in both our names, and my mom didn’t have an account there. Could she sign it off? No. Could she open an account? Not without a processing period. Meanwhile, the installation was scheduled the next day.

Could I withdraw all the funds I had with the credit union? Sure. Did it matter that the account was in both my and my husband’s name? Not an issue, he didn’t need to be present. The amount fell short though. They’d be happy to give me a loan though. Just with $259 in ffees.

I finally just said gently caress it, and borrowed a couple grand from my father in law for a few days. Banks.They’re very very strict if it could lose them money. Not so much the other way around.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Here's a story from back in the 90s of a guy who got a fake check for $95,000 USD in his junk mail and deposited it in his bank account as a joke and the hilarity that ensued.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Playing-With-Money-How-a-95-093-35-junk-mail-2588766.php

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

It's been a while since the last time I got a spam email like this! Classic style:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I appreciate the underpinning of that spam being the sender's military unit is a gang of bandits needing to hide their loot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pentaro posted:

It's been a while since the last time I got a spam email like this! Classic style:

Let me tell you, Michael, you are doing a terrible job at keeping the peace in Israel.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SettingSun posted:

I appreciate the underpinning of that spam being the sender's military unit is a gang of bandits needing to hide their loot.

Someone saw Three Kings and was inspired.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
drat 40% of $2.5 million United States dollars... that's a big chunk of change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SettingSun posted:

If you have a problem, and nobody else can help, and if you have £300 for a lost airport locker key...