Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You all know the scam, but my experience with it. Trying to sell my Galaxy S3 so I could try that new Nokia with the fancy camera at the time. In my office I could only get service by laying the phone on the windowsill. I get an email response to my ad, phone vibrates, falls in the floor and breaks the screen. It wasn't even someone who actually wanted the phone, it was the ol nigerian scam.

The projector thing has made its way here finally. My friends parents built this beautiful new palace of a home, my friend told me they had a projector. I was sizing it up, the quality looked pretty bad and I didn't recognize the brand, looked it up and its one of those knock offs. Now his dad is someone who watches stuff about conspiracies all day and argued with me a few months ago that the technology exists for us to teleport, I forget why he said they wont let us do it though. I'm from way wayy out in the sticks as well, I'm surprised more of that dont go on out there as most people are old and uneducated and would be easy marks.
I live in the city now and I'm starting to see them on the local classifieds facebook groups. Lady selling one under the brand name "Quantum projectors" the other night for just $700, when I asked where she got it she got very defensive but started to listen to my explanation of how its bogus and that she was probably scammed, I didn't initially suggest she was trying to scam, just thought she didn't know the difference. Someone else commented and agreed it was bogus and she removed the ad. She said she had it over a year but never used it, too bad I said she should have asked for her money back if it weren't too late. Said she bought it from ebay. She asked me what they were actually worth, I said I wouldn't take a chance on it at all personally to which she replied "better to get some money back than none". Reposted again today at $800 with the super high quality Quantum projector screen thrown in too.

I lived in Calgary for a bit in 2007, being 19 at the time. I'm kinda blurry on this whole event but leaving a 7/11 (can you believe it) in my dirty construction work clothes this guy outside gives me a sob story and asks could I give him a ride, fine he didn't need to go far. I forget exactly how it went, but he asked for like $20 or $40 when we got to the first place and then when we got to the next stop he would give me the money back. We then went and met these bunch of...lets say...urban looking gentlemen, one of which leaned in the window and asked if I wanted to buy any weed, in retrospect I should be glad I guess that he kindly accepted the refusal and they all didn't rob/kill me, probably because I was rotten and driving a lovely old dirty Mazda 323 and did not exude wealth. I dont remember how the guy ended up leaving but he took my number and said he would call me back later when he had the money, and he did call and ask to meet back at the 7/11. But as you can tell by me being here today to make this post I took the loss and didn't go. I remember him saying on the phone "bet you thought you weren't gonna get your money back".
A whole bunch of us worked for this company which had projects going on all over the city and we were all spread out everywhere, and we lived at different ends of town so we would carpool and meet up in the middle and switch cars. My uncle got sick one morning so he got out where we would meet and said he would call a cab to go home. The gas station wouldn't change his bills to get change for the payphone, so he walked. Outside that same 7/11 at I guess probably 6 in the morning a bunch of thugs confronted him, one approached and demanded his wallet. When he didn't give in, the guy reached for his lunchbox, my uncle pulled back. The guy tugged again, this time he let it go and then kicked him in the nuts. Remember, construction. Steel nose boots. He quickly collected his lunchbox and took off running, got into a back alley and crawled underneath someones shed until they gave up the search. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU