Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One day I was feeling extra generous and some lady came up to me in a Kroger parking lot asking for money for her infant son who had nothing to eat. I went to the ATM in the store to pull out a $20 for them. When I came back out, she was waiting for me... with her family... in their Lexus... with the infant son in the backseat, bottle already full, happily drinking away. "I promise I'll pay you back, look, you can call me on my phone to prove this is my number!" (as she holds up her new iPhone)

They did not get my $20.

I was so disgusted by that one that I've since stopped giving money to strangers completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

USB sticks? Pshh, I found a Toshiba laptop hard drive in the street a couple years ago.

I really should see what's on it, if it's even working.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My friend got an email yesterday and was really worried because she told me there was "personal information" in it. Turned out to be a scam attempt where some lady was saying the police were asking her for information on her whereabouts; the scammer copied in her address from 5 years ago to try to make it look convincing. There was a Word doc attachment of some kind. I told her to report it as spam and delete it immediately, and under no circumstances should she do anything else like reply to it and definitely do not open the attachment.

I had to convince her that addresses like that are not really private information; anyone can search for addresses online or get them from public records like courts and such, and cross-reference with email addresses (or just get lucky with guessing things like lastname-firstinitial@gmail.com). Luckily there wasn't any other info in the email or she might have been tempted to respond to it immediately.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Anyway, scams. I ran into a few when I visited Hong Kong, but at least I only really fell for one.

I was down at the waterfront and an Indian dude started talking to me. Seemed legit at first, but then he did a routing about being a yogi and giving him money for luck. I gave him $10HKD (~$1USD) so he would shut up, but he kept pressuring me so I walked away. I also went across the border to Shenzhen and while I was there bought a MicroSD card from a dude on the street, but it didn't work. Looked real legit though. Only cost about $10 so I wasn't too miffed.

Worst was when I went to Wan Chai with a dude I met at the hostel I was staying at. We were walking past a bar and some girls literally dragged us inside. They really wanted us to spend money on a strip show or to gently caress them, but all we did was buy them a drink. Sounds fine, until they gave us the bill when we left. Our drinks were about $40HKD each, but theirs were $400HKD each. That pissed us off, but we thought it would be a good idea to pay in case there were some dudes out the back that would gently caress us up if we bailed. Honestly, it could have been much worse but we really shouldn't have stayed in the first place.

I also remember a ton of Indian or Arab guys offering me drugs, and people collecting donations for some disaster in the Philippines. I have no idea if they were legit or not, but I wasn't interested in finding out. There's also all the markets with tons of knockoff merchandise, but I'm not sure I'd consider that a scam because of how open they are.

:stare: Yeah, uhh, sounds like you fell for more than one there.

I feel it's a general rule that if someone is physically forcing you into something then you probably shouldn't stay there. I'm sure you realized that in hindsight, though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Midjack posted:

Posted in the BWM thread but belongs here too.

Ouch. He spent $1400 on a life lesson, but I couldn't believe he kept falling for it even after seeing the car and everyone/everything in it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just got a text from Wells-Fargo telling me my debit card has been locked.

I have never set foot in a Wells Fargo in my life. I assume they're just robo-texting hoping they'll catch some sucker.

Yep, the second you respond to them with anything, they've got your number pegged as a live one and you're going to get more spam. And anything offered in the text is almost guaranteed to be a scam.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I bought a coupon book a few years ago from a pre-med student going door-to-door doing fundraising. I thumbed through it and saw enough places we'd normally visit that it was worth the $20 or so we spent.

gaj70 posted:

That doesn't make any sense. The word "become" implies a change in state

And the dictionaries agree:

become verb
be·​come | \bi-ˈkəm,
bē-\
became\ bi-​ˈkām ,
bē-​ \; become; becoming
Definition of become

intransitive verb

1a : to come into existence

b : to come to be become sick They both became teachers.

2 : to undergo change or development The pain was becoming more intense.

I have become uninterested in your posting.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Saw a post on r/bestoflegaladvice today and thought of this thread. Here's the original post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/a027o7/i_cashed_a_fraudulent_check_and_now_the_bank_is/

quote:

I was selling an item($800) on Craigslist and a buyer wanted to pay via check. He sent me a check in the mail but it was for much more than what the item was worth($3,000). He said it was a mistake that his assistant made and to wire me back $2000 and keep an extra $200 for my trouble and he would send a shipping company to come pick up my item.

I cashed the check via mobile deposit so a teller didn't get to actually hold the check or anything but it cleared my bank in one business day and I wired him $2,000. He said he would be sending a shipping company out within the next couple days. I hadn't heard from him in a week so I thought the shipping company messed up, whatever. Then I get a call from my bank saying the check deposited bounced and they took the whole $3,000 back!

They informed me I got scammed via a check scam and there was nothing they could do. They said I'm responsible for paying them back when all I did was cash a check! How is it my fault that the bank cleared the entire amount of a $3,000 check without even verifying the funds?! This is insane!

Is there any recourse here?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yep, the wire check fraud is an old one at this point. It's one of the most common Craigslist scams, so much so that it's on their page reviewing how to avoid common scams.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Walmart tried to do the same thing when I worked there. Literally nobody took the card. They kept trying to push it and were dropping hints that traditional paychecks and direct deposit were going to go away but everybody's response was basically "get hosed."

Wow, what was Walmart's response to that? I feel like they're the kind of company that would just fire everyone and replace them in a week.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I pretty much always have my phone on vibrate unless I really need to know when someone's calling me or I'm on-call overnight.

Piell posted:

Just block all non contact numbers, that's what I do. If it's an actual person who wants to reach me they can leave a message.

Can you actually do this to unknown/new numbers on Android? I know on 8.0 you can send all of a contact's calls to Voicemail.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

bamhand posted:

Not sure if it's limited to bikes or if that's just shows up for me due to my interests but every couple weeks Facebook will have ads for $5000 bikes being sold for $75. A bunch of different manufacturers with pictures and info ripped off the MFG website. Anyone else see these for other products? Like buy a new Tesla for $200! We will sell you this new house in Manhattan for $5000. The prices are laughably unbelievable. Also why not just sell things at a believable discount and just not deliver the product. It would at least be harder to tell that it's a scam in that case.

First thing this makes me think of is penny auction sites.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MSG is literally a "savory salt". Honestly, it's about as bad for you as regular table salt.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The biggest problem with chip readers for me is that everywhere nearby seems to use a lovely reader. The slot is at a downward angle and holds the card loosely, so the card inevitably slides a few millimeters out of the reader and CARD READ ERROR, PLEASE RE-INSERT CARD

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:yikes:

So uh, here's one. My wife got some weird spam calendar invite. Turns out people can just send you an email with a bogus calendar invite, and if you have the option enabled to automatically add Gmail invites to your calendar (it's on by default), you'll see whatever message they added. It's a simple measure to disable that feature, but man, what a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh hey, I missed printer ink chat? Well, allow me to share this great video from last year. The markup on printer ink is absolutely bonkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ

Seriously, either buy a laser printer, or do your printing outside the home (office, library, Staples, etc).