Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

SonOfGhostDad posted:

But to get back on the topic of scams, I've been seeing a lot of business impersonation fraud lately. The scammers will steal and sometimes slightly alter a bank or fintech's logo and formatting, then text or email people who may be on legitimate lead lists.

The scammers will pose as an officer of the bank or fintech and attempt to get the victim to give up their vital info, SSN, bank account info (including login info), as well as email address for complete account takeover. Then comes the gift card demands.

Sometimes they'll even set up dummy websites with fake bank verification prompts, which is especially confusing for people who aren't familiar with programs like Plaid or DecisionLogic, etc.

The Australian Taxation Office (and presumably the equivalent government department in other countries) get a lot of these. They keep a list of reported scams on their website - there are a lot.

When I worked in an ATO call centre ten+ years ago, they had to explicitly state that the ATO will never ask for gift cards to repay tax debts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

Make all social media illegal except for one network that's only cute Jeremy Renner videos with zero commentary.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shoulda re-nwed it when you had the chance.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Got this the other day. The "dot site" made me giggle. Was colespoints.webpage taken?