Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My new experience has been getting text messages that say “Thank you, your bill for March has been paid! Click here for a free gift! ——> [strange link]”

only now I’m getting them as a part of a group text, like these people are just selecting 10-15 cell phone numbers at random off a list and firing them off, hoping to get at least a couple of clicks (and I bet they do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

If you Google "roofers knocking on doors after storm scam" there's a bunch of warnings (mostly from roofing companies, but a couple from insurance companies) about a lot of these people being fly-by-night scam artists who will do a lovely job on your roof then disappear.

Not quite the same thing but a while back I got a call from someone who must've gotten my name from a data broker. He left a message addressing me by name, saying they had put a new roof on my house back in 1995 when it was owned by the previous owner, wanted to know if he could come out and inspect it for any new damage.

My house was built in 2002.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Dd you tell him that? What was his response?

Nah, I never called him back and actually blocked his number.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I did the “Landmark Forum” back in 1999 or so, at the insistence of a coworker.

It’s kind of a lock-in kind of a thing, where it’s positive reinforcement/thinking etc. using their own peculiar terminology. Strictly scheduled break times, which as I recall were supposed to be spent in the room. When you go to lunch or dinner you’re told what you should be talking about while you’re gone.

It’s normally held in a mostly featureless room with no clocks.

At the end their main goal is to get you to 1) sign up for further “seminars” and 2) get other people to sign up for the initial one

Others may come in here and say they really get something out of it. My coworker sure did.

I call it sort of a pyramid scheme but not really (because you don’t get anything by annoying other people until they finally agree to do it… well, maybe you got a small discount off the next course you were going to, if you referred someone, but nobody gets paid except for the landmark people)

It is kind of culty IMO, but it’s not as insular and people don’t end up killing themselves on orders. It’s just kind of weird.

Also it’s a waste of money IMO, if you are into self-help you can do better for cheaper by buying a book or two.

Also when I refused to sign up for another course they called me a couple times a week for a couple of months asking me when I was going to sign up again.

I think you all get the picture.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I will say one positive thing about Landmark:

From what I’ve read and heard, it’s not NEARLY as expensive as Scientology, LMAO

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Friend of mine is going through a nightmare right now.

She just got scammed. It was one of those things where they spoof the bank phone number and call saying there’s activity that looks to be fraudulent.

She stopped short of giving them the OTP code but prior to that she gave them last four of her social, mother’s maiden name, DOB, and her previous address (she’s now moved and hasn’t filled out a change of address card yet)

:negative:

Since all this happened, she closed the bank account in question, froze her credit with all three bureaus, put a PIN on her IRS account, and put some kind of fraud alert in effect with the three credit bureaus, which I think she says stays in effect for a year.

She also called the social security administration and I’m not really sure what they told her, other than the fact that her SSN will never change.

She also signed up for freecreditreport.com which apparently allows her to pull reports for free weekly until the end of the year.

She’s now afraid to open a new bank account and is extremely freaked out in general.

The bank, IRS, and SSA have supposedly all told her that she has done all she can do.

Should she look into some kind of subscription credit monitoring like lifelock or something, or are those also themselves scams?

Is there anything else she needs to do or think about?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

U.S. authorities say that a key investor in the Dongmei Zone is Wan Kuok Koi, a convicted Chinese organized crime figure also known as “Broken Tooth.” Mr. Wan could not be reached for comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

All my checks went to one fellow and I was a little suspicious. His name is Jerome S. Elero

Concerning