Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I have seen both the Ninjas and Cutco in Costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

I saw one for Experian triple dark web scan and it never explained the triple part
It's not a triple scan, it's a scan of the triple dark web.

Three times darker than the regular dark web.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MadDogMike posted:

While even as a preparer I’m sympathetic to the complaint about doing simple taxes being expensive, holy poo poo dear gently caress does the idea of “let the IRS do the taxes for you” give me chills because ahahaha they screw up SO much just reviewing the taxes at the moment. You want a scam, all those letters opening with “you owe this much” as opposed to “we found this discrepancy” is kind of one honestly. My understanding is something like a third of those CP2000 letters are flat out wrong on appeal and my personal experience is probably closer to half of them. Personal favorite last year was the person who got a $92,000 bill when it turned out on review the IRS owed them $1000 or so more. Prepping a 1040 based on their records and sending corrections falls down as a general rule because their records kinda suck (and a lot of tax info doesn’t even get sent to them; if you own your own business forget the IRS knowing much) and when they inevitably screw up how many people are going to know they did? They’ll just get a letter saying they owe such and such and pay it, which they already do too often in my experience with the audit letters. You’d just be moving the private tax company stuff to doing a ton of “corrections” later on rather than preparing the taxes the first time. Other countries’ taxes are easier because they avoid a lot of the rules about what you can get adjustments/credits for; you’re going to have to burn down the US tax code and restart from scratch (with a highly different philosophy behind the design) to make it that easy to avoid missing something. Or just go whole hog and make tax prep a public service only; fund the IRS enough to hire all those preparers themselves and offer it for free. Can’t call it a bad idea really...

As a serial killer, I find the idea of banning murder highly disturbing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

The subject of probate just came up in the iPhone thread, reminds me of a charming bit of mail I received last week.

My wife passed away in hospital, accruing a hefty amount of medical debt I’m sure. (I get mail most days of ‘not a bill, just for tax records’ breakdowns). In this state that debt doesn’t get passed on to me, but thank you to CPM Direct or whatever their name is for sending me a letter asking me to confirm my details so undoubtedly they could hound, I’m sorry I meant ‘empathetically enquire if I would like to do the right thing that my wife would surely want’, me to make payments to them I’m under no obligation to.

Glad to know going through hell isn’t enough for some people. I hope everyone in that company loses someone close to them.

Someday, this is going to happen to someone, and that person is going to buy a bunch of guns and shoot up the debt collection agency.

God, I hope I'm on that jury. You are allowed to award damages to the defendant in a criminal case, right?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

It's a standard scam. They ask for details and either use it for fraud in his name, or ask for a small payment to cover legal fees...which never stop and get bigger and end up luring him to the country and ransom for more money.

It's actually probably the standard fake check scam, where they send you a payment, have you take 6% of it and pass the rest off to someone else, and then the bank comes after you when the payment doesn't clear.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If your bank or credit union has bill pay, they will put the check in the mail for you. It's usually a free service.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Lowes Foods near me does that as well, and as a customer it's cute.

I couldn't imagine being a cashier having to listen to that all shift long. It's bad enough listening to the endless loop of Christmas music which starts early November.
There really should be OSHA regulations about how often you can play the same loving song.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mister Mind posted:

That’s just the way it is.

:wow:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

Smalls claims!
gently caress these people. Make them at least spend a few thousand saving the few hundred in fees.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

So my mother in law was saying someone contacted her through her business number, saying they had been withdrawing money from their bank account and they wanted it back. According to them, their bank gave them her company name and number. Which sounds absurd to me. And then a little later someone else called with the exact same story. A bunch of other red flags such as asking to be contacted back on different numbers to the one they called on, and to speak to a different person than was calling etc.

Anyone know anything about this? She didn’t pick up on it being a possible scam, but promptly told them where to go regardless.

It’s possible the people calling are victims of a scam themselves, and are being misled into calling her. These things always go deep!
Reach out to the banks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, they're loving wastelands. I wonder what's gonna happen to all that real estate? Several I've seen are being converted to big Super churches, speaking of scams.
Seattle is converting large portions of one into housing and a hotel.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

lol some bootlicker hosed up, congrats on your guilt free twenty bucks
Yup, this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

That's called ordering over the phone and then tipping the driver.
Except not every place has the volume to be able to keep a full-time delivery driver on staff. It would be nice if there were a service for shared delivery drivers that wasn't quite so rapacious.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tight aspirations posted:

I really don't understand how this isn't literal kidnapping and slavery.

You're thinking of children as people instead of chattel property.

We won't sign the UN Declaration on the Rights of the Child because it won't let us murder children.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't know if this is a con or a scam, but it seems like it.

A co-worker was looking for a second car and shopped the local dealers online. She found a few she was interested in, but when she called the dealer she was told the cars were not meant for retail sale and were going to an auction house. When she asked why they were being listed if they weren't meant for sale, she was told that all trade-ins are automatically listed on their sites. This happened with two different dealers.

She questioned this and was greeted with a moment of silence before the salesman offered to sell her a more expensive car.

This is a bait-and-switch, and at least in the U.S., is explicitly illegal. She should report the dealers to a state agency that handles consumer protection.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

I turned 40 the other week and all the ads and spam I'm getting switched over to older man spam immediately, it's depressing.

I'm a few months from 40, and just got a Steam ad for Power Washing Simulator.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

Are the roofing companies that come around a whole neighborhood after storms a scam? One showed up today that I'm considering. They say they'll do a free inspection, and then talk to my insurance and if they agree its storm damage, off we go. I have an old roof that needed replacement in the next few years anyway, so it seems like worst case insurance says they wont pay for a new one and I'm in the same place I was. The roofers pitching today look like a decent and longstanding outfit, and even if insurance does agree to replace I wouldn't necessarily need to use them. Is this just how roofers get work, or is there some other facet to this like trying to upsell?
If you Google "roofers knocking on doors after storm scam" there's a bunch of warnings (mostly from roofing companies, but a couple from insurance companies) about a lot of these people being fly-by-night scam artists who will do a lovely job on your roof then disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

So how many people fall for your cars warranty is about to expire? I find this the most exhausting, just because I have to pick up my phone, hoping for work, and nope, it's a scammer.

I can always shut them down with a simple question, "What kind of car do I own?" And yet they never stop.

I haven't owned a car in over ten years now, and I still get these calls. They aren't doing any sort of validation at all, just shotgunning out calls.