Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I had a recent scam attempt a few months ago that I had not heard of before. I had a car for sale on Craig's list and after the usual low ball offers and requests for trades I had a message from someone who said they loved the car and would pay the also my price (red flag). The stipulation was that I follow the link she sent to me an get a car fax from a not car fax. I checked the Isp and it was less than a month old and her number was half the country away from me. I offered her the vin number so she could buy her own car fax if she was that worried about it but the reply I got was that she was too scared because she didn't own the car. I told her that is my only offer and if she did it I would take it off the cost of the car. She said the only way was to go this shady website and email her back the info. A little googling and I found that they get a commission on every fake car fax sold. This was a new one to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Pilsner posted:

That is indeed bullshit. Brake caliper pistons have a thread in them (like a big screw), and to "push" back the pistons, necessary when installing brand new brake pads, you need to use a special tool to actually wind the pistons back into the caliper. This requires a LOT of force, and cannot be done by just squeezing them.

It is possible for calipers to be too worn, so the brakes "hang" (or are "frozen"), which wears brake pads and increases gasoline consumption, but this isn't somethign you can just demonstrate by trying to push them by hand.

Huh? Brake calipers are pistons. You can use a c clamp to push them back in or you can use your hands. It takes a little while to do with your hands as it compresses slowly but it works.

Edit for content:
I used to buy van meat back when I worked at a tattoo shop. They would show up with brand new steaks right of the shelf. From what I gathered they bought them with food stamps and then sold them at a discount for cash. Whatever cheap steaks. They actually seemed to care about the dates and keeping the cold too, when I asked dude told me that he was always really careful because if anyone got sick off of his van meat then they would not buy from him again.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 9, 2018

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

shame on an IGA posted:

Brake pistons: It's both, sometimes on the same car. My 98 Accord has press-return pistons in the front but you have to turn the back ones bc they are threaded as described.

I had no idea, I have done brakes on a good dozen or so cars and have never seen this. I learned something new. Thanks!

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Big steaks, big life.