Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zamujasa posted:

Make all social media illegal except for one network that's only cute Jeremy Renner videos with zero commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm now getting spam via Google drive notifications, which ask me for approval for a doc named Only4U.pdf, shared by a different user name every time. Google is apparently aware of the issue.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm now getting spam via Google drive notifications, which ask me for approval for a doc named Only4U.pdf, shared by a different user name every time. Google is apparently aware of the issue.

The red bull scandal is getting out of hand

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Facebook is down today. Can't login and password reset pops an error when you enter a new password. The whole thing has the feel of a phishing scam. But I talked to my sister, who is an employee, and she said they can't even log in to work. I was definitely triple checking the URL the whole time I was messing with my password stuff.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

bamhand posted:

Facebook is down today. Can't login and password reset pops an error when you enter a new password. The whole thing has the feel of a phishing scam. But I talked to my sister, who is an employee, and she said they can't even log in to work. I was definitely triple checking the URL the whole time I was messing with my password stuff.

It's been down all day now, 8+ hours?

Did someone update the DNS again?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

It's been down all day now, 8+ hours?

Did someone update the DNS again?

That last time it was BGP which is like DNS but even worse. :supaburn:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

o no my subscreption

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Shoulda re-nwed it when you had the chance.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Oh hey, it's a random number I don't recognize, let's see what's up

"Hey, it's Leah, I'm calling about your electricity bill?"

"Get hosed, Leah! :dance:" *hangs up*

Lazy rear end scammers, SMH at the lack of grind over here

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Me and all my homies hate Leah.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

You don't answer the phone if the name doesn't come up. You let it go to voicemail and google it.

Then you realise it was a courier trying to deliver you something and quickly run outside in the hopes that you haven't missed the package.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Inceltown posted:

You let it go to voicemail and google it.

When has this ever told you anything?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just changed my setting to only ring through known numbers. Feels good man.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I simply have the Google Assistant screen my calls for me, which sort of takes as much time but also removes me enough to feel amused and not annoyed as their time is also wasted.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Waste of Breath posted:

When has this ever told you anything?

It literally told me that the number I let through to voicemail the other day was the courier company trying to reach me. Which then allowed me to get my package before the courier left.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I feel like listening to the VM the courier left would have told you that also.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Congrats on getting lucky I guess. I've only ever seen it return phone lookup sites or unrelated false-positive businesses that have a similar but not identical number, found only after you click through to the website and look for contact info.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tagra posted:

o no my subscreption

I found the spammer

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I found the spammer

I dunno, that seems pretty marginal.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I got a message from ??? asking if I was still up for hiking on Saturday. I figured "Eh it's only a bit of effort" and sent a "sorry wrong person!" text back just in case. If not real i'm wasting a scammers time. win win

They messaged back and it was clear it was chatGTP or something so I started talking about snails and pockets on women's clothes and I think I broke the bot to the point where it just wasn't telling me where to send it money? Or giving me any suspicious links to click?

It's an independent business woman who loves god and I've had more productive convo's with 3 year old children.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Desert Bus posted:

I got a message from ??? asking if I was still up for hiking on Saturday. I figured "Eh it's only a bit of effort" and sent a "sorry wrong person!" text back just in case. If not real i'm wasting a scammers time. win win

They messaged back and it was clear it was chatGTP or something so I started talking about snails and pockets on women's clothes and I think I broke the bot to the point where it just wasn't telling me where to send it money? Or giving me any suspicious links to click?

It's an independent business woman who loves god and I've had more productive convo's with 3 year old children.

It's a pig butchering scam. They aren't going to send you a link now, they are going to spend the next couple weeks/months getting increasingly flirtatious while also talking more and more about the amazing profits they are making investing in crypto. They will then turn to talking about how great your life together will be if you both strike it rich, then they will send you a link.

