Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I haven’t tried it yet but supposedly Bookshop.org partners with indie bookstores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Amarcarts posted:

I've noticed in recent years there are a lot of websites using little recent sales popups. You'll be trying to look for stuff and down in the lower left hand corner it will repeatedly flash and disappear. (e.g. "Steve in Texas purchased a green vibrator"). Some of these sales may be real but I was googling how to turn these off without luck (anybody know?) and some of the top results were how to add fake ones to your website to boost real sales.

The brute force solution is to get the noscript extension for your browser of choice and set it so everything is blocked by default.

Works pretty well, there’s a button for temporarily whitelisting a site for when I need to make a purchase or whatever. You’ll probably want to permanently whitelist a couple of the things you use most often.

I... doubt those messages are ever real? Seems like an awful lot of work when posting fake messages has the same effect.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Now that every website with a decent amount of traffic is getting bought up by conglomerates, I see a lot of “cross-promotion of affiliate content” which they pinky swear isn’t advertising because it’s all owned by the same company :v:

Especially funny when the affiliate is actually a website whose sole function is to post Amazon links for a commission on click throughs. It’s still not advertising! techically

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 30, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

99% sure she googled/mistyped the support website or phone number that was shown on the screen.

If she bought it off a reseller on Amazon or something similar, there’s a possibility that they mailed a “tech support” pamphlet together with the package.

I suppose it’s feasible that they could have hosed with the printer itself but that’s a lot of effort when it’s already relatively easy to scam folks with a sus website and a free screen-sharing app.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think a few of the most talented sales people do actually make quite a lot of money but that’s because their job is entirely different. They get hired to promote MLM schemes on a temporary basis and their job is not to sell product but rather run a bunch of barnstorming conferences and promo videos to recruit as many new suckers as possible. Then they move on to the next MLM to do the same.

I heard an interview with one of these guys in a podcast about noted scam OneCoin. The impressive part was the dude clearly didn’t understand what OneCoin was, nor did he care. He was still able to get a ton of people to fall for the con.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s no spam calls here in Denmark. EU regulations work. Modernized infrastructure probably also helps, but this is by and large a result of regulations, because cell companies are the ones responsible for cell towers etc.

E: should be noted that there are very rare (like once a year) scam calls. These are targeted calls, usually hitting the elderly.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 15, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

EU regulations have the same power overseas that american regulations do - none at all. there aren't enough danish speakers worldwide to be worth trying to internationally scam the danes. drat near everyone speaks some english though

Huh, I guess I hadn't considered folks think we don't speak english. For the record, the percentage of Danes who speak english is somewhere north of 85%. Those who don't are mostly pensioners.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, they are the only ones being targeted, but thankfully phone scams are quite rare. Now, fraud via e-mail on the other hand...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

Are the roofing companies that come around a whole neighborhood after storms a scam? One showed up today that I'm considering. They say they'll do a free inspection, and then talk to my insurance and if they agree its storm damage, off we go. I have an old roof that needed replacement in the next few years anyway, so it seems like worst case insurance says they wont pay for a new one and I'm in the same place I was. The roofers pitching today look like a decent and longstanding outfit, and even if insurance does agree to replace I wouldn't necessarily need to use them. Is this just how roofers get work, or is there some other facet to this like trying to upsell?

Google ‘roofing stormchasers’ and you’ll find a ton of horror stories.

Those outfits will usually roll into a town for a couple days and knock on a bunch of doors to line up work. Best case scenario, once it’s done (hastily and on the cheap) they’ll leave town and you won’t be able to contact them.

Sometimes they submit a larger invoice to the insurance company than they show you, in which case the homeowner is often the one held responsible for committing insurance fraud.

Or they ask for a sizable downpayment and leave without doing any work.

Check to see if their company is based close to you. If not, that’s a warning sign right there.

E: another thing to watch out for is if they mention federal programs that offer subsidized loans. Those loans are basically a mortgage on your property and you’ll lose it if you can’t pay the monthly costs.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 20, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've gotten several calls wanting to sell me solar panels because they reviewed my house and say that I am in the perfect place for them.

I wonder if the owner of the apartment complex would be interested?

https://www.salon.com/2020/05/09/a-major-player-in-solar-energy-leaves-some-customers-seething_partner/

The other big player is Sunrun and there are a bunch of smaller companies as well. The daily show did a whole segment on the industry but I can't find it, sadly.

E: woops, wrong show. This is very thread appropriate :v: Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8ZPFOxJEc

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 20, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sounds like a great opportunity to pitch your plan for timeshares in a seaside property

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

In my experience the places that have tablets or QR code menus are usually tourist traps and hotel/airport restaurants. Which makes sense, they got hit the hardest by the labour shortage and some of them have a ton of outdoor seating that can't be covered without a small army of wait staff. They also don't really care about return customers so long as they don't get dinged on Yelp for having slow service.

As of 5 years ago when I was in the service industry, the pre-built solutions for digital menus were expensive AF. It took some special circumstances to make them viable.

