Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've been told that certain scummy telemarketing job offers work the same way, but this is the first time I've encountered it:

Work for our company, doing customer support for MLM scheme advertising ("Solo ads", sorry if I'm simplifying this needlesly complex bullshit) for two-three months. You're going to work 7 days a week, for 80% of what a regular minimum wage job pays. Once you've passed your probation period, you'll get a cut of our overall sales revenue, and earn approximately 3-4000$ a month.

Which... wouldn't be so surprising, if they weren't looking specifically for someone well educated with exceptional English skills, and didn't make me go through an incredibly elaborate interview process.

Edit - something I always wanted to try:

Someone's running a shell game in front of a crowd. You play, loudly announce that the shell is in the middle (or whatever, doesn't actually matter) and flip the other two cups yourself before the conman can. Both cups are empty, so obviously the ball must be in the middle one. Do people try that? What happens if/when they do?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bitcoin bastard posted:

It's almost the shell game from above. All the marks scurry around selling lovely off brand poo poo to friends, family, and gullible people on the street. Real money is selling conference tickets.
As a very deep and not at all worn out metaphor, every aspect of American capitalism is "like a shell game" where you direct peoples attention to a distraction, then pocket their money just when they think they have a chance to win. In other ways, I don't really see the similarity.

thrakkorzog posted:

You know back in my college days, me and some buddies would walk into frat parties, claim we were a magic act, and then set up a 3 card Monte table. I was the shill, a basic nerdy guy, who won more often than I lost, playing 3 card monte. And occasionally drunken fratboys kicked my rear end out for not being one of them. We still cleared around $600 a weekend.
Good for you? Not actually familiar with the game (one of the reasons I never tried the idea above, besides natural timidity, is that street-cons like that aren't very popular in Israel), but what would you do / have done if someone tried the trick above? Seems like exactly the sort of semi-clever thing a bunch of drunken frat boys would pull?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 23, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm translating a contract (despite having no accounting experience) and had to find proper translations for some accounting terms.

A bit of googling told me that the presence of terms like "Rolls and extensions" "Operative documentary letter of credit" and "International banking hours" (yes, I'm serious) probably means something scammy is going on, but none of the sources I found provided any details about the actual substance of the scam.

So... what is / could be the scam involved?

Also... should I alert my client? I'm not actually sure which side drafted the contract though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Better yet - it was a contract between a Brazilian and a Jordanian (persistently spelled "Jourdanian" throughout the document) firm, in English, to be translated into Hebrew.

Which isn't that odd – as a freelance translator in a multicultural society, you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack working with a UNICEF immunization campaign one day, and translating really random bullshit for a friend of a friend the other.

But still. It was kinda weird. After I tried asking a few questions, they "decided to take their business elsewhere" so I guess… it was a scam of some sort? Maybe?

Edit - I've translated basic legal and financial documents before. Generally speaking, a notary will confirm the accuracy of the translation, and apparently their signature will grant the translation the force of a legal document.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 12, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

MLM's are pretty big in Russia as well. I'd say it's an indication of psycho-social pressures of income inequality and a lopsided distribution of wealth, but "capitalism" just captures things much more neatly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

BeigeJacket posted:

I spent an hour looking at MLM wikis and you tubes. Didn't realise they were so prevalent!

The YouTube videos from the MLM people are interesting. There are a ton of em with titles like 'Is MLM a scam?" which was the sort of thing I was looking for. Turns out the answer is 'No, definitely not' and here's a long meandering explanation why featuring missing the point entirely diagrams scribbled on a whiteboard . These people love whiteboards.
Haha. Searching for "solo ads" from my earlier example (particularly with the name of the company added) will get you a bunch of those. Just the guy sitting at our local mall / pub and explaining just how much money your MLM bullshit will generate with solo ads.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Carnival of Shrews posted:

The collapse usually comes when the founders begin mysteriously powering through the pyramids much faster than the average member, or several upper-level members turn out to be family members/friends who formed a ready-assembled top three tiers without paying the buy-in fee (I know of no case that ended in prosecution, in which the founders had failed to pull at least one of these moves). That's obviously 'cheating', and gets reported to the police by a disgruntled bottom-tier recruit who doesn't see any progress for themselves. Because only big and obviously dishonest founders ever get prosecuted, relatively few people, even today, are aware that it's illegal to join or recruit for such a scheme -- not just to be the organiser of one.

