Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

we found him: the dude too smart to be fooled, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Tell me about common cons/scams: The biggest scam was getting me to read Pantaloon Pontiffs posts

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:rolleyes:

Seriously though,

Agents are GO! posted:

Oh my god shut up

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I got a text last night from "nudetv75@gmail.com" saying they want to transfer money to me. Definitely clicking this link! Cha-ching, motherfuckers :smug:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

And this is where I disagree; you're making a claim about me based on no evidence other than assertion, then claiming that I'm arrogant because I don't believe that some stranger on the internet knows me better than I know myself. How on earth would my mother having a health emergency going to lead to 'need to give a bag of cash to someone in a car, so need to empty my savings account and ignore the person at the credit union who tries to stop me'? Hospitals and doctors don't work by handing bags of cash to someone in a car - immediate life saving treatment happens at the ER and then is billed later. If I thought my mom was in a medical emergency there are a lot of things I might panic and do, but withdrawing money into a paper bag to hand to a dude in a car is not on the list.

Accusing someone of 'hubris' while claiming to know them better than they know themselves is certainly a look. Some people put their whole savings account into a paper bag and hand it to a guy in a car, but a lot of people don't, and your idea that anyone would do so if someone just said some magic words is not based on reality.

I also don't have a lawyer on speed dial, and only vaguely know how to pick out a criminal lawyer. OTOH, I absolutely would not worry at all about the cost of a lawyer if I did believe that I was the subject of a police investigation and a cop was trying to intimidate me into saying or doing something, because the cost of not getting a lawyer in that case is years in prison, probably seizure of assets, loss of income for the years in prison, and loss of income after that because of the difficulty of getting a job that requires a background check with a felony record. I've seen what happens to people who are the subject of a police investigation and believe police are trying to help them and start giving information (much less committing crimes) at the behest of police, both on the news and in person, and if you're worried about the cost of a lawyer in the situation described I think you're not performing a realistic analysis of the costs. Anyone who can't afford to hire a lawyer unless one is appointed doesn't have $10k in a savings account (like I do) or $50k like the woman in the story does, which makes them immune to this particular scam as there won't be a large sum of money to withdraw into a paper bag to hand to the scammer.

The absolute last thing that I'm going to do if I'm in a panic situation where I think the police are investigating me for something serious (in the example scam, financial fraud) is to continue the conversation with the alleged LEO in any way other than "I decline to answer any questions without a lawyer present", and I'm certainly not going to start doing things that could serve to dig me deeper like withdrawing money and making payments to someone in a car. And I certainly wouldn't keep quiet about it, I'd let everyone I know know so that if I do get arrested they at least have some idea what happened instead of me just vanishing quietly into the system for weeks or months before they figure it out.

I could fool you. I could make you do whatever I wanted you to do. Just from reading this post, I know you more intimately than you're capable of knowing yourself.

You are ripe for a scam, you are the target, you've likely been scammed and didn't even realize it. Everyone in the thread knows it too.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Those two guys are just talking past each other. One person is saying there is one specific type of scam that he would never fall for. The other is saying of all possible scams, there is at least one possible type that he could fall for. Both of them can be right.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Tagra posted:

I got a text last night from "nudetv75@gmail.com" saying they want to transfer money to me. Definitely clicking this link! Cha-ching, motherfuckers :smug:

I get a text from an email addres at least once a week. I found an Apple Tech Support Q&A page that went something like:

"Can I PLEASE turn off recieving texts from email addresses? I am being bombarded. I will never in my life expect a text from somebody I want to talk to using an email address. All my contacts will only ever use phone numbers to text me. The ONLY application for this I can think of is spam and spamming."

"Greetings! We cannot possibly allow you to block this function. It is far too important. Ticket closed. :)"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It took Apple *years* to finally admit that allowing anyone with your email to put pre-accepted events with reminders in your calendar was a bad idea. They'll fix the email-to-text spamhole some time around 2028

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 26, 2024

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
It's not like it's just an Apple thing, most cell carriers have that functionality via their own email format schemes. Verizon is <phone number>@vtext.com etc.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Tagra posted:

Its a scam.