I don't mind them in principle but its usually a sign that the establishment has an enormous menu and isn't exactly fine dining.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 4, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Institutions and apartment complexes will usually have an arrangement with a locksmithing company, find out who they use.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

namlosh posted:

I’m on mobile so I can’t quote quotes very easily… but am I to understand that these scammers are somehow able to change google’s streetview data????

The article mentions seeing a pink building on streetview and then when they went to the address it wasn’t actually there?? Was the building demolished and the scammers knew that somehow? Well that is crazy.

I guess use Apple Maps or bing maps or something and cross reference. I’m not saying don’t get a referral from a friend… just think you could detect who’s real or not using only sleuthing

Not streetview, just the bog-standard google maps that people use on their phones. And yeah, all the businesses and points of interest in google maps are added by users, owners or google's own data-mining.

It works the same way for iOS maps and probably all the other apps. Want your business to show up on people's phones? Fill out an online form for Google/Apple/whatever. Want to advertise a fake front for a business that doesn't exist? Exactly the same procedure.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Amazing how many different versions of this con exist. I mentioned a similiar grift earlier in the thread where they place bowls of nuts/olives or salad on the tables at restaurants. Touch it and you get an extra 50 euro (or thereabouts) surcharge for the item.

The common theme here is that tourist districts are the worst and even the totally honest establishments serve mediocre food that has been marked up massively. There's nothing to lose if the customer is only going to be there for a week at max.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 27, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have some family who worked in China for years, and they all said it was an amazing place but they absolutely needed a local friend or fixer to find out where to go and not get ripped off. Or just some years’ experience and language skills :v: The place is just too drat big and different, despite foreigners being greeted with a ton of curiosity and enthusiasm.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My experience of it was in Prague on a college school trip. The tour guide parked us at a restaurant and was pretty explicit about not touching the stuff because we were a flock of 19-year-old dumbasses. Sure enough, the menu had a couple appetizers priced equally to the entrees.

But yeah, a little bread or olives on the table isn’t uncommon in Spain or Portugal from what I’ve seen. Central Prague was a pretty predatory place- it’s probably not an issue for areas that aren’t heavily touristed.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

CC holds like that sound insane to me but maybe that's a North American thing. Here if you're charged, it's because you paid for it.

Businesses can charge fees for booking services that they then deduct from the final bill, but that's about it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SIHappiness posted:

Yeah, I should've been clearer: I've met many people who prefer debit cards because they fear the concept of running up a balance too large to pay in a month and incurring interest charges. For them, the act of charging $50 and then immediately paying $50 feels more comfortable than the equivalent act of charging $500 over 10 charges and then paying it the following month, and ultimately they're safer doing this than 10 debit charges. That was sort of what I was going after with that comment - you're absolutely correct that moving past that, there's an even bigger benefit to be had from the 30-55 day delay in payment.

Even the local liquor store chain that gives a discount for using debit doesn't get my debit info - their DB was compromised several years ago and it's just too damned inconvenient to deal with that vs. using credit.

Yeah, a debit card is sometimes used as a scorched earth solution for folks who have spending issues, gambling addiction or similiar. It isn't perfect (and one can also get a CC card with built-in spending limits) but it works. Also good as a kid's first card.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have no issue admitting that I was an even dumber teenager and would have gotten myself into financial trouble if I had the opportunity :v: Although it might have helped if my parents taught me that poo poo

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Whoever starts those things is probably mostly interested in getting people to post their addresses and other PII, not getting a boatload of pet toys.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Easychair Bootson posted:

They're just betting that credit card usage is so ubiquitous now that it's an easy way to recoup those fees.

I think overhead from transaction fees is usually rolled into the menu price. It’s actually unusual that they adjust for people paying with cash.

Desert Bus posted:

The lady that kept emailing me who was getting scammed stopped awhile ago. I just did some Googling, and scammer killed her via taking away her medication money. :(

That’s heartbreaking :(

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That family is comically evil, it’s weird

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It really seems like Google should require additional steps or info to set up such an account.

So many companies don't bother to put any thought into their fraud prevention and messaging.

Technically not a scam, but when I last created a Paypal account, a week later I got a text from "Paypal" saying that my transaction limit had been raised to 4000 bucks. Of course I had done no such thing, so I immediately called my bank and reported fraud, ordered a new credit card and shut down my Paypal account.

Turns out this is something Paypal does automatically and they just communicate it in the most suspicious way possible. :argh:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I wouldn't do it for the aforementioned reasons, but in principle I think companies should always pay us for the privilege of recording our personal information. So they are doing one thing right.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Zero One posted:

https://kfor.com/news/local/apache-police-now-investigating-teen-who-posed-as-physician-assistant-more-alleged-victims/

TLDR: Baby-faced teen tries to recreate "Catch me if you can" by posing as a physician's assistant and sneaking into hospitals. Is caught but finds new ways to commit crimes while on probation.

The car scam he is running is a little clever: 1) buy a car with a loan. 2) pay off loan with ACH debit from an account with no funds. 3) sell car to someone else who verified payoff before the payment bounces. 4) profit.

