Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Wait, I'm missing something here, why does everyone want Tide? And that scam nets you negative cash, but positive Tide, but in the wrong container.
It's a prestige object.
http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

It doesn't quite work like that. If you're some dude with $10k in Somalia you're kind of hosed. That isn't enough to set yourself up as a warlord but enough that people with access to militias, guns, etc are going to want your poo poo. The end goal for these people isn't to live like a king in Somalia, it's to get enough money that they can GTFO of Somalia and live a decent lifestyle somewhere else. Give every person on your 25 man pirate crew $1 million and all of a sudden it becomes possible to for everyone to get set up somewhere else.

This is also why they need that single big cash out. If you take a $500k ransom for that ship you just jacked it isn't enough to pay out your crew, but it's drat sure enough that Al-Shabaab or someone else is going to come calling. Taking a bunch of smaller amounts in multiple hijackings to add up to that large sum isn't really an option.
these guys and my guys would have some interesting loving conversations

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Seriously, I keep finding out the weirdest connections between 30YW mercs and the modern world. Maybe some mercenary company PMC can bring back poofy sleeves and ruffles as part of their uniform.
It's because the 17th century was before the creation of a bunch of things (the modern nation state, the modern standing army, the governmental monopoly on violence, the belief that war is immoral and should be illegal), and we are seeing their dissolution

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Where exactly is this the standard belief?
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/sep/14/making-war-illegal-changed-the-world-but-its-becoming-too-easy-to-break-the-law

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tunicate posted:

can you tell your teeth from someone else's?

yeah, the bottom left wisdom tooth was pulled and there's a chip on one of them from where i bit down on a chicken's crop stone by accident

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ulex minor posted:

i'm sorry, what?
chickens don't have teeth so they digest food by swallowing little stones and putting them in an organ called the crop. a little round stone got into my meat from somewhere and i assume it was that, like an accident at the butchers. I wasn't expecting it and crunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ulex minor posted:

for whatever reason i imagined you had been pecking along with them
it's calming