Should have been nudetv69@gmail

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I had an email through to my personal email purporting to be from my CEO saying they needed to get in contact urgently. Nearly fell for it because I work in a small company, it's entirely possible the CEO might actually contact me directly and I was on holiday at the time. I've also been having some negative performance stuff that's recently been turned around mostly due to a management change but the company also had two high level people resign, creating some worry about whether there was an underlying problem it's facing. The icing on the cake for me buying it initially was when I went to check my work email, I got a message that my work profile had been deleted.

This was essentially a perfect storm for me to think maybe I was being fired in a really lovely way. I did answer that I was available to talk and got a response saying he wanted to send rewards for some colleagues, at which point someone else on the trip pointed out this is a classic scam. The email address was some nonsense thing but I hadn't even thought to check it. Now it's entirely possible if he'd asked me to buy Amazon cards or something I would have started to get suspicious but I can also imagine I'd have been at relieved to still have a job I'd have prioritised getting this task done to show how dedicated I was to who I thought was the CEO. Very much perfect storm conditions.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MrNemo posted:

I had an email through to my personal email purporting to be from my CEO saying they needed to get in contact urgently. Nearly fell for it because I work in a small company, it's entirely possible the CEO might actually contact me directly and I was on holiday at the time. I've also been having some negative performance stuff that's recently been turned around mostly due to a management change but the company also had two high level people resign, creating some worry about whether there was an underlying problem it's facing. The icing on the cake for me buying it initially was when I went to check my work email, I got a message that my work profile had been deleted.

This was essentially a perfect storm for me to think maybe I was being fired in a really lovely way. I did answer that I was available to talk and got a response saying he wanted to send rewards for some colleagues, at which point someone else on the trip pointed out this is a classic scam. The email address was some nonsense thing but I hadn't even thought to check it. Now it's entirely possible if he'd asked me to buy Amazon cards or something I would have started to get suspicious but I can also imagine I'd have been at relieved to still have a job I'd have prioritised getting this task done to show how dedicated I was to who I thought was the CEO. Very much perfect storm conditions.

Those ones are especially lovely because they'll usually try to get you to transfer money from a work account to another account, like tell you they need to pay a client or in this case I guess a bonus to a coworker? Still can look weird, but way more plausible than buy some gift cards or put cash in a box and give it to a stranger.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

wizard2 posted:

I get a text from an email addres at least once a week. I found an Apple Tech Support Q&A page that went something like:
Both the email and phone number are just aliases for the same Apple ID though. If there's an iMessage spam problem that's on Apple to sanely restrict throw-away Apple IDs.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New Jim Browning video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu-Y1h9rTUs

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Are green card scams still common? We've got a friend who went to visit a girl in the Philippines. We thought he might be getting romance scammed but he said it's a relative of one of his coworkers, and he came back unscathed and not drained of all funds (that we know of...). But then he dropped that she had tried to visit him but couldn't get a Visa approved, so the only way to come visit would be to be engaged to him...

:thunk:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does his coworker have any other relatives

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tagra posted:

Are green card scams still common? We've got a friend who went to visit a girl in the Philippines. We thought he might be getting romance scammed but he said it's a relative of one of his coworkers, and he came back unscathed and not drained of all funds (that we know of...). But then he dropped that she had tried to visit him but couldn't get a Visa approved, so the only way to come visit would be to be engaged to him...

:thunk:

These are forever. Frustratingly, a friend of mine who was getting married to a non US citizen had to jump through a ton of hoops to try to prove that it wasn't a scam marriage. It took them years of talking to whichever immigration agent before they finally caved and accepted that perhaps these two people could in fact genuinely love each other?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Filipinos marrying folks abroad is also something that happens quite often. Like it’s a bit of a cliche in my country. Not sure I’d call that a scam exactly, the couples I’ve seen were happy, even if their reasons for marrying were a little different.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I work in immigration law and both things are a thing. People definitely get into relationships/marry specifically to get a visa and then gently caress off into the night as soon as it's granted, and people also genuinely meet people online who they fall in love with and move countries to be together with.

