Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Had some bastard ring up today claiming to be from the Australian Tax Office and that they knew I had been withholding taxes between 2010 and 2014 on purpose and they were going to sic their lawyer on me. The guy spent forever trying to convince me he was a legit agent, giving me a fake name, fake agent number, and fake case number too, insisting that if I felt he was lying I could then call the ATO and look him up. Luckily he knew the exact amount I owed and I'm sure if I hadn't gotten bored with his lovely pseudo-legalese explanation of why they were suing me they'd have explained how I could transfer the money via Western Union or something, but he was taking forever and I lost my patience and told the guy if he was from the ATO they could send me a letter, otherwise he could go gently caress himself. That was after my sister received a call not four hours earlier where apparently our mother has a criminal record and they're bringing charges against her. Been a busy day for scammers today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Jake Snake posted:

What exactly were they trying to get out of your sister here? Money to expunge your mother's record/stop the charges? Is that even a thing most people think you can do?

Not sure exactly, as soon as she heard "mother's criminal record" she laughed at them and told them they were full of poo poo. I assume it would have been similar to my call, send us money and we'll get it cleared up. Most people wouldn't fall for it, but they're not preying on most people. They're targeting those who are going to panic and agree to everything and send them the cash without stopping to think about why this situation is dodgy as hell.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

sullat posted:

Well, this is just with the tax impersonation scam. Don't know if the Aussie version uses foreign call centers, but the US one certainly does. And they don't dig through garbage, they get lists of tens of thousands of names and numbers and call them, on the assumption that a couple of bites will make the expense worth it.

It was almost certainly a foreign call centre, number was blocked and the bloke had an Indian accent. Call centres here try not to hire Indians with obvious accents because they tend to get hung up on immediately thanks to a shitload of people getting calls from Microsoft about viruses, the ATO/criminal record scams, solar panel and energy saver rebates, etc. Every scam call I can remember receiving has been a blocked or overseas number with an Indian person on the other end. I wish they had better job prospects over there so they didn't get suckered into scamming people. Is there any truth to the scammer call centres being advertised as legitimate jobs and then paying people peanuts to read a script until they land a sucker, and then have to hand the phone over to a "supervisor" who is better prepared to lie and threaten and improvise their way into your wallet?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh yeah, and didn't he try to play it up as 'You will never know what value you could get -wink wink-', leading to 'another' goon proclaiming that his investment landed him either a TV, a car, or a boat?

That was a fun thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338464&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

I was in NYC near Penn Station and had a guy dressed as a monk (saffron robe, shaved head) slip a Buddha card with a bit of gold on it into my hand. I looked puzzled as hell, and he whips out a book with people's names and money written next to them jabs at it a couple of times. I tried to ask him what it was, and he feigned having no English. He actually handed me the book and a pencil so I wrote my name and 25 cents and gave him a quarter. He jabbed the $20 dollars other people had written down, but since he was pretending not to understand English I pretended not to understand his (probably fake, in retrospect) Chinese. I mean, he still got a quarter out of me.

I'm the retard who gave a "Buddhist" "monk" 20 bucks for a tiny book he shoved into my hands while regaling me and my friends with tales about being a genuine Buddhist monk. My two friends also gave him 20 bucks for their books after he told us that the initial 5 bucks was too low. My only defense is I was an idiot teen and following my friends' lead instead of telling him to gently caress off or just awkwardly walking away. For reference this was about 15 years ago in Melbourne and he was my very first scammer. I still cringe remembering this and if someone tries it on me again I'll throw their stupid book in the bin in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

It's funny how like three in the last ten posts have talked about people getting spoofed calls from their own number.

The thread is spoofing posts from itself.