And you've had more productive conversations with 3yos because the person you are texting is a non-native-speaker working in a sweatshop carrying on 20 similar conversations from copy/pasted scripts and google translate.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
They stopped messaging me after I told them I was going to bed. Been days and nothing more.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going from a recent John Oliver episode, messing with them might be harmful as its likely its just some sort of passport hostage whose job is to be the phone banks/call center.

tbh its either best to just ignore them completely so their criminal org managers dont give them a talk.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PhazonLink posted:

going from a recent John Oliver episode, messing with them might be harmful as its likely its just some sort of passport hostage whose job is to be the phone banks/call center.

tbh its either best to just ignore them completely so their criminal org managers dont give them a talk.

basically yeah

https://pjvogt.substack.com/p/whos-behind-these-scammy-text-messages

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here’s a gift link to a related story from the Times

Seven months inside an online scam labor camp

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...&smid=url-share

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

U.S. authorities say that a key investor in the Dongmei Zone is Wan Kuok Koi, a convicted Chinese organized crime figure also known as “Broken Tooth.” Mr. Wan could not be reached for comment.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Had a whatsapp last week about a 'job'. Business Account claiming to be from a legit recruitment place. Rang alarms immediately as they'll usually just ring, even if you've never interacted before.
Cursory look at linkedIn told me no-one of that name worked there so just blocked it. Gave the agency a heads up and they emailed back this morning saying 'yeah, it's this:'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-68110626

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Not going to link this, but you can easily find it on r/writing:

quote:

Severely Scammed regarding my books
I've written this to people way too many times but it is important that people on here especially are aware that there are some severe scams going on out there. . I was called by the editor of Simon & Schuster because they were interested in my 6 books. That was last November. I found out 3 days agoThat I have been being scammed the whole time. I thought I was talking with Rebekaha Jett who is an editor of Simon & Schuster.

The imposter claimed that she wanted to get to know me because another scamming group was trying to present my books to her but they kind of fell back and she was wondering who this Liz O'Neill with six books was. Unfortunately my pride and ego have gotten me in trouble repeatedly. I wanted to believe that she was sincere.

We carried on conversations on email and on the phone for months. She said she was rescuing my books from other scamming group I was in got in and she was needing a little money to get my books published and I was so excited that she had found my books and was rescuing them.

Well that was a scam I have so much longer of a story to tell but this is good enough to let people know, nobody is going to call you from any traditional publishing company to talk about your books.

AlsoThe latest is someone from Netflix called me and was very interested in my books and went along with the scammer from Simon & Schuster so I thought it was all real. No one from Netflix is going to call you and say they want to make your books into a movie either. All my checks went to one fellow and I was a little suspicious. His name is Jerome S. Elero.If you find it that is an address somebody wants you to be sending your check to, back out. As a perfect example of a scam this fellow must be a front line person to collect all of the scam checks or money. If anyone knows a real safe private way for us to publish our books please let us know because I am a scam magnet and some of you may be also.

A scam that only the arrogant will fall for, but it's really just the old "tech support scammers tell you you're being hacked" scam but with books.

Yes, the third largest publisher in the US, who approached you out of the blue, will definitely need you to send them a couple thousand dollars to help publish your book. And Netflix too. The time of easy credit is over, so you're going to have to advance us some cash for casting

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

All my checks went to one fellow and I was a little suspicious. His name is Jerome S. Elero

Concerning

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Too many friends of that writer have lied and told them their books are good rather than provide the painful truth that they’re barely literate, and saved them a bunch of money.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
"If anyone knows a real safe private way for us to publish our books please let us know"

My dude, loving Roosh V and the rest of the shitlords he hung around with worked out how to publish a book on the internet a decade ago, it took me two seconds of googling to find Kindle Direct Publishing as well as a bunch of guides on how to use it. This is so dumb it feels like it's somehow the start of it's own scam.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is the writing in that post representative of the writing quality in their books?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

To be fair, the publishing industry as a whole is basically a scam :v:

But yeah, if you haven't even attempted to run the gauntlet of getting your manuscripts noticed in the pile of absolute dogshit, which is now a slush pile of that is saturated with AI-written hollow drek on top of everything, Netflix isn't going to randomly contact you and offer to make a movie of your work for a fee.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm glad other people are calling out what a terrible loving writer that person is, jesus christ

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Understanding they are a scam magnet is actually more self awareness than most people in these situations have.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m gonna guess their rationale as to why they’re a scam magnet is anything but self aware, mind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Been receiving a lot of fake invoices and receipts lately for things I didn't buy and services I don't have

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Seems like these things come in waves. Been getting 5 calls a day for the last couple days. Zero calls for months before that.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I’m also getting a handful of calls a day for the last couple weeks now. Some spoof my city but most spoof my hometown which is an hour away and I haven’t lived there for over 20 years . Sometimes it shows one of the smaller towns around it. Don’t quite know what to make of that sort of specificity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Turn on the setting that silences calls from unknown numbers and sends them straight to voicemail.