Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Scam phone calls, :mexico: edition:

A few weeks ago, I received a phone call from some dude claiming to be Col. Whatshisname, "chief of security of Cartel Whatever", saying that "two ladies" paid him to kick my rear end, but since he believes in fairness he sent a team of his finest men to investigate me, and then decided that I was actually a fine upstanding person and that the ladies where only losing his time and as such he was going to give them hell instead. Of course, he also mentioned how much money he spent in that investigation and was hoping for a "gesture of good will", and that I should not get cocky because his men were stationed one block from my house and ready to move at his command.
I must admit it was scary at first since the guy actually mentioned my name and address, but as he was spinning his yarn I realized anyone can pick a phonebook and pick any number at random, so I just hung up the phone.

drat it, prank callers are getting wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Powerlurker posted:

If you talk to a Chinese person, many of them will say the exact same things about Uyghurs that Europeans say about Roma. The famous scam in China is the "cut cake" scam. A vendor (almost always Uyghur) will have a trike with a gigantic qiegao (literally, "cut cake" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_cake ) and will usually refuse to tell you the price, but after they cut you a larger slice than you requested, will weigh it and charge you an extortionate rate and if you refuse to pay, they and their nearby friends will threaten you with the big knives they use to cut the cake.

This reminds me of another one common around here: A couple guys knock at your door and offer to mow your garden and trim off the trees for X amount of money. Once that's done, they demand you to pay way more than the agreed amount (usually they argue that the first amount was just to "do the job" but that didn't include things like taking away the trash or something like that) and, hey, they're the ones brandishing hedge trimmers and machetes.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The latest Reply All episode is goddamn wild. We've all heard tales of peeps sassing tech support scammers, but this guy took a completely different approach.
https://gimletmedia.com/episode/long-distance/

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

It's been a while since the last time I got a spam email like this! Classic style: