Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

stringball posted:

I heard that when you answer a robo or talk to someone you get marked as a live number and I think lots will sell your number and it spreads a ton

i got a cold call from a blank number and i took it and got some DOES ANYONE IN YOUR HOME HAVE DIABETES schtick and i hung up

cue the next six months random rear end calls from random rear end numbers for diabetes, diabetes supplies, diet books, etc

most of them were cleverly disguised robocalls that i didn't realize was a robot until like 15 seconds in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

(though not mentioning the obvious money laundering bit)
It's not money laundering, they send a check that can take weeks to bounce, but bounce it will. The funds will even be made available to you by your bank (by law) but when the mail finally gets from your bank to Sixth National Bank of Bumfuck and back, your bank will retrieve the funds from your account.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Nigerian scammers continue to say that they are from Nigeria, even though that's an instant dealbreaker for most people, as a form of self-selection. I guess they send out so many emails, so they can filter out most people who won't fall for it anyway by saying they're from Nigeria and limit their responses to people who are dumb as poo poo. Well, that and the people from 419eater.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

nigga crab pollock posted:

i got a cold call from a blank number and i took it and got some DOES ANYONE IN YOUR HOME HAVE DIABETES schtick and i hung up

cue the next six months random rear end calls from random rear end numbers for diabetes, diabetes supplies, diet books, etc

most of them were cleverly disguised robocalls that i didn't realize was a robot until like 15 seconds in.

I've gotten three calls a day for the past week from a robot telling me I have...credit card problems? It doesn't ever specify. Area codes have been for Texas, Ohio, Virginia, and British Columbia. That last one was actually the first call, and I answered it out of curiosity. That was a mistake. I just want it to stop. :saddowns:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One day I was feeling extra generous and some lady came up to me in a Kroger parking lot asking for money for her infant son who had nothing to eat. I went to the ATM in the store to pull out a $20 for them. When I came back out, she was waiting for me... with her family... in their Lexus... with the infant son in the backseat, bottle already full, happily drinking away. "I promise I'll pay you back, look, you can call me on my phone to prove this is my number!" (as she holds up her new iPhone)

They did not get my $20.

I was so disgusted by that one that I've since stopped giving money to strangers completely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DizzyBum posted:

One day I was feeling extra generous and some lady came up to me in a Kroger parking lot asking for money for her infant son who had nothing to eat. I went to the ATM in the store to pull out a $20 for them. When I came back out, she was waiting for me... with her family... in their Lexus... with the infant son in the backseat, bottle already full, happily drinking away. "I promise I'll pay you back, look, you can call me on my phone to prove this is my number!" (as she holds up her new iPhone)

They did not get my $20.

I was so disgusted by that one that I've since stopped giving money to strangers completely.

I've had the "oh I just need $X to get a bus ticket to see my sick daughter" scam too. If you're going to keep working that scam in the same area, you better do a better job of remembering who already gave you money a few weeks ago, you loving lying piece of poo poo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas I gotta get myself away from this place. I said yep, what a concept, I could use some fuel myself and we could all use a little change.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

peanut posted:

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas I gotta get myself away from this place. I said yep, what a concept, I could use some fuel myself and we could all use a little change.

Another scam: not eating the eggs. You should be familiar with it.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

PT6A posted:

I've had the "oh I just need $X to get a bus ticket to see my sick daughter" scam too. If you're going to keep working that scam in the same area, you better do a better job of remembering who already gave you money a few weeks ago, you loving lying piece of poo poo.

once i realized that people like this and the kroger lady mentioned above were just drug addicts whose addiction made it so that they literally did not give a gently caress about anything besides getting their drugs for the day and not withdrawing I started looking at them as a societal problem again, more like the more obviously homeless panhandlers and i'll still give one of them a few bucks sometimes even though iknow they're lying to my fuckin face.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Panda Bear posted:

once i realized that people like this and the kroger lady mentioned above were just drug addicts whose addiction made it so that they literally did not give a gently caress about anything besides getting their drugs for the day and not withdrawing I started looking at them as a societal problem again, more like the more obviously homeless panhandlers and i'll still give one of them a few bucks sometimes even though iknow they're lying to my fuckin face.

