Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

nishi koichi posted:

yeah, all of the above.

i’m convinced mlm is for people who are dissatisfied with their lives and lack the class consciousness to understand exactly what’s going on

Sounds like what a LOSER would say to me!

Me, I'm a multi millionaire. Just had some minor liquidity issues for the last *checks age* 45 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, people who are desperate for money and acclimated to abuse sure are cringy :rolleyes:

I mean I can see where they're coming from - for me it is just frustration?

How can you help someone who seems so utterly vulnerable? The temptation is there just to give up and snap at them.

And, in all the 'discourse', I don't think I have ever seen serious calls made to put a stop to the perpetrators. So the abuse and scamming will always continue - it will just be happening to someone else.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Loads of places stopped taking cash here at the height of Covid because of the (perceived as it turns out?) risk of it spreading through contact.

Plus from an accounting/financial controls perspective it is so much easier to run a report from the card system than to run till rolls, count the cash, reconcile the cash to the till, investigate why it's £5 short, bank the cash, reconcile the bank to the count...

And that's before someone just robs the store

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

When I built my last PC, Norton pre installed with the motherboard drivers. The PC then started shutting itself down a few minutes after power on, every time.

I thought I'd broken something but on an offhand forum comments, rush uninstalled Norton before it could power off and never had the problem again

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I feel like the $50 coffee tourist scam is probably not legal in a lot of places. Venice definitely had a big push to shut it down semi recently, presumably because the local government has the power to do that.

If you do have a ~true free market~ where $50 is the market price as God intended then maybe not.

Definitely trying to pull that in front of east Mediterranean style tourist police would lead to a very bad evening for the restaurant and they'd worry about what the actual law says later

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I feel like London gets around taxi scams by having the black cabs operate like a hyper regulated medieval guild. The downside is that they're ruinously expensive unless you're an oligarch, you're expensing it, or you're on holiday budget. I don't know a single ordinary person who takes them remotely regularly.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Goldskull posted:

The fun thing with the rickshaw drivers being equally despised by both Police and Taxi Drivers. Oh, and anyone who lives in London.
Inevitable altercations between taxis/rickshaws always end up with the rickshaw driver being hauled away, according to two different cab drivers spending the entire journey I was on bitching about them.

Add cyclists too, they take up the whole cycle lane going at walking speed and playing loud music :mad:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Literally claiming dibs on the house once the owners die - or if you prefer, robbing the next generation of the lion's share of their inheritance and fobbing off grandpa with some cruise money. :boomer:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think it's really the generational issue that it comes out of what will become the estate in ~15 years.

This is based on the demographic it's marketed to and how aggressively it's marketed.

If used for cruise money it's very easy to spin it as screwing your children out of the last remaining proceeds of the magic money tree, only 50% of people even need to work economy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

quote:

“A mother knows her child,” she said later. “You can hear your child cry across the building, and you know it’s yours.”

I mean to be totally cold-hearted about it, clearly not.

It feels like this sort of thing is just going to thrive off the fervent middle class belief that there's a genuine significant risk of being violently kidnapped or robbed anywhere outside of [#suburb]

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

For only :10bux: you can already join the finest global community of philosophers and polymaths on the information superhighway

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I expect the way it will work (in future) is that it's all fed into an incredibly expensive black box machine learning model that tells them to drop all the expensive claimants

"Sorry your honour our process is just to follow the computer, you can't prove it drops expensive cases because no one understands it except Dr Blofeld from IBM"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have definitely seen interviews with (non immigrant) scammers who are very clearly proud to be ~beating the system~, making more than a drone in a non-criminal call centre, and sticking it to mr moneybags (retired) from the first world.

I mean for sure they're in a precarious commission based job working for actual serious gangsters, but, as long as they got their bonus rolex, they'd made it for now and told themselves they were swashbuckling netrunners

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Impermanent posted:

That's amazing but: is there any evidence that real phishing attempts are ever that intricate?

I mean given that "social engineering" is just a phrase to make the concept of spying palatable to tech brains, sure

Why this one time mossad social engineers planted palm trees above Syrian artillery positions and claimed it was for shade, little did they know it was a 'zero day kinetic red team hack' in which Israel then blew them to pieces

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I appreciate the underpinning of that spam being the sender's military unit is a gang of bandits needing to hide their loot.

If you have a problem, and nobody else can help, and if you have £300 for a lost airport locker key...