Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours
One time as a teen a slightly disheveled dude came up to me outside a subway station and gave me a sob story how he and his daughter had been stranded in the city and someone had stolen their ids, bank cards and cash, and they needed 10€ for a long distance bus home. He had about 50 cents on him, and I had a few coins in the pocket, so I handed him about 1,50€, figuring that it's at least triple what he has got so far.

As I handed the coins, I saw a few of his fingers had been cut (and healed)*. Awshit. Then the dude started berating me for giving him too little, probably hoping to intimidate me into fishing out the wallet and giving him more. I just made my excuses, I said with the 2€ he now had he could get to the police station a few stations away and report what he had to, and then I got the hell away. I saw him a few times during that year, trying the same thing on other people.

*Druggie with drug debts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I recently got called up by a telemarketer who pushed a magazine that supports a hotline for bullied kids.

The scammy part is that the hotline is only barely open and run by completely untrained people. The company printing the magazine pockets the vast majority of the profit from their overpriced mag but presents their operation as charity. Since you do receive a poorly edited quarterly magazine, it's technically not fraud though.

I told the guy to go gently caress himself. Of all kinds of frauds, charity frauds are the worst.
I got a similar call some months ago. The seller was really aggressive and unprofessional which made me say I need to think about it, asked for their website ("yeah yeah I can totally join via the website right") and promptly Googled the thing to find a bunch of discussion about the company. Apparently they did have a legit magazine but I'm willing to bet all monet not going on the mag would be taken and hidden by the company boss.