Also sometimes someone moves across the world to be with a person they think is their one true love, but then realise after arriving and settling in that it's not working out, but still stay in the relationship until they get a permanent visa because breaking up would mean having to leave the country. Their partner might feel scammed but this poo poo can get complicated.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Volmarias posted:

These are forever. Frustratingly, a friend of mine who was getting married to a non US citizen had to jump through a ton of hoops to try to prove that it wasn't a scam marriage. It took them years of talking to whichever immigration agent before they finally caved and accepted that perhaps these two people could in fact genuinely love each other?

My niece had to jump through hoops to marry her wife, who is from England. I don't think it took years, though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My niece had to jump through hoops to marry her wife, who is from England. I don't think it took years, though.

Guess the skin color of my friend and their husband

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m a white dude who has a green card, and gently caress everyone who says ‘I’m ok with immigration when it’s done the right way’ because they drat well know it’s a lovely, long and expensive process even if you check their boxes, and almost impossible if you don’t.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Guess the skin color of my friend and their husband

Ah, yeah, we're all Anglo as hell.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I wouldn’t be in Sweden if it wasn’t for SA so that’s something I have to live with.

My immigration experience was easy purely because of my US citizenship. I was told when applying for Swedish citizenship that it would take up to 13 months and it took barely under 1. I’m still shocked (nana nana boo boo they can’t take away my citizenship now).

Nonetheless, Migrationsverket is a horrendous, horrible mess that has destroyed lives because it’s a day that ends in Y. We frequently get stories in the news of “6 year old kid has no ties to [country X], literally only knows Swedish, has no family in [country x] and is assimilated as much as a kid could be assimilated. We’re deporting them anyway because gently caress you”.

If you ask 5 Migrationsverket workers the same question, you’ll get 6 different answers. Which one will get you deported? Who knows! Try and follow instructions given to you? Psych, they were wrong all along, which is your fault!

And to think they’re making the rules even more difficult and obtuse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That's immigration services in every country it seems, just wild bureaucracy that's been changed so much that nobody knows what it means anymore

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, I work for US immigration as a contractor, and it's all sorts of hosed up. My go to example is the "H4 age out" problem. If an Indian comes here on the most common work visa, they can stay as long as their employer renews every 3 years or whenever they change jobs, but they can't get a green card due to a decades old law. This means that their kids can grow up in the US, but when they turn 21 they are no longer a dependent and can't stay on their parents' visa. They either have to find a way to get a visa on their own or go to India.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

We were sure a family member was getting romance scammed by a Filipino woman. They met online and he's a kinda awkward tech dude who hasn't had great luck with women in the states. After a fast and purely digital courtship he flew to the Philippines to propose to her with an expensive diamond ring. The woman already had four kids of varying ages from perhaps two men. So red flags all over the place. His siblings were desperately trying to talk some sense into him.

But that was like 10 years ago, and they're apparently still happily married back on the States. I've met her and she's a nice woman with nice kids, half of whom were already in high school when he brought them over. They had a baby together and seem to be a happy mixed family.

So yeah, love and immigration is complex... :shrug:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I met a dude on the train once who was complaining that he was struggling to convince immigration that his relationship was true love. It wasn't his fault that the 4 other women he married all abandoned him the instant they could.

Just pathologically incapable of realising he's a mark.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Inceltown posted:

I met a dude on the train once who was complaining that he was struggling to convince immigration that his relationship was true love. It wasn't his fault that the 4 other women he married all abandoned him the instant they could.

Just pathologically incapable of realising he's a mark.

You missed a golden opportunity to fleece him in some (non-romantic) way.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thesaurus posted:

You missed a golden opportunity to fleece him in some (non-romantic) way.

It was hard enough dealing with him for 90 minutes on a train ride. What ever money could be shook out of him wasn't worth the effort.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Thesaurus posted:

We were sure a family member was getting romance scammed by a Filipino woman. They met online and he's a kinda awkward tech dude who hasn't had great luck with women in the states. After a fast and purely digital courtship he flew to the Philippines to propose to her with an expensive diamond ring. The woman already had four kids of varying ages from perhaps two men. So red flags all over the place. His siblings were desperately trying to talk some sense into him.