I had one lady approach me in a supermarket and give me an absolutely fantastic tale about needing money for her nephews that she was raising because one of them was born with AIDS and she was trying to go to school and couldn't afford this machine it was almost $300 she just needed help for the machine. I would have given her money for the performance alone. The downside is that the supermarket employees saw it happen and came over to interrogate me to find out if she was panhandling so they could kick her out, I felt kinda bad about that.

Does it seem like the phone sale/scam attempts are getting more numerous? It's almost like they went to email for a while, realised that doesn't work all that well, and are now going back to phoning people.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Palisader posted:

Does it seem like the phone sale/scam attempts are getting more numerous? It's almost like they went to email for a while, realised that doesn't work all that well, and are now going back to phoning people.

I work from home and there is a definite increase in scammy calls. I also work in telecom, and can tell you that the technology has made it easier and cheaper to do these kind of scams.

The other thing I see is that companies are doing whatever they can to get around the Do Not Call laws. I've had a number of local companies call me and me being on the DNC list is just another objection to overcome. My favorite was the guy who had a script which said "well, you can't blame us if we misdialed your number' and tried to pass it off as human error, when it was clearly an autodialer that called.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I work for a rental car broker and the rental car industry is rife with scams.
We currently offer rental suppliers who are extremely crooked but successful nonetheless.
Most of the really bad stuff happens in Spain and other southern European countries, but some rental companies in the US are also routinely scamming customers for large amounts.
There are several ways to get more money out of a seemingly bargain priced prepaid booking.
The classic scam is renting out vehicles with hidden damage (under the fender or somewhere not easily spotted right away) and then charging them for the "new" damage when they return the car.
That is mostly gone now because people have gotten wise to it.
What's more popular are hidden insurance contracts or to add several insurance products to the rental agreement without telling the customer. Then having them sign on an electronic pad, where they can't see all the charges they accepted.
If they notice right away you either tell them some lie about it or cancel the insurance.
If the customer doesn't notice right away, it's almost impossible to get a refund for the insurance they clearly accepted with their signature.
Other scams are raising depot amounts to incredible sums (2000+ euros) so that most people's credit cards can't be blocked for the amount. Then the customer has to buy extra insurance to reduce the deposit, or they forfeit their prepaid booking.
There even is one major Spanish company who make 60-80% of their earnings by just straight up pressuring customers to buy extra insurance.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
In China, you can book tours for fairly reasonable rates, which include dining. The catch is that during the tour, they take you to special "government shops" where they talk about how it's only open for tourists and have special deals that locals wish they could get. You usually go to jewelry or jade shops where they may give you a demonstration of how to find "authentic" gems and of course everything in the shop is top quality. All the shop staff is quite friendly and will be all too helpful to suggest things, even if you're a male who doesn't have an interest in jewelry they'll make plenty of suggestions for your wife or girlfriend. All of the stuff is just above costume jewelry and overpriced, needless to say the reason they don't sell to locals is that they'd go out of business as it's possible to get the same or far better-quality stuff for much cheaper in the country. The tour company and guides get a kickback on the sales so it's like the razor model in which you offer the tour for low rates and make it up in commissions. Even knowing that all the stuff in those shops aren't worth buying, they do such a good job presenting everything that I almost felt compelled to buy some crap. They did get me at the tea shop though, but the samples of tea were quite good and I could justify paying the prices, although a teacup I bought with it ended up breaking after just a few months after use.

Also in the Forbidden City we were able to enter a part of the palace where locals aren't allowed to go, the private quarters of some relative of the last emperor, who is a master of calligraphy. Oh, how lucky that today he happens to be in practicing! For a tidy sum, he'll write your name or whatever in his beautiful script! Really, the way they present these things in a way that we're so fortunate to have the opportunity to buy things in itself is quite impressive.