He was on my radar already because he tried to defraud my company. The article has a brief mention that he showed an account with $2.4 million and that he day trades... that was us! He opened and account, deposited a fake $2.4 million check, did a bunch of trades, then tried to take the money out again before the check bounced.

We stoppee him because he's using his real name and just a couple weeks before had tried the same thing with a different subsidiary of ours. But we share info on our cases and as soon as his name came up again the account was locked down.

I have to admit I respect the hustle. Would probably have made the same or better money if he just went into finance and did the legal sort of white collar crime.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Some country-specific Red Cross organizations are pretty decent. I think the ARC and to some extent the IFRC are uniquely bad.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's a really lovely job. Most of them are misadvertised so the people being hired don't know what they are getting into. Apparently in Singapore, a new tactic has been to recruit workers from overseas, advertising it as an entry level IT job and requiring an expensive upfront commission. The immigrants arrive having blown their money and are stuck there since they never get a proper work visa.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s always funny when folks fall for this sort of scam but I think a lot of the time, they are terribly lonely people who are vulnerable to the right approach at the right time. Or senile or otherwise disadvantaged to some degree.

All that said, folks who blithely click through security training and consequently fall for dumb cons out of willful ignorance need to get their poo poo sorted out :argh:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Not a scam, per se, but one of the things I'm fascinated by recently is money laundering through virtual currencies like WoW gold and CoD skins. Do we have a money laundering ask/tell?

It’s mostly done in games that allow trading on 3rd party sites - harder to track and more pop up every time one is shuttered. Items are often posted with ludicrous prices to make sure the money doesn’t end up in somebody else’s hands.

Steam has been used for laundering for quite a few years now. If you sell something at a price far above its average selling point, you might get an automated message saying the funds have been put on hold. It doesn’t help that they provide an API for third-party sites to use the marketplace.

Amusingly there’s also a small industry of low effort games priced at 200$ and above. Just another way to whitewash currency.

I think the practice is probably a lot more widespread than publishers and platforms acknowledge. They take a cut of the proceeds, after all.

E: my pet theory is that the reason Star Citizen posts higher “pledges” every single year is money laundering via selling ships. It’s nuts that the spending has consistently increased every single year.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 30, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Counterstrike skins are apparently used for this

Yeah, Valve made a lot of noise about cracking down on CSGO skin trading after attracting unwelcome attention from law enforcement in 2019. They closed several hundred accounts and authorities shut down a couple trading sites.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 1, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Booking.com has some pretty serious internal issues at the moment. They also have stopped passing on payments to a lot of hotels: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/01/booking-com-hotel-fees-unpaid-millions-technical-issue

With that and the email hack, it’s best to avoid using their service for the time being.

Reports of scammers sending mails from their domain containing customers’ private info have been occurring for years now: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/mysterious-leak-of-booking-com-reservation-data-is-being-used-to-scam-customers/

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 1, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

PDFs are weird and can contain javascript so yeah. Probably depends on what you open it with.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wow, that's a whole rainbow of scams. Check fraud, bogus prestige certifications and uh, some incel rear end in a top hat harassing therapists?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve bitched before about PayPal texting me out of the blue, informing me that my transaction limit had been removed. Of course I instantly called the bank to ensure that no transactions had gone through and block the associated card.

Turns out PayPal does this automatically and communicates it in the most suspicious way possible lol

I still shut down my account because brain dead communication like that is hard to distinguish from fraud or a scam, things which have to be acted on immediately.

Moral of the story is that the signal to noise ratio is such that it’s easy for scams to slip through because so much legitimate information is communicated in a sketchy way.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you are aware that you absolutely can be tricked by a scam, even if you have an understanding of how it works, then you are in the correct mindset to hopefully avoid it.

If you are totally confident that you know the warning signs for a given type of scam and are immune to it, then you're setting yourself up for trouble if targeted by a con that deviates from how you expect it to proceed or catches you off guard on the worst day of your life. Which, yeah, that's a perfect example of hubris in action

More generally, I think saying 'drat, this could also get me on a bad day' or not crapping overly much on folks for falling for stupid cons (ok, maybe a little because its' funny sometimes :v:) is helpful for others who may not have that mindset, or are too ashamed of their own experiences to share what scam they fell for and how it happened. Want to encourage folks to educate others

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 21, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Filipinos marrying folks abroad is also something that happens quite often. Like it’s a bit of a cliche in my country. Not sure I’d call that a scam exactly, the couples I’ve seen were happy, even if their reasons for marrying were a little different.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

teen witch posted:

Horse Girl Swish Card has been going on for at least a few months now, though I’ve never sent twice in one night…yet. I’ve sent him other ones but it’s predominantly Horse Girl Swish Card.

One did have a lyric from Bob Dylan’s Hurricane as the message which answered my question “why do I have a webpage with the lyrics saved on a whole new tab window?” from a week or so back.

E: do not go drinking with me

This reminds me of a friend who decided to send requests for 20$ to everyone on his contact list late one night. Got a cool 100 back!

I guess this is technically a con as well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I know a couple folks who cashed out but they are pretty quiet about it. Feels like the folks who talk a lot about their crypto earnings also have it all tied up in yet more crypto or some other side-hustle