But that was like 10 years ago, and they're apparently still happily married back on the States. I've met her and she's a nice woman with nice kids, half of whom were already in high school when he brought them over. They had a baby together and seem to be a happy mixed family.

So yeah, love and immigration is complex... :shrug:

On thing that we tend to forget is that romantic love is not the only basis for a successful marriage. Often successful marriages can be more like business partnerships where both parties are contributing to the success of the enterprise: the financial stability of the family and raising the children in a supportive environment. In such a situation the married parties may not exactly love each other in a romantic sense (or at at least not initially) but they each know what they are doing, have respect and regard for each other, and are committed to supporting each other in the marriage. There are plenty of very successful marriages out there like that.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I’m not saying it can’t work, but all I can think of reading the above is:

You have been a valuable asset to the organization over the past X years, but present circumstances leading to your diminished ability to contribute to shared objectives has left us at an impasse and we must pursue alternate partners in order to meet our future goals. Thank you, please sign here:
<<<Signs divorce papers from hospital bed>>

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Got a good one in my voice mail yesterday at work:

Transcription
"PlayStation five special edition with pulse
3-D headset is being ordered from your Walmart account for an amount of $919. 4
5 To cancel your order or to connect with one of our customer support representatives. Please press one, thank you...."

picturing this works like: WHAT DID MACKAYLYNN BUY!? *mashes 1*

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

namlosh posted:

I’m not saying it can’t work, but all I can think of reading the above is:

You have been a valuable asset to the organization over the past X years, but present circumstances leading to your diminished ability to contribute to shared objectives has left us at an impasse and we must pursue alternate partners in order to meet our future goals. Thank you, please sign here:
<<<Signs divorce papers from hospital bed>>

Sure, but is that really different from "sorry, I used to love you but now you're just not doing it for me anymore and I have found my true soul mate" 《divorce papers signed》?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
A friend messaged me today about someone who DMd her on her dog's Instagram account.

The message was basically " We'd love for your dog to be a model for our dog toy brand. We'll pay you $20 per photo, plus affiliate income. Here's a $100 coupon so you can get some free stuff from our site"

She put $98 worth of stuff in her cart, and then saw a $29 quote for shipping. That's when she asked me for my read on the situation.

In case it's not obvious yet:
This was a bog standard drop shipping site, charging $30 plus shipping for something you can get on AliExpress for $7 inc shipping. So she was basically going to pay $29 for $20 worth of merchandise, and pay for it with pictures of her dog.

The website was built around the personal story of the person running the site being woken up by her own dog, living out near the Rocky Mountains.
But the company name listed in the footer was for a UK Ltd company, operated by a male underwear model (yes seriously) in London with a Nigerian name.

He's actually a pretty smart guy: by getting people to feel like they're special and given them "free" products that they pay for through the shipping charge, he's getting free photos that he can use on the site so people can't find the same products on AliExpress with a simple reverse image search. And of course he really posts the photos to Instagram, so he has a big following and he gets some juice from the algo and more prominence in the suggestions so he can hawk more of his overpriced dog toys.

Some searching also showed that he had done the exact same thing with a cat-focused website and Instagram account. Last post a year ago, the website no longer functional, and a TON of search results for " is [cat site] a scam?"

Feels like he's following a set playbook, probably something that was sold in one of those internet marketer courses.

I'm still not sure he'd pay actual money for the photos, or that he'd pay in store credit that people would then also need to spend money to ship. But I'm not curious enough to have my friend pay them any money

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anyone who created an EYE GEE account for their dog deserves to get scammed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Putting your pets on social media is cool and good, putting your kids on social media should be a crime.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Putting your pets on social media is cool and good, putting your kids on social media should be a crime.

FTFY

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How else am I supposed to know what’s happening in the world of Jeremy Renner if not through a dedicated app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Make all social media illegal except for one network that's only cute pet videos with zero commentary.