I had a mate who was on a group where no one bought anything and the guide apparently complained to the members about it, that must have been a sight. I've also seen similar things in Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, so it's probably a common thing around the world, or at least in Asia. Also, never go with a tour company that also caters to Japanese, they have a big culture of buying souvenirs. I guess it might not be easy to research that, but I once ended up on a tour bus with a large number of Japanese and half of the drat tour was going to souvenir shops.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 12, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You all know the scam, but my experience with it. Trying to sell my Galaxy S3 so I could try that new Nokia with the fancy camera at the time. In my office I could only get service by laying the phone on the windowsill. I get an email response to my ad, phone vibrates, falls in the floor and breaks the screen. It wasn't even someone who actually wanted the phone, it was the ol nigerian scam.

The projector thing has made its way here finally. My friends parents built this beautiful new palace of a home, my friend told me they had a projector. I was sizing it up, the quality looked pretty bad and I didn't recognize the brand, looked it up and its one of those knock offs. Now his dad is someone who watches stuff about conspiracies all day and argued with me a few months ago that the technology exists for us to teleport, I forget why he said they wont let us do it though. I'm from way wayy out in the sticks as well, I'm surprised more of that dont go on out there as most people are old and uneducated and would be easy marks.
I live in the city now and I'm starting to see them on the local classifieds facebook groups. Lady selling one under the brand name "Quantum projectors" the other night for just $700, when I asked where she got it she got very defensive but started to listen to my explanation of how its bogus and that she was probably scammed, I didn't initially suggest she was trying to scam, just thought she didn't know the difference. Someone else commented and agreed it was bogus and she removed the ad. She said she had it over a year but never used it, too bad I said she should have asked for her money back if it weren't too late. Said she bought it from ebay. She asked me what they were actually worth, I said I wouldn't take a chance on it at all personally to which she replied "better to get some money back than none". Reposted again today at $800 with the super high quality Quantum projector screen thrown in too.

I lived in Calgary for a bit in 2007, being 19 at the time. I'm kinda blurry on this whole event but leaving a 7/11 (can you believe it) in my dirty construction work clothes this guy outside gives me a sob story and asks could I give him a ride, fine he didn't need to go far. I forget exactly how it went, but he asked for like $20 or $40 when we got to the first place and then when we got to the next stop he would give me the money back. We then went and met these bunch of...lets say...urban looking gentlemen, one of which leaned in the window and asked if I wanted to buy any weed, in retrospect I should be glad I guess that he kindly accepted the refusal and they all didn't rob/kill me, probably because I was rotten and driving a lovely old dirty Mazda 323 and did not exude wealth. I dont remember how the guy ended up leaving but he took my number and said he would call me back later when he had the money, and he did call and ask to meet back at the 7/11. But as you can tell by me being here today to make this post I took the loss and didn't go. I remember him saying on the phone "bet you thought you weren't gonna get your money back".
A whole bunch of us worked for this company which had projects going on all over the city and we were all spread out everywhere, and we lived at different ends of town so we would carpool and meet up in the middle and switch cars. My uncle got sick one morning so he got out where we would meet and said he would call a cab to go home. The gas station wouldn't change his bills to get change for the payphone, so he walked. Outside that same 7/11 at I guess probably 6 in the morning a bunch of thugs confronted him, one approached and demanded his wallet. When he didn't give in, the guy reached for his lunchbox, my uncle pulled back. The guy tugged again, this time he let it go and then kicked him in the nuts. Remember, construction. Steel nose boots. He quickly collected his lunchbox and took off running, got into a back alley and crawled underneath someones shed until they gave up the search. Fun times.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I would give you five and/or a smoke for that

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

codo27 posted:

We then went and met these bunch of...lets say...urban looking gentlemen, one of which leaned in the window and asked if I wanted to buy any weed, in retrospect I should be glad I guess that he kindly accepted the refusal and they all didn't rob/kill me, probably because I was rotten and driving a lovely old dirty Mazda 323 and did not exude wealth

Please describe what you mean by 'urban'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Slime posted:

Please describe what you mean by 'urban'.

