Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That's bizarre, Square had readers here in Australia too and they are entirely contactless tap and go readers as far as I'm aware. No one here has swiped a card in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Derren Brown's pretty close! Not all of his stuff is about debunking bullshit but a lot of it is or at least has elements of it, given that his entire thing is he does things people claim to use magic powers to do but is honest about it not being magic. He's especially interesting on the topic of religious faith, since he used to be an evangelical Christian himself and now has apparently worked out how to manipulate people to temporarily experience faith when they haven't ever before.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of rigging slot machines, if you haven't read this article about a Russian group beating the machines at their own game then it's absolutely worth your time.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Anyone who can say "I was upset at first, but then I remembered it was only money" about losing $400,000 needs to lose far more than that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Why kidnap people when you can convince them to kidnap themselves?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-23/international-students-fall-victim-to-virtual-kidnapping-scams/12689722

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I dunno guys, I've never been happier since I became my own boss and started making $20k a month

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfu39l0kxg

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

Do people actually trade in their phones on a yearly basis? I think the average in my circle of friends/family is 2-3 years. I've definitely put off buying new ones a few times because I'm too lazy to change all of the billion custom settings on a new phone. Doing it every few months seems exhausting. (I use Android -- no idea how easy it is to switch iPhones.)

If you get a new iPhone and have it turned on near your old iPhone, your old one will pop up a message saying hey do you want to set up your new phone? You hit yes, and then like 15 minutes later your old one is cloned to your new one, settings and media storage and all. Source: I bought an iPhone 12 a month or so ago (my old phone was like 4-5 years old though I'm not one of Those People).

They have turned painless upgrading into an art, which makes sense when you want people to do it constantly.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hey remember how last year all those people got unsolicited seeds from China as part of a brushing scam? Turns out it was not in fact a weird brushing scam.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There's also this long but IMO interesting interview about the intersection of MLMs and mormonism, related to the LLR documentary.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

EricBauman posted:

It's so they can deport (and bar entry for five years) you for the crime of lying to the govt even if you haven't committed any crimes that would otherwise be actionable by or in the US

I've seen this explanation before and it strikes me as strange. Australia has character requirements for visas including a provision for just generally being of bad character even if you haven't committed an actual crime ever. Surely the US has something similar?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

https://x.com/scriptingjapan/status/1702081524815003735

The "Hi mom, it's me" scam is a little trickier in Japanese than in English.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MrNemo posted:

I had an email through to my personal email purporting to be from my CEO saying they needed to get in contact urgently. Nearly fell for it because I work in a small company, it's entirely possible the CEO might actually contact me directly and I was on holiday at the time. I've also been having some negative performance stuff that's recently been turned around mostly due to a management change but the company also had two high level people resign, creating some worry about whether there was an underlying problem it's facing. The icing on the cake for me buying it initially was when I went to check my work email, I got a message that my work profile had been deleted.

This was essentially a perfect storm for me to think maybe I was being fired in a really lovely way. I did answer that I was available to talk and got a response saying he wanted to send rewards for some colleagues, at which point someone else on the trip pointed out this is a classic scam. The email address was some nonsense thing but I hadn't even thought to check it. Now it's entirely possible if he'd asked me to buy Amazon cards or something I would have started to get suspicious but I can also imagine I'd have been at relieved to still have a job I'd have prioritised getting this task done to show how dedicated I was to who I thought was the CEO. Very much perfect storm conditions.

Those ones are especially lovely because they'll usually try to get you to transfer money from a work account to another account, like tell you they need to pay a client or in this case I guess a bonus to a coworker? Still can look weird, but way more plausible than buy some gift cards or put cash in a box and give it to a stranger.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I work in immigration law and both things are a thing. People definitely get into relationships/marry specifically to get a visa and then gently caress off into the night as soon as it's granted, and people also genuinely meet people online who they fall in love with and move countries to be together with.

Also sometimes someone moves across the world to be with a person they think is their one true love, but then realise after arriving and settling in that it's not working out, but still stay in the relationship until they get a permanent visa because breaking up would mean having to leave the country. Their partner might feel scammed but this poo poo can get complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I love it when clients do that when I have to look at their bank statements for partner visas. Really fun making them explain that the drugs & hookers transfers are just a joke between housemates or whatever (it's fun for me anyway!).