As described in the Guardian article on the women-only scams, there's a substantial proportion of citizens who are self-admittedly OK with pyramid schemes only paying out to a maximum of 12% of members, as long as they're in that 12%, they get out before the music stops, and they're never asked to do something that they explicitly know is illegal. I think it's these somewhat morally flexible folk who form the vital recruitment interface between the premeditated con-artists who found such schemes, and the large number of people who eventually really do get suckered in with talk of 'abundance', or are just plain desperate.
People will join pyramid schemes with full knowledge of what they are, if they have some excuse for fooling themselves into thinking they're not at the very bottom.

There was some sort of an economics experiment I remember too vaguely to google accurately: the students got to trade "stocks" among themselves, at an ever lowering cost, with each sale generating a profit. Even though they had a clock ticking down to the exact moment when trading will stop and the "stocks" they bought will become unsellable cost sinks, students kept buying till the last 30 seconds or so. Why? "I thought I'd find some sucker who would buy with 20 seconds to go".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The horse trading one was still used as "an original Stradivarius violin" well into the 20th century.

Where's your avatar from, anyways? Looks like "Hark, a Vagrant", but I can't find that particular comic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Got at call from the bank - apparently someone transfered 2500 shekels from my account to Armenia. It's kinda weird that the bank is calling me to begin with (I first thought it was about an unusual transaction I made the day before), in Russian, and Caller ID doesn't ID the number as the bank.

Ok, how did the money get transferred? Where did the instruction came from, what got hacked? The caller has a really hard time processing the query, though maybe I just suck at communicating. Do I use the application? Do I visit the local branch often? (In retrospect, I shouldn't have answered either question).

All right, he's going to "insure" my funds. How much money do I have in my account? I'm not going to answer that question.

Cool, local police will contact me. I said I live in Arad, right?

Hang up the phone, mark the number on caller ID as "Bank - probably a scammer?"

A few minutes later, I get a call marked as "Next town over - Police". Another Russian speaker, a woman. At this point I'm fairly confident I'm getting scammed, so I start loving around - everyone are so conveniently speak Russian today, the police are calling me back ever so quickly, and how can I be of service to the local law enforcement?

She's in no mood to be hosed with - "Xander, did you always sound like a total fag or are you just pretending for my benefit?" and hangs up the phone. This one gets marked down as a scammer without a question mark.

Notes:
1. I read about this type of scam in several random Russian blogs. Not sure how I'd react if I didn't have that info.

2. People who comment on these blogs don't have a life, and don't believe anything interesting ever happens to anyone else. They're particularly "oh, and everyone stood up and clapped, amirite?" about stories that end with the scammer being annoyed at the target loving with them, cussing them out and hanging up. And yet.

3. Apparently the target audience are Russian pensioners, but they'll happily take on an younger crowd? Or they don't have a way to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

To be fair this bit does sound like police so far.

What's the scam supposed to be? Advance fee fraud? They will "insure" your account for 500 shekels, please do use an Amazon gift card, yes the bank only takes that now and definitely cannot just withdraw from your account?
As far I know (we didn't get that far) the aim is for you to share your credit card info, transfer money from your account to a "non-compromised" account, or outright withdraw cash from your bank account before it gets stolen and hand it over to a "security consultant".

Use google translate for further info:

https://www.exler.ru/blog/razvod-zvonok-iz-banka.htm

https://www.exler.ru/blog/novyy-vid-telefonnogo-moshennichestva-budte-bditelny.htm?sort_nested=-created_at

https://www.vokrug.tv/article/show/15801012611/

https://www.exler.ru/blog/ocherednoy-razvod-voprosy.htm?sort=created_at

https://www.facebook.com/lala.brynza/posts/3293737834006291