He means black.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

codo27 posted:

Outside that same 7/11 at I guess probably 6 in the morning a bunch of thugs confronted him, one approached and demanded his wallet. When he didn't give in, the guy reached for his lunchbox, my uncle pulled back. The guy tugged again, this time he let it go and then kicked him in the nuts.

Please describe what you mean by 'thugs'.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Please describe what you mean by "weed"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr.Caligari posted:

Please describe what you mean by 'thugs'.

feedmegin posted:

He means black.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Not exactly a scam, but pretty dishonest, I've been seeing lots of these android based Kodi boxes showing up lately. I was at a big home and garden show last month and there were three different companies selling these things. They advertise how you can get thousands of movies and tv shows with no monthly fees ever, but obviously, there's no mention that the sources are completely illegal. A friend of mine bought one recently telling me how she cut her cable and Netflix because afte paying $300 to buy the box, everything's free and it's obviously not illegal like those horrible torrent sitez because she bought it from a store!

I knew how they just accessed Kodi, but I was legitimatly curious as to who pays the bandwidth to supply these obviously illegal streams, so I asked the sales guy at this home show.

"Why, by selling these boxes, of course!"

"That doesn't make any sense. You don't have to pay a royalty or anything to make these things, both Kodi and Android OS are free. You're not trying to tell me that you provide some of the streams yourself are you?"

He just gave me an annoyed look and walked away.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

MettleRamiel posted:

Not exactly a scam, but pretty dishonest, I've been seeing lots of these android based Kodi boxes showing up lately. I was at a big home and garden show last month and there were three different companies selling these things. They advertise how you can get thousands of movies and tv shows with no monthly fees ever, but obviously, there's no mention that the sources are completely illegal. A friend of mine bought one recently telling me how she cut her cable and Netflix because afte paying $300 to buy the box, everything's free and it's obviously not illegal like those horrible torrent sitez because she bought it from a store!

I knew how they just accessed Kodi, but I was legitimatly curious as to who pays the bandwidth to supply these obviously illegal streams, so I asked the sales guy at this home show.

"Why, by selling these boxes, of course!"

"That doesn't make any sense. You don't have to pay a royalty or anything to make these things, both Kodi and Android OS are free. You're not trying to tell me that you provide some of the streams yourself are you?"

He just gave me an annoyed look and walked away.

These are slowly replacing what the people who do amway and sell better electricity bills sell them try to get you to sell

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Many years ago, I was a manager for Geek Squad at Best Buy. Customers would try a wide variety of scams all the time.

If you remember, Best Buy used to always offer insurance plans on everything under the sun. They weren't necessarily terrible plans, probably just overpriced, like most insurance. One of the policies was that if you had to have your machine sent off for service more than 3 times, we'd just give you a new one.

Several customers tried to take advantage of this by purposely breaking their equipment. You'd see them come week after week with one issue after another. Most were sneaky enough about it that you couldn't catch them, but we did have one guy remove the heat sink on the processor, wipe off all the thermal paste, and then put it all back together. This will pretty much immediately make your processor overheat and get destroyed. However, it's also fairly obvious, and the repair shop caught this and voided his warranty.

We also helped verify some of the returns. A pretty common scam was to buy something like a video card or a hard drive, swap out the contents of the box with a cheaper or broken item, and then return it. We'd also see people buy whole computers and swap out components, like sticks of RAM and hard drives. In theory, the customer service folks were supposed to run items like that by the technicians for verification, but the customer service folks weren't really paid enough to care.

