Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a similar system in Sweden, where each household owning a TV has to pay a yearly fee to finance public service broadcast.

They stopped using detector vans because unlike CRTs, LCDs don't leak RF noise that can be easily detected. It used to be you could get a guy come knocking and asking if you have a TV (and trying to peep into your house to see if they could see one) but nowadays they just send passive aggressive letters. I've never heard of anyone trying to turn it into a scam though.

The public service corporation tried to bend the interpretation of the law a few years ago to include computers and smartphones as well, by arguing that since you can watch public service TV on the web, any device capable of accessing the web should be licensed. Unfortunately for them the law says "...any device intended to receive broadcast..." and they failed to argue that the intended function of a computer is to receive broadcast TV.

I actually got visited by a TV licence inspector in 2015!

I live in Stockholm, Sweden. Hadn't owned a regular TV set for years, and stopped paying the license since you don't need one for computers or smartphones.

You don't have to let them in or answer any questions, so I just told him that I didn't have a TV and he went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Google something like "[MLM name] scam" and all the top hits are YouTube videos of some poor loser going "Is AmeriHerb a scam? Noo! I'm on my way to being a brazillionaire! Just sign up with me and you will be one too!"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Lisa needs an auditing!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

NPR’s Planet Money had an episode a while ago about someone who had tried to start a company that sold cars with real non-barganing price tags, like any other store. He was met with massive pushback and lawsuits from the auto sales industry until he gave up.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/03/14/290241292/episode-435-why-buying-a-car-is-so-awful

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Increase the price to $5,000 and throw in a picture of a spaceship and I'm on board.

Lowtax still not coming through on his promise :argh:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Its 2008 all over again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f9oJikx0-I

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

bamhand posted:

I keep getting calls about medical grade braces. Is that such a large demographic that it's worth robo calling over?

As soon as you hang up you get another robocall about a dental plan.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I think there was a thread here a loong time ago by someone who was involved in that cult/scam org that drives teenagers around in vans and make them go door-to-door selling books.

Sounds familiar to anyone?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

I got your back: My Girlfriend Has Joined A Money Cult

Part of the OP, in case you don't have archives (sorry for the wall of text) :

Wow, that thread was from June 2007, and I regged in May that year. Has got to be one of the first threads I followed :shobon:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

Cryonics

There's a great segment on an old episode of This American Life about the early days of Cryongenics and what a disaster it was. It involved cryogenic containers opened up like sardine cans, accidental thawing, and running out of money and liquid nitrogen.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/354/mistakes-were-made/act-one-7

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

FMguru posted:

common Traveler (Irish g-word

nope, that's a racist slur

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"To the animus and the anima we must now add the anime, which stands for the blood..."

True, anime is blood.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

An administrator at Solna City, close to Stockholm in Sweden has over a few years transferred over 4 M SEK (~380K USD) from city funds to a scammer.

She believed all the time that she was talking to Mick Jagger from the Rolling Stones and that they would get married and be together forever :allears:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Here's a story about how a financial columnist was scammed by a fake FBI agent into putting 50k in a shoebox and giving it to some guy in a SUV outside her house.

https://www.thecut.com/article/amazon-scam-call-ftc-arrest-warrants.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

teen witch posted:

The Zelle equivalent here has digital cards you can send money with and for one person in particular I’ve sent what I call the horse girl card. Every time. I’m usually 2-4 sheets to the wind but goddamn I’ll find that loving card.

Weirdly enough it’s helped in keeping track of whether I paid him back, just find the horse girl. I’m working on associating more cards with more friends, but I just gotta find the right vibe. Him? Horse girl.

Had to find it, lmao it owns.