Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Got a call on the work phone from an robocaller with an Australian accent- "You have won a free ticket to Lotto Powerball to go into the prize draw of $15,000. Please press 1 to claim your prize".

I was disappointed. A free ticket to a $15000 prize draw? I was SO tempted to press 1 but feared my phone would blow up, a drone strike would come in or I'd be transported to an alternate universe where Donald Trump was US President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I filed a complaint with the BBB, not that it will do any good.

From my understanding, the Better Business Bureau is a scam itself? As in you pay money to them for a good grade.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Man came to our house this week and asked to see XXXXX to get details on a car accident done a few years ago.

XXXXX has not lived at the house for 6+ years. We had no contact details to give, so he left. Is this an isurance scam of some sort?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Collateral Damage posted:

I got a call from my bank a few years ago where they said they had discovered skimming gear at some store, and they were preemptively locking the cards of everyone who had recently used their card there, and a new card would arrive in a few days.

Does anything ever happen to the business that's doing that? Do they lose their access to cards or do just blame it on the minimum wage worker?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Car jackers in Melbourne are ramming the back of random people, then hijacking the 2nd car. Now they have 2, slightly damaged cars.

What's the 2nd car being used for?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Don Gato posted:

Chop shops? That's basically my guess for all car related scams.

The car was found after someone edited the plates and crashed it.

Dosn't seem a very profitable operation.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Some of my relatives in Sydney this week got hit with a roofing scam. 4 guys with strong English accents (who strongly denied they were English) come up and say they see a bad roof tile and they can have a look and fix it. The go up and magically the tile is now broken and oh look here is some rotten wood we found if you let us have a look we can find all the tiles and fix them.

They then throw tiles off the roof (breaking them) and demand money to fix the broken tiles. They were very good at this and have a lot of practice, I suspect it's the same gang of guys who were doing it in NSW in 2015. They also got into the house and stole some money too. They've had a lot of practice at this and sound very very good at their job.

I have a dream that you'd get them all on the roof and then kick the ladder away, but I fear they'll get angry instead and take out their frustrations on the tiles anyway and escape before the Police can show up.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

peanut posted:

My dad contacted me about this, asking for etiquette advice on how to respond to a Japanese company. It looks like a repackaging scam. The company website has weird typos, no Japanese language pages, incomplete/fake office addresses and home numbers. I hope he listens to me and doesn't trust these guys. :(

It's a standard scam. They ask for details and either use it for fraud in his name, or ask for a small payment to cover legal fees...which never stop and get bigger and end up luring him to the country and ransom for more money.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This sounds like a nightmare. And it's going to be US law.

quote:

You’re served with a notice. Apparently you’d shared some photos you didn’t own on the internet a while ago, and now someone–possibly an artist, possibly a copyright troll–can file for damages of up to $30,000. Scam, you think, and toss the paper. You’re served with a second paper 30 days later, but you toss that too.

Unfortunately for you, those copyright infringement proceedings were real, and you’d had 60 days to “opt-out” of them and go on about your day. But you didn’t opt-out, so you’ve automatically opted-in and waived your right to a trial by jury. Now a government entity unbeknownst to you–something called the Copyright Claims Board–has determined, without judge or jury, that you owe this person $30,000.

Now you have 90 days to file an appeal with a judge in federal district court, but the law behind this makes it extremely unlikely that the judge will rule in your favor, and anyway, you’ll probably need to hire an attorney. You’re on the hook.

This is a scenario, at least, which critics of the Copyright Alternative in Small-Claims Enforcement Act of 2019 (CASE Act) foresee. The bill passed the House last night and next moves to the Senate.

Scams to hit EVERYONE!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So this morning at 3am I got a message from my bank saying my credit card has been hacked. Someone calling themselves the Western Wyoming Urology Society tried to do a $0 test and now my card is cancelled for 2 weeks until I get posted a new one.

I had no idea someone could do a credit card transaction with just the number and expiry date. All the websites and Chips on the card needing the name and CVC number don't matter and isn't needed.

what.

The bank has no interest or time in investigating HOW they got it, where or when they got it. I haven't used the physical card for years now, just online and via apple ipay so presumably someone got hacked recently online.

In other news, every company in the world running Microsoft Exchange Server just got hacked?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Midjack posted:

Coffezilla is pretty legitimate reporting on scams, even if the syntax is irritating the semantic content is on target.

His latest one involves half a billion scam and the Canadian feds investigation got closed twice because they got bambozzeled by a chronic liar.

Special Guest star this episode: the actual wolf of Wall Street who was in on the scam and also not caught.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Someone's finally made a B grade movie about what we all wish we could do to scammers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzINZZ6iqxY

I can't ever imagine one of the Avenger's or Justice League ever doing something like that huh.

I note the FBI's agent helmets are as effective as Stormtrooper armour is to Ewok stone axes and sling shots.

Is honey flammable? Sounds like a question for the OSHA thread.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 5, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
An old job at $megacorp had a report phishing button. It would auto remove the email from your mailbox and send it to cybersecurity.

If it was fake (or I presume, a test), no reply.

A week later I would sometimes get an email back saying the email was legitimate. With no way to get the original email back, read or reply to it.

Which was a great way for my boss or HR to then ask me why I hadn't done whatever the email was about.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Volmarias posted:

Ok, but isn't that what DKIM etc are supposed to solve?

Many many places don't use it or SPF.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Zero One posted:

Anyway she sent us the picture he sent her. It was some weird AI generated image of a passport. Fonts not quite right. Numbers didn't match up. It even listed the guy as both a male and female in different places. But the best part was the photo. It hadn't been adjusted to appear like it was attached to the passport (which was slightly angled like resting on a table). It was just a headshot of a guy copy pasted over the passport.

Have you ever played Papers Please? Because it sounds like you're the right person to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

bamhand posted:

Facebook is down today. Can't login and password reset pops an error when you enter a new password. The whole thing has the feel of a phishing scam. But I talked to my sister, who is an employee, and she said they can't even log in to work. I was definitely triple checking the URL the whole time I was messing with my password stuff.

It's been down all day now, 8+ hours?

Did someone update the DNS again?