Another common thing was to see someone buy a big ticket item, return it the next day, and buy it a week later when it was 10% cheaper as an open box item.

When Best Buy got rid of basically all of the restocking fees, we started seeing people "rent" items all the time, e.g. buy a computer, use it for 29 days, return it, buy a new one the next day, repeat. We had a history on returns (tracked through your credit card, rewards card, and/or phone number), but there wasn't really any policy on when to refuse returns, so we'd just have to smile and let them keep on doing what they were doing.

One thing I learned while working in retail was that if you're polite, keep complaining, and always ask for a manager (or the manager's manager, and so on), it's pretty easy to get anything you want. If you keep escalating things, eventually you'll get high enough where it's not worth the manager's time to deal with your poo poo, so they'll just believe what you're saying and give you whatever want for free or heavily discounted or lots of free gift cards. If you start yelling and swearing, we can kick you out, but if you just keep asking for managers, typically folks will just roll over, and you can lie to their face and they won't really fact check anything your saying.

I had one customer tell me to my face that he was going to get a manager to give him a free computer even though he knew he shouldn't get one. I even told my manager about this, but once the store manager spent 15 minutes with the guy, he just caved because he didn't want to deal with it.

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 15, 2016

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Imaduck posted:

One thing I learned while working in retail was that if you're polite, keep complaining, and always ask for a manager (or the manager's manager, and so on), it's pretty easy to get anything you want. If you keep escalating things, eventually you'll get high enough where it's not worth the manager's time to deal with your poo poo, so they'll just believe what you're saying and give you whatever want for free or heavily discounted or lots of free gift cards. If you start yelling and swearing, we can kick you out, but if you just keep asking for managers, typically folks will just roll over, and you can lie to their face and they won't really fact check anything your saying.

I had one customer tell me to my face that he was going to get a manager to give him a free computer even though he knew he shouldn't get one. I even told my manager about this, but once the store manager spent 15 minutes with the guy, he just caved because he didn't want to deal with it.

I just finished up 8 years in retail management (finally escaped, yay!) and I can confirm this to be true. I was one of 4 managers in a store and basically if a customer makes a big enough stink, or if we feel they will make a complaint or if they threaten to, we would pretty much just give them what they want. A complaint against a store was viewed as a Very big deal and counts against the store numbers and even if we were 100% in the right and the customer was being irrational, upper management would still come down on us later because we should have done more to avoid the complaint. Basically they were more concerned about the store's numbers and how it reflects upper management than they were about us fighting the good fight. It usually wasn't worth it to fight.

And in my store customers could still yell and swear. I once checked with my boss to be certain and if we felt that they posed a safety risk to the people in the store is the ONLY time we could tell a customer to leave the store.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
For what it's worth, I spent a few years as an Epson sales rep. About 25% of my job was driving around town replacing stolen projectors. The thing is that those display projectors were made up of about $3 worth of plastic. There were no actual electronics in those projectors. It didn't stop people from stealing them, and then trying to return them or pawn them.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Imaduck posted:

Man, this makes me miss my old boss. Anytime a customer flipped his/her poo poo and demanded to see the manager, he'd come out of his office and shout at them to go gently caress themselves for wasting his time. :unsmith:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
In my starving college student days, I did a lot of call center work because I was already sick of fast food. I actually worked for one of the previously-mentioned "You won two tickets to Disney World! Just come down and listen to a time-share pitch!" places for less than a week.

- They were all inbound calls that came from banner ads.
- I think I got about $50, despite not making a single sale. That was the "showed up for work" bonus, the majority of the pay was for actually selling.
- A "sale", from start to finish: the victim (I was desperate and didn't think of them like that until it was over) would see a banner ad online, call the phone number, and before the call ended, have given their CC and be charged a few hundred bucks.
- They had a "closer" guy who would wander around and suddenly take the phone from you if it sounded like you were going to cave or weren't making progress.
- The closer guy would bang a gong at the front of the room after a sale.

