Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So the gold chain for cheap scam. Obviously, if someone is coming up to you on the street selling jewelry, it's a scam, but often they will talk about how it is an expensive piece and you can tell because of the clasp. It is true that cheap jewelry has crappy clasps and nice jewelry has better ones that might keep 200$ worth of gold on your neck, but it is also true that you can buy replacement good clasps cheaply and put them on crappy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Palisader posted:

Does it seem like the phone sale/scam attempts are getting more numerous? It's almost like they went to email for a while, realised that doesn't work all that well, and are now going back to phoning people.

I work from home and there is a definite increase in scammy calls. I also work in telecom, and can tell you that the technology has made it easier and cheaper to do these kind of scams.

The other thing I see is that companies are doing whatever they can to get around the Do Not Call laws. I've had a number of local companies call me and me being on the DNC list is just another objection to overcome. My favorite was the guy who had a script which said "well, you can't blame us if we misdialed your number' and tried to pass it off as human error, when it was clearly an autodialer that called.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

That Robox posted:

How common is it for MLM/Pyramid scams to team up? I keep seeing big colorful posters around, and ads posted on facebook about some "Women's Empowerment Summit" or something similar to that. And it's basically like 5 or 6 of these MLMs targeting women all under one roof. They've teamed up to rent a conference center or something.

And as usual, I'm just holding my tongue because every time I've tried to point out an obvious scam, I get dogpiled on and accused of being jealous and trying to ruin opportunities for people.

Very common. A lot of the major MLMs have groups associated with them that are almost their own entities. Usually there will be a few people on top with large downlines. Once they are established, they will milk those downlines for all they are worth.

That is another part of the MLM scam. You may only need to order 100$ of product a month (on auto-delivery of course) in order to be part of the MLM, but a lot of times the uplines want you buying tapes made by them talking about sales tactics, or go to events where they talk about sales, or take their custom sales traning, all of which is pure profit.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

grack posted:

About 10 years ago when I was going in to the third year of my degree program someone called and left a message on my cell that I had won a $2500 scholarship that I hadn't applied for, and that they needed my Social Insurance Number (same as SSN) for "tax purposes".

Went in person to the school office and it turned out that yes, I had in fact won a $2500 scholarship, they really did need my SIN for tax purposes and the person who called me was just too stupid to leave a message that didn't sound like a scam.

I used to work for a college that did research involving elderly participants. They were paid for their time, but since it was income, a 1099 firm would be filled out and the income reported to the government. Because of this they had to fill out a w-2 type form.

Every time when we got to the part during the intake interview where we had them fill out w-2 information including SSN, there was a 50% chance they would get upset and even walk. One guy even looked like he was about to punch me. To be sure, we were at a state college, they were were on the campus and had been given a lot of forms relating to a real study, including lead scientist, relation to the college, etc, and they were talking to a research assistant with a visible identity badge. I guess the AARP does a good job educating folks about identity theft.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
You had just seen Young Frankenstein and the answer was, 'There wolves.'

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is this a thing, or is it only used by attractive women to lure drunk dudes to MLM pitches? :lol:

My neighbor's entire family signed up for Dreamtrips. The only one who made any money was their 22 year old daughter.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

shs posted:

Somebody called me the other day saying I was being audited by the US Treasury. I could either press 1 to speak to their lawyers, or press 2 to face criminal charges.

I wish I had been home at the time to press 2. I'm curious to know what sort of names I would've been called, or maybe he would've just sighed and hung up.

The last time I got a call from the Microsoft scammers I answered the phone "Hi scammer! How are your scammy scams going today?" and they still spent 10 minutes trying to get me to give them control of my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

A pyramid scheme isn't a Ponzi scheme either; they are distinct. MLM really is a pyramid scheme with an attached product. The guides to making money on MLM are very explicit about all the money you cannot make by selling the product ever, only by recruiting. It is a recruiting job where you recruit other recruiters, period. It is a pyramid scheme. It isn't enforced for the same reason that felony poppy seed possession isn't enforced, which is institutional inertia.

This is a good post about what is wrong with MLMs in general, but there is another piece which is even worse. The scummiest part of MLM's isn't the focus of the MLM (vacations, health potions, whatever), but the fact that once they have you, they put a vacuum into your wallet until nothing is left.

Sure, you might have signed up for Primerica because you wanted a financial education and to build wealth, and you were ok with hitting up friends and family to buy stuff, and of course you redid your mortgage, credit card debt and car loans into one bundle to lower your high interest debt, and you are buying their insurance, etc. The problem comes when your upline wants more. First it is tapes or videos or whatever they use now. With MLMs, the higher ups, or diamonds or whatever they call the people at the top are worshiped. So of course you buy the videos and watch them, and sign up to get the new ones every month. Then there are the sales conferences. They are out of town and expensive, but your upline requires it and if you don't put down the cash, you lack proper motivation. All of the above happened to friends of mine. And for some MLM's the upline/downline hierarchy is stable across multiple MLM companies. So you might be buying multiple health potions, vitamines, organic coffee or whatever. Basically signing up for an MLM is like getting a stamp that says 'sucker' put on your forehead, and the organizations within the MLMs work to exploit that however they can.