There's plenty of things I'm not proud of from my late teens / early 20's, and that was one of them. At least I got out quickly.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

Man, this makes me miss my old boss. Anytime a customer flipped his/her poo poo and demanded to see the manager, he'd come out of his office and shout at them to go gently caress themselves for wasting his time. :unsmith:

This reminds me of my old boss, Eddie, from when I worked at a pizza place. People would phone and try to order pizzas with ingredients not common in Canada (anchovies), and if we didn't have them they would try to get free pizza (this was a weekly thing for a popular radio host, who would try every couple weeks).

One conversation with the radio host went

Me: "Oh sorry sir, we don't have that available."

Him: "Wellll son, maybe you should. I'm not happy, I think I should get it for free"

Me: "Hmm, I'll check with my manager!"

Eddie: "TELL THAT gently caress I'M NOT GIVING HIM A FREE PIZZA gently caress HIM!

Me: "Sorry, he said we can't do that :("

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the first robocall i ever got on my cell phone was for a "free cruise". it was also one of those robocalls that was intelligent enough to wait for the beep on your voicemail, so every month or so i'd get another call from the same number and i'd hit play and hear the same *hoooooonk* of a big ship's airhorn. i kinda miss it. i hope that airhorn is still doing ok :ohdear:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the first robocall i ever got on my cell phone was for a "free cruise". it was also one of those robocalls that was intelligent enough to wait for the beep on your voicemail, so every month or so i'd get another call from the same number and i'd hit play and hear the same *hoooooonk* of a big ship's airhorn. i kinda miss it. i hope that airhorn is still doing ok :ohdear:

The calls I get say "gift vacation." It sounds really awkward, and I assume there's some goofball legal reasoning to make it harder to stick them with some particular charge.

The horn might make me toss my phone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING!"

No, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you, robocalling assholes! I was getting one or two a day at one point.

Who actually falls for that poo poo anyway?

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

PT6A posted:

"THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING!"

No, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you, robocalling assholes! I was getting one or two a day at one point.

Who actually falls for that poo poo anyway?

I imagine it's roughly the same percentage of people who believe in fairies.

Seriously though, while I'm sure those scams have a high success rate with seniors, there's a surprisingly high number of people who seem relatively intelligent but just have this soft spot where they want to believe. Look at the people who get hit by Amway. I worked tech support for a company called ACN that did the same sort of thing except with services (like heating/water/phone/mobile) and so many of their customers just wanted to believe that they were paying way less for comparable service and noooo they weren't scamming their friends and family by convincing them to sign up too, they were helping!

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
The free cruise robocalls around 2010 or so? They hit everywhere, hard, and I remember the ringleaders being led away in handcuffs on the news. It was the first big enforcement of the do not call list.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Heres one. I cant remember exaclty how this worked, and I don't think I was ever told the full story, so some of the details may be wrong.

If you don't pay the mortgage on your house, it goes up for auction. Normally some of the mortgage is paid, so the balance of the mortgage is less than the house is worth. It'll get listed in some local paper along with the reason why.

So here's the con: Conman trawls the papers looking for these kinds of auctions. They go knocking on doors, looking for panicked homeowers, and offer this deal, "Sign the mortgage over to me and I'll pay off the amount owed, and at the same time we'll sign a one year rental agreement. At the end of the year you can buy the property back from me for just what I paid for it, the balance owed. You get to keep your house, and I get one year of rent."

Then, at the and of the year, when the rental contract is up, conman kicks the former owner out. Conman walks away with an entire house for less than what it's worth.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

lifg posted:

Heres one. I cant remember exaclty how this worked, and I don't think I was ever told the full story, so some of the details may be wrong.

If you don't pay the mortgage on your house, it goes up for auction. Normally some of the mortgage is paid, so the balance of the mortgage is less than the house is worth. It'll get listed in some local paper along with the reason why.

So here's the con: Conman trawls the papers looking for these kinds of auctions. They go knocking on doors, looking for panicked homeowers, and offer this deal, "Sign the mortgage over to me and I'll pay off the amount owed, and at the same time we'll sign a one year rental agreement. At the end of the year you can buy the property back from me for just what I paid for it, the balance owed. You get to keep your house, and I get one year of rent."

Then, at the and of the year, when the rental contract is up, conman kicks the former owner out. Conman walks away with an entire house for less than what it's worth.

Who wouldn't get something like that in writing? Desperate people, I guess.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I knew a guy (real dirt bag) that imported crates of cheap garbage from China and walked around selling it. No real scam, just selling crap to unemployed people during the day at bars and strip clubs. He actually pulled a decent profit most of the time as units would come in costing him pennies and he'd flip em for a few bucks. When he could stay out of jail long enough he was pulling a decent income and not giving any to the tax man (which conveniently allowed him to avoid his various child support payments). Anyway, he's back inside now (hopefully long term) and isn't hawking crap to people who don't know what the Internet is.

A friend if mine who is rather intelligent and also a goon got taken for the cruise robocall once years ago (around 2010 iirc). Free cruise and all that just pay for the flight! And a small administration fee! And like 500 each in taxes! Can't recall the details exactly but apparently after they charged his cc when he got home he disputes the charge. When they threatened him he got a relative of him that was a lawyer in Florida to call them up and launch their own threats. In the end he got away with only paying a couple hundred bucks and a nasty sun burn on the backs of his legs (he doesn't do sunlight too well, as indicated above).

Always nice when someone can scam the scammers.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You can always just start a cancer charity, spin it off into four branches, fill it with family members, raise more than $180 million over four years and then spend 97% of the money on salaries and personal expenses: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/19/us/scam-charity-investigation/ In what the FTC is calling an "historic decision", these people will pay the huge penalty of having their businesses shut down and they'll have to do a lot of paperwork and the government could maybe, in the end, collect about a million in fine money out of them.

There are small-time sympathy-scammers as well, who create fake online identities and exploit the trust and generosity of other people living with or supporting people with various diseases: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/18/cancer-cons-phoney-accidents-fake-deaths-internet-hoax-buster-taryn-wright

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

You can always just start a cancer charity, spin it off into four branches, fill it with family members, raise more than $180 million over four years and then spend 97% of the money on salaries and personal expenses: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/19/us/scam-charity-investigation/ In what the FTC is calling an "historic decision", these people will pay the huge penalty of having their businesses shut down and they'll have to do a lot of paperwork and the government could maybe, in the end, collect about a million in fine money out of them.

There are small-time sympathy-scammers as well, who create fake online identities and exploit the trust and generosity of other people living with or supporting people with various diseases: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/18/cancer-cons-phoney-accidents-fake-deaths-internet-hoax-buster-taryn-wright

Even a lot of the "legit" charities end up paying their CEOs a ton and/or spending a ton on administration. Komen for the Cure is a great example.

Our outsourcing of government responsibilities to the private sector has gone about as well as expected.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

On the flip side of this, my partner works for a charity, and earns a decent amount - because otherwise she'd take her skills elsewhere. You want good high-level employees so your charity will be successful? You've got to have a competitive salary. I knows there's loads of dodgy salaries in charity land, but sometimes (not all the time), they're needed to pull in talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

de la peche posted:

On the flip side of this, my partner works for a charity, and earns a decent amount - because otherwise she'd take her skills elsewhere. You want good high-level employees so your charity will be successful? You've got to have a competitive salary. I knows there's loads of dodgy salaries in charity land, but sometimes (not all the time), they're needed to pull in talent.

If they're spending 97% on salaries and personal expenses, they aren't running the charity well because they're not doing enough to take in more money, ergo they cannot justify so large a salary.

I do agree, though, that people should be more aware that charities have a right and even an obligation to pay their employees properly.